Can you remember that far back when there were big coppers!

I can also remember that far back when Coppers DIDN'T look like schoolkids! :unsure:

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I remember the number plate being on the Corniche I did lots ofJensens they were a nice motor good bird puller I was working on one in the showroom and when I turned round there was a woman standing

Not really relevant to this thread but to those who know about my ordeal with my first car, Pixie, the C3. She was bought from me on Tues for £150. I didn't want anything for it other than to no longe

I had a thames camper in the sixties me and my mate put a four speed gearbox in had the same problem we put a separate lever in between the drivers legs You had to make sure you were in neutral before

Posted Images

Does anyone have any photos of the Cripps building by any chance?

This is when the building was being demolished in 2008. Cripps had disappeared many years before, and it was finally occupied by Northern Foods (Pork Farms).

These are from the ring road looking towards Lenton Lane.

crip1.jpg

crip2.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

hi everyone I worked in 1955 at Holbrookes garage on Wollaton street next door was a blacksmith who used to make new leafs for road springs he was called Frank really grumpy chap I recall then at Blue star garage at the junction of Alferton road and Radford boulervard famous for its battery sales then the coop at chapel bar on the end of coop house and then to Wheelhouse on mapperly plains best job I ever had driving cars that Clarkson would die for Blue star garages were numerous in the fifties they had adverts on Tv am an old man now and if I lift the bonnet on my car now I don't recognise anything how times have changed Bill

That was my grandads garage on wollaton street...my dad worked worked with my grandad then opened a place on alfreton road called motax....

• Upvote 1

hi everyone I worked in 1955 at Holbrookes garage on Wollaton street next door was a blacksmith who used to make new leafs for road springs he was called Frank really grumpy chap

That was my grandads garage on wollaton street...my dad worked worked with my grandad then opened a place on alfreton road called motax....

Welcome to Nottstalgia ceeaych.

This photo might just bring back a few memories (and for meeowd who hasn't been here for a few months). This is Wollaton Street in the 1950s and on the right of the photo you can just see the beginning of WV Holbrooke's garage.

wollaton%20st.jpg

• Upvote 2

Hi all I'm new to this site, just a few observations

Car sales - 333 Mansfield Road Siddon's Garage Citroen and Ford dealer. now Lidl.

There was a small car showroom on Parliament Street next to the Dog and Partridge not sure if it was Atkeys, Shipsides or even Cripps The bottom of the showroom window was a deep concave glass.

Cripps certainly had a presence in many areas around Nottingham as well as the car showroom on Parliament Street there was the Triumph Road depot which had workshops for heavy construction, plant equipment, agricultural, commercial vehicles, fuel injection shop, engine reconditioning shop. At Abbey Bridge was also a major body shop, these were all closed and moved to Lenton Lane shortly after being taken over by Henlys.

Hi Davep5491, I think I know who you are, if your wife's name is Barbara and worked at Raleigh on Triumph Rd?

Hi Kath, Yep I've been sussed, hope you are both well.

Cripps Triumph Road also had a great viewing gallery where every day we could watch all the Raleigh office lovelies going for their lunch, perhaps not so nice for yourselves.

• Upvote 1

#231.

When that garage was demolished & a new one built in it's place, was the first garage i worked at as a apprentice, that was in '67, was a "Cleveland" garage now flats built there.

I remember on nice days, Dave, all the young lads at Cripps would sit outside their workplace on the pavement watching the girls go by. I never made eye contact, but would get past as fast as I could.

• Upvote 1

Hi all....thanks for the welcome..I have been around the motor trade all of my life,as was my father and grandfather....thanks for the image of my Grandads garage on Wollaton St...I have seen this one ,but its nice to see again..my Dad had a place on Alfreton Road called MOTAX..it was a few yards up from the junction of Bentinck Road..my earliest memories as a child are of here...I spent many years serving petrol during my school days at my Uncles garage on St Albans Road in Bulwell..(Mainline Service Station)...then helped in the workshop...on leaving school I went to work for my Dad in his Video Shop on Alfreton Road ,then back to the garage as a salesman....I got to meet many Arfur Daley type characters along the way...most have passed on now...but there names still linger....Malc Donlan,Tony Carr,Malc Johnstone,Angus McKay,Rex Willoughby,Bruce PearceJohn Mills amongst a few...and still see quite a few that are still going strong....ps..how do I post a pic..?..thanks again..Chris Holbrook (ceeaych)

• Upvote 2

ceeaych, to post pictures on Nottstalgia you'll need to use one of the photo-sharing sites such as Photobucket, Flickr, or Picasa. If you already use them you'll know what to do; if you don't have one, you just need to sign on to create an account.

I worked for your grandfather from leaving school in 1955 he was a great boss He used to race speed boats at stoke bardolph and as a youngster we had to clean and polish the underneath of the hull to make it go faster I worked under Ray Rossling who was an incredible mechanic he would tackle anything he later went on to car sales for zipzer motors at trent bridge I saw motors Clarkson would die for your grandfather was rather portly a distinct disadvantage when it came to racing he once took me out sat on the side of the speed boat as they were only single seat I have never been so terrified in all my life how he got it turned round on the trent I cant imagine wonderful memories of the best job I ever had you must be vey proud of him

• Upvote 3

I worked for your grandfather from leaving school in 1955 he was a great boss He used to race speed boats at stoke bardolph and as a youngster we had to clean and polish the underneath of the hull to make it go faster I worked under Ray Rossling who was an incredible mechanic he would tackle anything he later went on to car sales for zipzer motors at trent bridge I saw motors Clarkson would die for your grandfather was rather portly a distinct disadvantage when it came to racing he once took me out sat on the side of the speed boat as they were only single seat I have never been so terrified in all my life how he got it turned round on the trent I cant imagine wonderful memories of the best job I ever had you must be vey proud of him

Sadly,I never met my Grandfather..he died before I was born..I have pictures of him on his boats..I will try and put them on for you..

• Upvote 1