The Old General

• 3 weeks later...

If you are talking about the Clinton Arms on Shakespeare I knew the landlady Mrs Bliss very well back in the 70's.

If thats Chris, Robbie' i knew her in the 80s when she ran the pub on Carlton rd,

Great lass,...she worked with Bernard Manning,.......'Tassle Dance' was her speciality,.......and ended her act by 'Cartwheeling off the stage,.... :biggrin:

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

I have just received the following email

My name is Cleon I am part of the team on the refurbishment of the site known as the old general. I am happy to up date you with info on the on going development. I understand that the old general has got a lot of history with the area. Please contact me if there is any information I can pass on after it’s been ok by my director

Many thanks

I replied.

Hi Cleon

It would be great to see the Old General refurbished, and to see its progress on our site.
You will find members here very knowledgeable on local history.
Would be interested to see any photographic records of progress.
Search of the site for "Old General' reveals many posts refering to the pub, partricularly...
the old general
Please keep us updated
  • 3 weeks later...

Didn't they have a table skittle game and a shove ha'penny board on the bar in there or was it another pub further down? I remember calling in one Sunday lunchtime with my brother and vouching for him being old enough to drink and the barman asking if I was his mother cheeky sod.

• Upvote 2

A couple of years ago doing family history research, I was wandering around the General Cemetery (the one which goes from Canning Circus down to Waverley St), and I came across this lying propped up against a side wall. It's not actually connected to any grave; seems to be just randomly dropped in the nearest space.

old%20general.jpg

• Upvote 4
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

My husband and I met in the Old G he was working there part time(not the Old G) and I was out with the girls,that was in the 60s we got married in St Pauls just down the road.

Apparently when the new buildings done he will be incorporated back somewhere in the building.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...