Shipside's were main dealers for Wolseley, MG, Morris and Vanden Plas. Atkey's were the main dealer for Austin and the rest of the BMC makes.

Although the place had closed down, you can still see some of the names on the building.

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NTGM002781&prevUrl=

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NTGM002784&prevUrl=

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I remember the number plate being on the Corniche I did lots ofJensens they were a nice motor good bird puller I was working on one in the showroom and when I turned round there was a woman standing

Not really relevant to this thread but to those who know about my ordeal with my first car, Pixie, the C3. She was bought from me on Tues for £150. I didn't want anything for it other than to no longe

I had a thames camper in the sixties me and my mate put a four speed gearbox in had the same problem we put a separate lever in between the drivers legs You had to make sure you were in neutral before

Posted Images

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Another dealer to add to the list is Goulders of Mapperley, Lancia dealers in the 1980s; I think their showrooms may have been the old Sytner showrooms.

And now for something rather older: I have just purchased a 1931 Austin Seven which was originally supplied by J Richards FIMT, Hucknall Road, Nottingham 65100. I assume FIMT stands for Fellow of the Institute of Motor Traders, although I cannot find anything about them! Does anyone know where Mr Richards garage might have been? This is his supplier's plate on the dashboard:

P1020934_zps02b48805.jpg

The registration plates have Newsome's name on them, presumably a later dealer involved in my car's life - H H Newson of Hyson Green,or a fore-runner of Renshaw and Newsome?

P1020933_zps70661dc2.jpg

Billy Richards. Radford Road. A bit further away from Wilkinson Street than the Police Station but on the same side of the road. Possibly between Beaconsfield Street and Belton Road but on the opposite side of the road. I remember his garage well, as well as the MkVII Jag that was in there and the Brough Superior with the crushed petrol tank that he was always going to put right. My Father used to take his Mk1 Consul there for MOT and he was a sort of family friend. There was a bakers on the opposite side of the road by the name of Leafs. My Fathers bro-in-law worked for them as a rep. whether or not it is the same Richards or a relative I cannot know.

Another dealer to add to the list is Goulders of Mapperley, Lancia dealers in the 1980s; I think their showrooms may have been the old Sytner showrooms.

That's right, I remember Goulder being there. When Lancia disappeared from Britain, Goulder had a general dealership on Alfreton Road just beyond The Wheatsheaf.

Regarding a garage on Hucknall Road -

May be a red herring, but there was a garage just south of Perry Rd on the eastern side of Hucknall Road - no 326-330. In the late 1960s or early 1970s it was called Le Marinel.

I believe this was also the site of Merchant Cars, owned by a previous production manager from P P Paynes. (whose name defeats me at the moment).. Later moved to Redhill.

Best not mention the business that sold me it or it's location but once bought a reliant with 6 months or whatever tax and mot, and was then told when they ran out to change the number plates on the car to those of a second log book I was given and re test with those (the real reg) on! Seemed to regard it as normal sales pitch!

Yes, after the nearby Teesdale Rd, on the corner of which for sometime there was a different car sales showroom in I think a former co-op, across the lights of Haydn Rd there was a sort of sports car garage that also dealt in traiils and scrambler motorcycles they were originally in an old building I think a bakery? off possibly Palm Street

The garage just across the traffic lights on Hucknall road that usually had a selection of trials bikes was John Ward Garages. John died a couple of years ago. He was the brother of Mike Ward, who owned another garage- Wards of Daybrook, until relocating to Minster Garage at Southwell quite a few years ago now.

Another place that used to sell off road motorbikes when we were kids was Ken Pritchard Motors, on a little side street just off Arkwright Street, near Brearley Smith;s shop. Ken relocated to the MG centre on Daleside road when the area was developed.

Richards Garage was started by John Richards in 1901 . In all their adverts in the Evening Post , can't see one that quotes a street number .

They do mention Austins a lot . Most of their adverts were just one line classified adverts for a single car. The earlier adverts did say "Hucknall Rd, Carrington" if that helps. Still advertising in 1950 .

This is one of the larger adverts from 1933 which says they had been trading for 32 years .

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8654/16230326359_2e14486e0f_o.jpg

Richards Garage was started by John Richards in 1901 . In all their adverts in the Evening Post , can't see one that quotes a street number .

They do mention Austins a lot . Most of their adverts were just one line classified adverts for a single car. The earlier adverts did say "Hucknall Rd, Carrington" if that helps. Still advertising in 1950 ...

That's great, David, many thanks. It sounds like the location may well be Teesdales mentioned by Ray and Ashley.

... It sounds like the location may well be Teesdales mentioned by Ray and Ashley.

Hmmm... Then again,perhaps not. I've found these photos of Teesdale Garage in the 1930s and the 1950s, and no mention of Mr Richards:

136Teesdales_zps74c709cb.jpg

1955Teesdales_zps479e15b7.jpg

It looks like the partners were Bogue and Slaney, and a different phone number ... so the search goes on!

• Upvote 1