mikeC you mention Goulders of Mapperley top .I'm sure a Goulder joined our class at Gedling Sec Mod in the mid 60s . We were a bit in awe of him then as he was buying and selling cars when only aged about 16 !

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I remember the number plate being on the Corniche I did lots ofJensens they were a nice motor good bird puller I was working on one in the showroom and when I turned round there was a woman standing

Not really relevant to this thread but to those who know about my ordeal with my first car, Pixie, the C3. She was bought from me on Tues for £150. I didn't want anything for it other than to no longe

I had a thames camper in the sixties me and my mate put a four speed gearbox in had the same problem we put a separate lever in between the drivers legs You had to make sure you were in neutral before

Posted Images

hi everyone I worked in 1955 at Holbrookes garage on Wollaton street next door was a blacksmith who used to make new leafs for road springs he was called Frank really grumpy chap I recall then at Blue star garage at the junction of Alferton road and Radford boulervard famous for its battery sales then the coop at chapel bar on the end of coop house and then to Wheelhouse on mapperly plains best job I ever had driving cars that Clarkson would die for Blue star garages were numerous in the fifties they had adverts on Tv am an old man now and if I lift the bonnet on my car now I don't recognise anything how times have changed Bill

• Upvote 1

There was a blue star garage on trent bridge at the start of London Road. Later it became a Texaco filling station, i think. I remember buying a batttery for my mini there in the '70's. It seemed a big deal then, saving up for a new battery. Blue star ones had a good reputation. I managed to get a higher capacity one intended for a Rover 2000 to fit. It outlived the car.

On Lower Parliament Street (where Argos is now) used to be Cripps who sold Humber and Hillman cars.

I've got a feeling that opposite (where Wilko's is today and previously housed Sainsbury's and Co-op) there used to be another car retailer. Maybe Atkey's?

Yes, Atkeys. I think they moved to Huntingdon St. next to Hopewells and opened a "Mini Clinic" on the site subsequently occupied by Sytner. I certainly remember driving my Mini up the ramps.

Also, at the bottom of Arkwright St. near the station, there was "The Chequered Flag", on both sides of the road, who sold second hand sports cars especially Triumph TR"s. There was also Mitchells on Tollhouse road, next to the big Co-Op who were the Triumph dealers. They amalgamated with Trumans to form Truman Mitchell and moved down Derby Road to where Jaguar and Lexus are now. I think it was Mann Egerton after Truman Mitchell.

Phil

I've got a feeling that opposite (where Wilko's is today and previously housed Sainsbury's and Co-op) there used to be another car retailer. Maybe Atkey's?

I don't recall any car dealer there, but Atkey's were certainly somewhere on Parliament Street.

atkey.jpg

can any body remember MOONS bargain basement on shakespear st, you could buy dead cheap cars everything from morris 10 to a Austin A40 sommerset anything from about £10 to about £30 guaranteed all goers,, well sometimes

The Chequered Flag was the double-fronted unit just before the parked cars. As a kid, I used to drool over a white Jaguar XK140 they had in the window.

#166 The garage that took over from Blacknells was Nottingham Sports Car Centre, it was fairly short-lived as I recall. You can just make it out on the signage.