On 11/1/2013 at 1:28 PM, plantfit said:

There was always a cartoon type advert in the NEP for Shipsides, drawn by a guy named Keith Armstrong, He signed his cartoons "KARM"

Very nice chap, he was in the NEP a few years back for having a "pet" fox. I believe he lived in the Bestwood lodge area.

Would be nice to see those cartoons again if anyone has a picture or copy of the NEP from the 60s/70's

Rog

T_ShipsidesLtd1971.jpg

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I remember the number plate being on the Corniche I did lots ofJensens they were a nice motor good bird puller I was working on one in the showroom and when I turned round there was a woman standing

Not really relevant to this thread but to those who know about my ordeal with my first car, Pixie, the C3. She was bought from me on Tues for £150. I didn't want anything for it other than to no longe

I had a thames camper in the sixties me and my mate put a four speed gearbox in had the same problem we put a separate lever in between the drivers legs You had to make sure you were in neutral before

Posted Images

Never owned a Austin or Morris but back in 1960's almost bought an Austin A40 as a first car but then I saw a Triumph Herald with its walnut dash, pale grey with red upholstery. It served us well until some clown hit us bang on the nearside rear wheel, it was repaired but somehow never felt the same on the road. Ended my time in the UK with a Ford MKII Cortina. First company car I drove from the pool was an olive green Ford Granada Ghia 3 litre, glad I wasn't paying for the fuel.

The automotive components company I worked for in Oz bought cars in proportion to the sales it had with major OEM's. Best car I had there was a top of the line Nissan Skyline with a silky smooth and very willing 3 litre straight six. As the family grew we needed a bigger car so ended up with Ford Falcons until just before I left they gave me a Holden Commodore, very poor build quality and bits of interior trim were always falling off.

For those on here that have been in Oz General Motors have just announced that they are exiting Australia so the Holden brand is no more. 700 jobs will be lost at head office and probably thousands more as all the dealerships close or downsize to service facilities only.

From being able to design and manufacture a car from the ground up, thanks to the economic rationalists, we now have only a few component manufacturers left. I wonder what we will do if we are ever involved in any major conflicts, a couple of months supply of fuel for cars, trucks and aircraft,

no tyres and more importantly no skills.

General Motors here have sold off Vauxhall and Opel. Its now owned by Peugot/Citroen. Vans are now appearing on the roads claiming to be Vauxhall but are just rebadged Pugs!

• Like 1
  • 10 months later...
On 11/19/2015 at 2:38 PM, meeowed said:

can you remember gorse hill garage now a mini market it was run by two brothers who constantly argued and somewhere in between there and wheelhouse the maggot farm The chap who ran it had an old ex wd Hillman pick up and it was alive all over the floor and everywhere they refused to look at it because of the stench years ago I had a similar experience with a Bedford doormobile they sometimes sheared the steering column gear lever off usual procedure was to clamp a pair of mole grips on the column and drive it back I jumped in to be met with an horrendous stink you could not get a breath it was full of pig swill the boss would not let it in the garage Meeowed

Yes, I remember Gorse Hill Garage, I was born just opposite and watched it being built just after the war when I was a kid! The owners were Dennis Miles and Bill Allen (not brothers) and you are right, they did not get on well! They used to let me do odd jobs around the garage and gave me a lifelong interest in cars.

Gorse Hill garage used to sell Howard rotovators. My uncle bought one for his smallholding. I still have it in working condition at the back of my garage. Chick Wheelhouse also had it. I remember having a test drive in a Lotus there. Its now some sort of minimart with a car wash.

• 3 months later...

Sign of the times.

The site on Loughborough Road, West Bridgford, which used to be B & K Thomas (and later various Ford dealers, and even later all kinds of odds-and-sods) has just opened as a Tesla dealership.

FJ2paHJ.jpg

On 8/9/2018 at 8:10 PM, fogrider said:

well, I've just learnt more about the Rolls Royce owner, this may go back too far for Nottstalgians !  ! 

The mans name was George Henry Neale, Kegworth address. His involvement with Cripps was apparently in the mid thirties so I rather think that is specific research. 

Definitely on the heavy plant side, Scammels are mentioned as well as Abbey Lane.

Hello! Please tell me more! The Rolls-Royce you referred to has just been restored and now lives in Surrey. I am writing an article about its restoration for The Automobile magazine so I would like to learn as much as I can about it. The owner does not use the internet so has not undertaken much research himself, but he has obtained original factory records from the Rolls-Royce Enthusiasts' Club which confirms it was ordered through R Cripps for Mr. Neale. I am working to a very tight deadline so I would be grateful for a quick response.

