Take a look at this link on Street view.

Beeston

What are those raised features on either side of the road? They've been there for as long as I can remember - eg at least early 60s - but apart from kids riding their bikes up and down them, I've never seen them used for anything. Were they connected with the former Barton depot which was immediately to the right of this image.

I'll hazard a guess that they are something to do with sewerage, or an old bridge that was there when the road was built

so possibly "bridge sides" left in place? maybe the old road raised in if not hump then bump there many moons ago? wasn't there something similar near "Crane Garage" (Burnetts or similar name?) on road to Long Eaton? also if I remember correctly for months years back wasn't there a temp wooden bridge or platform there? only about a ft high maybe scaffold and batterns which you drove over whilst some repairs done to culvert etc

Quite right about that temp bridge Ashley, it spanned the river Erewash, i think the river was being diverted at the time as part of the then new flood defences, the river ends in the lakes of the Attenborough nature reserve (old gravel workings) and eventually into the river Trent via a small overflow?levelling weir, as per the original post I was told it was some culvert that ran through the site of the old Barton bus depot

Rog