As were are now definetly moving back to Notts! Yipee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

We would love to have some info on internet servers and who you would recommend. In France we have a great system that you pay around £40 per month for illimted use and all national telephone calls. Does this exist in UK.

Thanks

Wheres Dennis or Ilko....

Tell em lads B)

You get most things, but not sure if they thought to include Broadband yet.

Wheres the Moderator?. Move topic to Politiks? :rolleyes:

hi mick / darcy

with internet providers I'm afraid you makes your choice and pays ya money, there are that many to choose from all with varying taffifs and packages, some seem good value, but turn out to be just the opposite. others offer unlimited downloads, and others not, it's all really a bit of a minefield, you have to read the smallprint (if you can find it).. personally I've found NTL broadband to be as good as it gets, with the connection speed now being over 2mb(was 600k)at £25 per month.. but others swear by AOL, and BT internet, so it really is a case of suck it an C!

btw mick: what's sangat? (I used to be blonde 40 years ago)

You'd think the French Ex pats would know about, Sangat Refugee Transit Camp?

You get 2 gigs for £25, I only get 750k?

Should I complain?

sorry - should read mb - soz!

they updated the connection speeds several months ago with the 600k now being just over 2mb for £25 per month.. if you are paying this amount and only receiving 750k then get on the phone.. .. it was the next package down that was updated to 750k and this one works out at £17.99 per month..

there has been mention of a cap, but as far as I know I've not heard of anyone receiving a warning as yet.. but it remains to be seen.. it may stir up a bit of a hornets nest if they decide to enforce this restriction, after all, the sole reason for a having cable modem is speed and volume of download.

re only 750k .. have you turned your modem off for a length of time ? this sometimes resets the speed.. failing that a phonecall can set thing right from their end.. I had this problem a couple of years back and the chap on the phone increased the speed immediately (when I eventually got through).. .. good luck!

true to form I can't find any of my old bills, as soon as I get one I'll let you know what they say..

meantime download a bit of freeware from the likes of www.snapfiles.com

and check out what the download speed registers at.. bear in mind there might be a few odd slow servers, but I've found the majority of stuff comes down at way over 200 KB/sec..

got the new bill and it does indeed say 750k.

when I signed up a couple of years back it was advertised at 512k, then shortly after raised to 600k, it's the first time I've noticed the 750k on the bills.. the actual speed being over 200KB since the free upgrade..

• 2 weeks later...
Anybody on NTL finding it a tad slow the last week ?

I find NTL speeds are always fluctuating. whenever they get too slow sometimes using a different proxy server will speed it up for a while.

nott-cache-6.server.ntli.net port:8080 is the one I'm using at the moment and it's not too bad... if this one slows to a crawl, then altering the number 6 to another number (up to 15) usually sorts it out.

in internet explorer its tools/internet options/connections/lan settings/ click use proxyserver and enter the proxy address as above.

they're not called proxy servers on the phone system, they're known as poxy servers instead. you'll know when you're connected to one, it'll be playing either The Blue Danube, Handels Water Music, or Celine Dion, or sometimes if you're very very lucky, Danny O donnel, or Brendan Quinn!

Have heard of all the others, but who is Brendon Quinn??

Have I been asleep and missed a good singer, someone of the Danny O'Donnell class, please tell and I will make an exception and download some of his warblings?

A crazy crazy

nice motor but:

he's an Irish country singer, there's a link below,

bear in mind you don't have to buy the cd!

Brendan Quinn

<html>

<body bgcolor="#FFFFFF">

<p><em><strong><marquee align="middle" scrolldelay="98">. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . yoo hoo . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . </marquee></strong></em></p>

</body>

</html>

Thank goodness you don't have to buy the CD, the kids would have me in a home before you could say knife!

Quite a few names on that site ro conjour with, not heard of any of them but Mr O'Donnell. Thank you for the education bit.

A crazy crazy