• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I remember the number plate being on the Corniche I did lots ofJensens they were a nice motor good bird puller I was working on one in the showroom and when I turned round there was a woman standing

Not really relevant to this thread but to those who know about my ordeal with my first car, Pixie, the C3. She was bought from me on Tues for £150. I didn't want anything for it other than to no longe

I had a thames camper in the sixties me and my mate put a four speed gearbox in had the same problem we put a separate lever in between the drivers legs You had to make sure you were in neutral before

Posted Images

3 hours ago, fogrider said:

davep4591's post fills in a lot of useful details about the plant and repairs side. I wonder , Dave,( or anyone who may know), did one of the managers on the plant side have a very old Rolls Royce ?  Certainly employed under the Cripps company name,

Regards all

I am not aware of this but I'm out on Tuesday night with 4 ex Cripps men I worked with in the 60s. It's a long shot but I'll see if anyone knows. A few of the old Cripps plant men went to Sinbad Plant.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, IAN123. said:

Before i moved to Eire..Dick in Oakdale Garage had a spanking Rover P5B..1973...it was only £2700..tried my best..but herself put her foot down with a firm hand.

Was it a black one?

I came very close. It was a Nottingham city registered car (TO I think), but black wasn't available as a 'standard' colour on a P5B and was only available to special order. Even then it was very cheap at £2700. I would still like to know who the first owners were. I have no idea where the car is now.

Having a beer with some ex Cripps men ! brilliant, davep5491, enjoy!

My Commer is a 1958 Mk1V Superpoise, supplied, of course, by R Cripps.

• Like 2

Very nice Fogrider!

I did have a Commer Corgi set as a kid..it had varying detatchable liverys..Ambulance etc...from Pearsons.

RE: the Rover on Oakdale..this was 1996..roughly Malcolm..i had never seen black before..i thought it had been wafted over..nope- all original..with a windscreen visor.

Should have bought it.

On YouTube is an old Top Gear feature on P5B Coupes...stunning.

It would be around 1996 when I saw it there. I used to drive for a local coach company picking up mentally handicapped and people with learning difficulties. Used to pick up opposite Oakdale Garage up a side street giving me plenty of time for a good look. Run finished at a place for educating these near the top of Ransom Road. Springwood I think it was called.

Thanks Ian that's the one ,I can remember buying a year old Viva from there. We went in it to San Palais sur Mer near Royan camping in 1976, all the way there and back  with a home made extra large roof rack and all overloaded. When we arrived back in Plymouth the red hot summer had arrived and the car started over heating, the only way to continue was all the windows open and heater on full. Its a long way back to Hucknall like that with 2 travel sick kids in the back complaining.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, catfan said:

Column gear change (3 speed) was the only minus point.

I had a Thames van with a straight 6 Zephyr engine and 4 speed box - the gear change was "challenging" and reverse was on a separate lever behind the driver's seat - didn't half go well though !

• Like 2

my Rover P4 was sold by Zipsers on  Radcliffe Road in 1993 and was strpped and left in Myfords garage in Beeston for 25 years,I bought it in a million bits and rebuilt it ,Marysia Zipser is still in business in Beeston she is Mytiek Zipsers daughter,The Rover still has the Zipser sticker in the back windowand an unused tax disc holder in the glovebox

On 8/22/2018 at 11:50 PM, roger peatman said:

Anglo American was owned by Barry Shevalls - a well known and successful top fuel drag racer.

Barry is still around Notts he was brought up on Emerys Road in Gedling him and his brother Dave started racing with a jag engined Austin seven called Pony Express,Barry went on to be one of the best european top fuel racers ,he started drag racing at about the same time as us ,he worked for a firm who used to make audio cables in Beeston and Dave used to work the doors in Notts clubs ,they are still hiring out cars for film and tv work from around the old tv studios in Lenton

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, denshaw said:

Any idea who had a place on Foxhill rd Carlton, they used to build special one off cars sometimes for TV. Saw a Dr who car built in there once.

Pete Ferris - had a workshop near the pub on valley road (2nd Avenue) ?

He had a very tricked up Plymouth Super Bee.

• Like 2

Pete also built the Doctor who  three wheeler flying saucer berger viton tin of paint roller skate all on google he also built to my mind the best model t this country has seen with a 389 pontiac in it hes just finished an el camino ,a sixties style t with a small block chevy and is currently working on a sports car project we,ve been pals for more years than I care to think about ,oh  yes he

still owns and flies his vintage Auster plane.

• Like 1

I had a thames camper in the sixties me and my mate put a four speed gearbox in had the same problem we put a separate lever in between the drivers legs You had to make sure you were in neutral before you pulled it or you could get two gears together it worked fine otherwise and fitted another cylinder head I think from a Zephyr four it was higher compression 13inch wheels and brake servo when we found out we could not stop the thing on smaller wheels Went round switzerland several time with it great days  meeowed

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

I recall me and my mate doing several mods to it We fitted four headlights antiroll bars front and back electric radiator fan spotlight on the drivers door and a tigers head that lit up inside when you opened the side door 8track stereo of course six chrome pipes out the side just for show and michelin x tyres worked well but a pain to park up if you got boxed in forget it your walking  Our party trick was to get alongside flat hat fred and his bird in his MG midget then slap it into top and wave bye bye meeowed

• Like 2