The Old General

Can anyone remember an old soldier - well known in the 30's and 40's, who was known and referred to as "The Old General"

He had a chestful of shiny medals and always had a crowd around him. One of his favorite 'lines' was - "It took me 10 years to.......- polish these"

He could tell tales all day.

• 7 months later...

I remember going to " The old general " Pub and upstairs was a Stripshow and one night the Boys were a little boisterous and the Landlord was getting agitated and he stood on a chair and called for a little less noise and said " This is not a Phonographic Show You Know "---- Happy days

Thanks Kazah

Never knew the story behind the O.G.

If I remember correctly there was a Descriptive Plaque on the Statue of " The Old Gneral "

I remember going to " The old general " Pub and upstairs was a Stripshow and one night the Boys were a little boisterous and the Landlord was getting agitated and he stood on a chair and called for a little less noise and said " This is not a Phonographic Show You Know "---- Happy days

Found This bit of info !!!

http://www.nottshistory.org.uk/nottsimages/mayo-memorial.htm

• 1 year later...

In the 'Pubs closing down" thread, there's a mention that the Old General is being demolished/rebuilt as flats and shops. It's not the only thing connected with the Old General which is falling down.

Two years ago danny333 posted this link about the real, original Old General and his gravestone in Nottingham.

A few weeks ago I was in the General Cemetery looking for family history bits, and I came across the Old General gravestone, but it's now lying on the ground having fallen from its original position.

gen1.jpg

And this is where it should have been.

gen2.jpg

• 2 years later...

That is sad.

I lived in Bobbers Mill Road for some decades and it was a delight to see the Owd G dressed up as santa each Christmas when I was a child. I was down in Nottingham last week and the Owd G was still there but it was obvious that there was some building work going off.

The last time I was in the Old General pub was possibly 2009 when I had returned from Russia. I had travelled from a remote part of Russia, then to Moscow, then to London, then to Nottingham, and I wanted a pizza so I ordered one from the pizza place on the Radford Road station near to the tram, then went to my parents place in Selston via Hucknall. I called in the Owd G. I wondered how strange things occur. I lived for many years not far from the Owd G and never thought that I would ever call in there after travelling across half of the planet.

• Upvote 1

Re #6. I delivered the milk to The Old General in the mid 70s. I remember that lunchtime entertainment on a Sunday which was about the time I got there. Very enlightening.

If you are talking about the Clinton Arms on Shakespeare I knew the landlady Mrs Bliss very well back in the 70's.

There was a Clinton Arms at 536 Radford Road

Building is still there as a domestic property.