the photo of holbrooks garage you can just see the rear of your grandfathers sunbeam Talbot 90 he also used to be friends with howitts the printers and they had a large twin diesel cruiser that was moored near trent bridge we had to refuel it with 5 gallon jerry cans when they were off for a gin palace cruise to Newark we also did the engine overhaul on a large six seater speed boat a real monte carlo job never thought I would see a picture of the garage thanks so much

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I remember the number plate being on the Corniche I did lots ofJensens they were a nice motor good bird puller I was working on one in the showroom and when I turned round there was a woman standing

Not really relevant to this thread but to those who know about my ordeal with my first car, Pixie, the C3. She was bought from me on Tues for £150. I didn't want anything for it other than to no longe

I had a thames camper in the sixties me and my mate put a four speed gearbox in had the same problem we put a separate lever in between the drivers legs You had to make sure you were in neutral before

Posted Images

in reply to a previous post edgar Jessop was right I used to get spares from atkeys on church st lenton they then moved to the building on the railway bridge at Radford bottom of Ilkeston road the counter man had an amazing memory he knew every part number for anything you went in for meeowed

• 1 month later...

I used to spend a lot of my time gazing in those windows as a teenager. Funny though, whilst I saw Lotus, I don't recall ever seeing a single TVR in there. One of my favourite cars at the time was the TVR Griffith.

• 4 weeks later...

Another landmark building is about to disappear - not an architectural joy but one that many people know and refer to when describing an area. The old NCV - Nottingham Commercial vehicles - site on Bulwell Common is fenced off in readiness for being demolished to make way for a new Aldi store. It has not been owned by NCV for years, but its name was maintained by subsequent owners and users.

The business was born in the 1950s when a man named Barker, who had been the manager of the commercial vehicle business of builder F Evans, located at the bottom of Bedford Grove, off Highbury Road, decided to form his own commercial vehicle-build business, building bodies of vans, lorries and other things on rolling chassis. Our father, who knew Barker when he worked as the foreman painter and sign writer at Evans, became his sign writer when dad left Evans to work for himself. Barker eventually sold the business and it continued for some years before finally finishing. It then became the home of various car sales and repair outfits, keeping the NCV name. So, goodbye NCV.

I've just noticed, on the side of the van, that Raleigh made toys. I don't remember that.

NCV_zpsvcq4qvf0.jpg

• Upvote 1

Does anyone remember Widdowsons Garage on Wollaton Road near Raleigh Island ?. They had a restored motorbike in the front window for years. I bought it. It was a BSA A7SS, 500cc. It was a lovely bike,in metalic green, but the sunlight had faded the side in the window so it looked a bit odd.

Frank was a pal of mine, him and Geoff had a garage full of tasty gear E types series one land rovers bikes and all sorts don,t know what happened to them after Geoff died.

Does anyone remember Widdowsons Garage on Wollaton Road near Raleigh Island ?. They had a restored motorbike in the front window for years. I bought it. It was a BSA A7SS, 500cc. It was a lovely bike,in metalic green, but the sunlight had faded the side in the window so it looked a bit odd.

I think I know the one you are referring to; it was demolished a while ago. It used to be where these new houses now are and this Streetview confused me at first because it's very different to the last time I saw the place. https://goo.gl/maps/gvZOC

Re #265. I was working at Raleigh when that lorry was registered, and I cannot think of any toys that they made. Unless you class a 3 wheel trike for little kids, a toy.

• 2 weeks later...

Borrowed this from the RCTS site so it's really a railway photo, but the stuff on the right is also Nottstalgia material. This is London Road bridge looking towards Sneinton around 1966. In those days - and until fairly recently - there was a Ford dealer in the buildings to the side, variously Arriva, Sandicliffe, Cowies, etc etc.

And in the early days it was Carter Gate motors (Carter Gate now being Lower Parliament Street). A great old Scammell recovery vehicle.......and a train coming in off the old Melton line.

carter_1.jpg

• Upvote 1

Katy #265

Sorry I've just realised that the Thames Trader vehicle was registered in 1964 whereas the pics I posted #276 would have been early to mid 70s. Not sure if plastics were that advanced in 64 so the question remains, what toys did Raleigh produce in 1964.