• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I remember the number plate being on the Corniche I did lots ofJensens they were a nice motor good bird puller I was working on one in the showroom and when I turned round there was a woman standing

Not really relevant to this thread but to those who know about my ordeal with my first car, Pixie, the C3. She was bought from me on Tues for £150. I didn't want anything for it other than to no longe

I had a thames camper in the sixties me and my mate put a four speed gearbox in had the same problem we put a separate lever in between the drivers legs You had to make sure you were in neutral before

Posted Images

There was another car dealer on Lower Parliament st, opposite the old ice stadium between the 2 bus garages, in the seventies it was Hanger motors.

This is the site in the early sixties. Hangers were a Ford dealer I think.

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NTGM001398&pos=726&action=zoom&id=52844

Bennetts Garage Ltd, 24-30 Shakespeare Street, est. 1906

Accommodation for 300 cars, never closed.

Distributors or agents for, Rolls-Royce, Standard, Austin, Ford, Morgan, British Britannia, Evinrude and Elto outboard engines.

AA and RAC Repairers

Wow not been on here for a long time, cos I am a computer retard................ But I have worked at Atkeys and they were on Church Street Lenton not far from the White Hart !!!!!

I also worked at Cripps on Lenton Lane, and Replacement Services and Brown Brothers both on Parliament Street.

Stan Raynor was my next door neighbour of Raynor & Wilson.

Ooooooo and why was you swe62 not at Pete's 75th Birthday drink down the White Hart Last Friday ??

Cheers All Edgar Jessop.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 months later...

A previous boss of mine served his time at Shipsides, when he was 17 he went for his driving test in one of the first Minvans made.

Examiner was much more interested in the van than his driving !

#215 Photo brings back the memories, the building behind Shipsides was the old Brook street GPO sorting office, I did my TOT (technical officer training), on maintenance there.

The window opposite the exact top back corner of the Shipsides building was our tea room, and I spent literally hours looking out that window wishing I was somewhere else.

Maintenance was pretty boring till we had a breakdown, then they brought in a new system called pre planned maintenance, to service the machinery on a hours run basis to hopefully stop them breaking down !

IIRR, the top floor of Shipsides (#3214) was also used for storage of new vehicles.

Seem to recollect in 56-57 going into that building and upstairs with my father when he was looking at getting a new car.

Had all the various models and colours up there en masse. He was looking at getting a new Austin Cambridge.

Got a new Humber Hawk instead.

Does anyone remember Simmys Motors second hand car dealer in Basford during the 50s and 60s?.Simmy himself used to drive a Canadian Ford Mercury left hand drive a bit of a larrikin the car had musical horns and a big number plate on the back which read Nottingham.

Bazza

Cripps moved around a bit in that area. In the 1970s, their head office was at Lenton Lane on the site of this building https://goo.gl/maps/Pvg5V.

There were two parts to the business; one which sold cars, and one which sold construction/agricultural machinery. If you swing that Streetview image to the right you will see two large warehouses, one is now Walters Cash & Carry, and one is Bampton Packaging. Those two units were both part of Cripps when their head office was on the Big Yellow site.

And Cripps sold cars where the Honda dealer is now on Lenton Lane.

• Upvote 1