The Gables, New Basford...

Hiya,

Not sure if this is in the right place but trying to find some info on the net for my mum but can find Zilch,so hoping someone here can help!

My mum stayed in a place in the early 1960's when she was about 11...Called The Gables on Nottingham Road New Basford,she was originally told it was a childrens hospital,but then later told by her Mother it was a childrens home and she was put there for a few weeks.My mum has virtually no memory of this although she does remember her and the other kids being fed lots of pills..tranqilisers,anti depressives etc.

Does anyone remember this place and can tell me what sort of place it actually was!!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think this has been mentioned before, but there's a website with a  massive amount of information about many of the Nottingham hospitals.   http://www.nottinghamhospitalshistory.co.uk/inde

Like Ashley, I was born in that area, and also walked up and down Nottingham Rd, sometimes four times a day, to and from Claremont school in 1967, but never recall seeing any thing like that. The onl

Hi. I've just come across this thread after doing a Google search. I know it's 4 years out of date but I may be able to help. When I was a child I had nervous tics very badly and I was under a child p

There used to be a girls home on sherwood rise which is a continuation of nottingham rd. it was big old house next to baptist church and opposite the garage near gregory blvd. nottingham rd started the other side of herbert rd, there were lots of big houses hollis st to langtry grove, but none a girls home I know of

Also, towards the bottom end of Sherwood Rise (between Beech Avenue and Falcon Street) there is a nursing home run by Anchor Trust which is called The Gables.

It's a modern building, but often in those cases the old name is carried over from a previous building.

Thanks for the replies,

My mum also lived on Nottingham Road since birth until she married and said this place was just down the road from where she lived,she said there was a church nearby but not next door to it..Having spoken to her again we have worked out it must have been around 1967 she was there.

I have seen other places nearby with the name "The Gables" and also wondered if they were connected in any way but can find absolutly nothing online which I find annoying as usually you can find anything online!

• 4 weeks later...

Like Ashley, I was born in that area, and also walked up and down Nottingham Rd, sometimes four times a day, to and from Claremont school in 1967, but never recall seeing any thing like that.

The only two churches as far as I know were/are the one near the Gregory Blvd junction, and the one at the junction of Haydn Rd/Northgate, and Nottingham Rd, any idea as to which one it would have been near to?

• Upvote 1

Just a vague recollection but wasn't there a childrens home on one of the avenues - first, second or third? The houses there are certainly big enough.

There was a childrens home used by the Nottingham Social Services on Second Avenue . Do no recall the name but don't think it was the Gables. Gables Hotel also used by Social Services for some time to house homeless people (bed and breakfast) and victims of family abuse. Recall Several Social Services establishments in the area Will be speakaing to someone tomorrow who worked in them. Will Ask about the Gables

Bit off topic but re Hamilton Road, on there was an annexe to Claremont Sec School, A big detached house on south side of the road, I hated the place, no playground, it reminded me thinking back to a POW Camp with captives shuffling round the square garden path at break times! might in later years have been a National Assistance Board claim office? (which I bet local residents loved!) lol

I seem to remember there being a residential home about opposite the djanogly center or just a bit further down the hill towards the city, the main entrance was on Nottingham road and there was also a side entrance on one of the side roads leading off Nottm road but can't quite remember what that was called, I think the home may have been called the Gables though, this would be in the mid to late 90's

Rog

Spoke to my friend this morning, He is an ex childrens home worker and was employed at several homes on the City area, particularly Basford in the 1970's. Unfortunately he cannot recall an establishment using the name Gables but he will make some enquiries and if there is anything positive will let me know.

• 2 weeks later...

i worked at the childrens home at the bottom end (gregory blvd) in the late 80's when it was still a childrens home.

can't for the life of me remember what it was called, needless to say there were a few "characters" staying there male and female.

it did close down a few years after this probably early 90's

• 3 years later...

Hi. I've just come across this thread after doing a Google search. I know it's 4 years out of date but I may be able to help. When I was a child I had nervous tics very badly and I was under a child psychologist named Dr Arkle. When I was 13 (in 1969) she recommended that I go to a children's hospital somewhere in the Sherwood area that was called The Gables.I was quite excited about it but once I was there I had a terrible time. They tried various drugs on me, some of which made me pretty zombie like. There was compulsary PE in the morning where we were forced to keep trying things even though we were unable to do them (hanging with my hands inside a dirty steel girder and being told to move from one end to the other, for instance). We were told we had to watch the TV news every evening then each person had to say one story they remembered, but if your turn was near the end it was hard to remember something that hadn't already been mentioned, and there were punishments if you couldn't come up with an answer. But the worst thing was that there was a sadistic nurse named Nurse Hewlett who took delight in punishing misdemeanours by getting you out of bed in the morning, leading you downstairs by pulling on your ear, taking you into the shower room and spanking you. The place was more like a Borstall than a hospital and I was glad to get out of there eventually - I think I was there for a couple of months in total. I remember one boy in the dormitary who walked out in the middle of the night. When he was found and brought back they consficated his clothes overnight so he couldn't do it again.

Anyway I am sure this is the place that the OP is referring to. I can't remember the exact location but there was a Barclays or Natwest Bank across the road as one of our neighbours was the manager there.

Hope this helps

• Upvote 1

Crikey, Alan, that was awful. Sounds more of a punishment than a cure. The powers that be had some funny ideas of helping folks, in those days. It sounded more like the dark ages, than the 60's.

• Upvote 1

Seen the New Gables the other day. Spruced up a bit, but I think it takes homeless, refugees etc.

I wouldn't like to stay there anyway.

• 1 month later...

Hi my daughter Emma made the enquiry on my behalf 4 years ago . Alan b thank you for responding you have been a help .I was 14 when I was in there in 1967 have a lot of missing gaps and I believe it's possibly because I was so drugged up . The only nurse I remember was a nurse Kelly she was irish I found her terrifying but can't remember why . It's very odd though because it's like the place never existed as I've tried looking it up on the Internet and nothing comes up about it at all.

• 1 year later...

A long shot I know but there is a New Gables hotel corner of Pelham Rd and Hucknall Road. It is of a good size and looks late Victorian, early Edwardian and there's a Nat West opposite that's been there for years.

I think this is the place I was in in the 60's awful place
  • 1 year later...

Hi, Just found this site and not sure whether I'm adding this the right way.  I was in The Gables in 1966/67 and well remember Nurse Kelly, yes she was very frightening, but I'm not really sure why now.  I seem to remember there was also a really nice Nurse called Sister Tinsley. I had School Phobia and wad sent there as part of my treatment to get me back to school (I understood it to be part of St Ann"s Hospital). It was mixed and I shared a room with someone named Cathy, who had a boyfriend she Sebby Coombes and she came from Radford.  It wasn't a nice place and I remember that we all ran away one Sunday afternoon but came back later as we didn't really know where to go. I believe the house did become some sort of home later and it eventually burned down and was replaced by a modern building which I think was a Nursing Home. Oh its all coming back to me now, there was also two boys I remember being there at the time, a  ginger haired boy named Nick and a boy named Brian who came from Clifton.