Many thanks,
Zack Stiling

Zack, I can't remember what that was all about, I was looking into a few things at the time, Cripps, Dakins,  there must be a few more responses to look at but I can never find anything on here, maybe some of the regulars with the expertise to point you to the original discussion will chime in ?

Apologies and regards, 

The Search facility on this site can be a bit confusing, but this might help.  It's best if you're using a desktop computer, or at least a laptop.

Look at the top right corner of the home page - under where you log in.

Put Cripps (or whatever) in that box. It will list all instances of the word appearing.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I wish Saab were still going. Ordered a Swedish product this week and the quality reminded me about the best car I have ever had. When the Yanks bought them it was the beginning of the end. The Saab engineers could not be browbeaten into design and manufacturing compromises to cut costs, so the US owners eventually gave up.

I still have our cars serviced by ex Saab mechanics. 

Back in the sixties a mate of mine had a two stroke SAAB 96. When we were at tech, one night after a few beers he was a bit worse for wear and asked me to drive him home. I'd never driven a two stroke car before and when approaching a greater than 90deg corner somewhat faster than I should have done I confidently dropped it down two gears to slow the car and nothing happened except that the rev counter nearly went off the scale. A rather panic application of the brakes and the fact that there was nothing coming the other way served to help save the day. Apparently he told me later that it had some sort of freewheeling transmission that could be engaged/disengaged by pressing a pedal in the footwell that allowed engine braking without starving the cylinders of lubrication.

In the 70s-80s I had two Saab 99s (not both at the same time).  The first was a good car, and I ultimately regretted getting rid of it after a couple of years (purely for the sake of a change).

The second - a few years later - was the worst car I've ever owned in more than 45 years of car ownership. It had several recurring faults which could never be identified or fixed by Nattriss, and I eventually sold it privately to someone...and he continued to have problems with it.

I believe Saab latterly had a showroom on Haydn Rd. now occupied by a Subaru dealership. It’s never been a make I lusted over but they did have considerable rally successes. Went I used to go to Sweden it was either Saab or Volvo, not much else and I was intrigued to see them driving with dipped headlamps during daylight. The Swedes used to drive on the left but changed over to driving on the right in 1967. That must have been interesting! It will even more interesting if the southern Irish ever decide to do that to keep in step with their EEC friends!

It is common to drive with dipped headlights on country roads here in OZ as it improves the visibility of your car to others. Nowadays of course they all have daytime running lights which are a great invention.

Worked in India for a while, never game to drive there, I did learn that road markings and traffic lights were for decoration.

On 12/16/2021 at 12:05 PM, Oztalgian said:

Worked in India for a while, never game to drive there, I did learn that road markings and traffic lights were for decoration.

I've never been there, but I get the impression that driving in India, as well as watching other drivers, you have to take into account things like Ox, Buffalo, Donkeys, etc.

• Like 1

My father spent time in India during WW2. He was astounded to see that every conceivable form of transport from trains to bikes had so many Indians plastered to it as to render the actual vehicle invisible. It looked, he said, like a sea of constantly moving, noisy people.  He was far more impressed with Fremantle in Oz, where I might be living now if my mother hadn't vetoed the idea!

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

you have to take into account things like Ox, Buffalo, Donkeys, etc.

Yes, and cows being a sacred animal have absolute right of way and woebetide you if you give them a clonk or a nudge to get them to move out of the way. Motorbikes with six people on board are another hazard. It is also not unusual to have people fall off a bus in front of you too.

8 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

It looked, he said, like a sea of constantly moving, noisy people.  He was far more impressed with Fremantle in Oz, where I might be living now if my mother hadn't vetoed the idea!

One thing that always amazed me in India was that at whatever time you traveled on the roads there were always throngs of people about, even at 3:00 am when going to catch a flight, people everywhere and roadside hawkers plying their wares.

Yes Jill, Freo (as the locals call it) is a beautiful city at the mouth of the Swan River, a suburb of Perth but a city in its own right. Was your father in the navy? as Freo was the largest submarine base in the southern hemisphere during WWII. The city has done a great job of preserving its Victorian and Edwardian buildings. It has a very pleasant climate and I think you would have enjoyed it.

Yes, Oz. Dad was in the Navy. He opted for DEMS, which is why he experienced all these places. Fremantle as he knew it was something of a one horse town but he liked it. He also spent time in Ceylon, as it was then. He liked that, too!