There used to be an old photo on “Picture the Past” showing a garage called Richards that sold Austin cars. It was situated on Hucknall Road near Hamilton Road at Carrington. Currently on the site is a filling station and I believe it’s no 33.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I remember the number plate being on the Corniche I did lots ofJensens they were a nice motor good bird puller I was working on one in the showroom and when I turned round there was a woman standing

Not really relevant to this thread but to those who know about my ordeal with my first car, Pixie, the C3. She was bought from me on Tues for £150. I didn't want anything for it other than to no longe

I had a thames camper in the sixties me and my mate put a four speed gearbox in had the same problem we put a separate lever in between the drivers legs You had to make sure you were in neutral before

Posted Images

There used to be an old photo on “Picture the Past” showing a garage called Richards that sold Austin cars. It was situated on Hucknall Road near Hamilton Road at Carrington. Currently on the site is a filling station and I believe it’s no 33.

Brilliant! That's the place - in fact the car on the left could almost be my car :jumping:

Well, after that little detour, back onto the main topic!

In trying to find Mr Richards, I looked up Nottingham in my old RAC Handbook of 1927, and here is a list of RAC Approved Agents:

Bridgford Garage & Autocar Ltd, 19 Loughborough Road, West Bridgford.

Carrington & Notts Motor Co, Hucknall Road.

Challand Ross & Co Ltd, Canal Street.

Cottee & Edwards, Castle Boulevard.

Huskinson & Ashwell Ltd, 96-98 Derby Road.

Kendalls Ltd, North Church Street.

Midland Motor Co, Central Garage, Ropewalk.

C E Norris, Trent Bridge.

Sharpe's Garage, Mapperley Plains.

W Shepherd, Melton Road Garage, West Bridgford.

Sherwood Garage, Cavendish Hill, Sherwood.

S H Stephenson, Lady Bay Garage, Redcliffe Road, West Bridgford.

Thurland Garage, King Edward Street.

Trent Bridge Motor Co, Arkwright Street.

Wood & Beck, 1a Albert Road, West Bridgford.

Presumably the number of dealers in West Bridgford reflected the more affluent side of the City!

Want wor it? Naa, Wor it?

Wasnt oscrofts on london rd,not sure ,vauxhall dealers,and remember

the advert on the bridge crossing arkwright st,but that one near bathley st only seemed like a little concern.

Yes Cliff Ton think your right,photo somewhere I am sure.

I only remember Oscrofts as being on Castle Boulevard, not Arkwright Street.

They were on Castle Boulevard, (Vauxhall dealers), but I thought he had a garage on Arkwright street... maybe I am just thinking of his big advert on the bridge.

• Upvote 1

Denshaw,can you remember it ,back end would have come out near that little cafe we were all looking for a few months back,would have been

near that cinema.

Well done yet again Cliff Ton,the cinema gone .

Just noticed concrete mixer in the picture just going round on to london rd,probably me dad heading into town from holme peirpoint .

old man oscroft committed suicide back in the late 60s I think it was, he put an hose pipe from his car exhaust into his car, he parked his car on his premises on castle boulevard the body was found on Monday morning.

• Upvote 1

Behind that plastic of star garage were/are 2 large glass windows,the one on the left used to have cars for sale in it, outside those windows were 2 or 3 petrol pumps with long "arms" that swung out over the pavement, my mother told of a tale where she went to use the phone box in the blackout and fog during ww2 on opposite side of Nottingham Rd and finished up trying to make the call from one of the petrol pumps! I always took that story with a pinch of salt but since they have been turning the street lights off after midnight in Ratcliffe can well believe it I think originally it was called Roper's Garage, can recall old man Roper in 1960's and his son who took it over later

• Upvote 1

Ashley,

I have just been reading the posts on this thread and back in 2010 you mention Smith's scrap yard just over the bridge at Basford and you couldn't remember the son's name or I cannot find it in these postings.

The son's name was Ron, he was a big lad who could look after himself. I also think his dad was also called Ron and they lived at Bestwood Park.

Ron Smith's son is also named Ron, his daughter is named Michelle.

The scrapyard at Moorbridge has now got industrial units built on there, proposed EEC regulations killed many scrapyards off.

Out of interest can anyone remember the yard before Ron Smith bought it ? It was Thomas Long ltd Skip Hire.