can you remember gorse hill garage now a mini market it was run by two brothers who constantly argued and somewhere in between there and wheelhouse the maggot farm The chap who ran it had an old ex wd Hillman pick up and it was alive all over the floor and everywhere they refused to look at it because of the stench years ago I had a similar experience with a Bedford doormobile they sometimes sheared the steering column gear lever off usual procedure was to clamp a pair of mole grips on the column and drive it back I jumped in to be met with an horrendous stink you could not get a breath it was full of pig swill the boss would not let it in the garage Meeowed

# 373 I'm glad you said that Wheelhouse was near the Tree Tops Rob because that's what I thought, but was also wondering if I was getting mixed up with Speeds, the Volvo dealer.

Lizzie,

I think Speeds were on the corner of Breck Hill Road, where Sainsbury's Local now is.

Yes, that's weird, after getting my Sytners and Wheelhouse mixed up at Mapperely, wasn't there a Wheelhouse on that Nuthall Rd site at some time?

My 1912 edition of The Michelin Guide to the British Isles lists the garages in Nottingham that were also Michelin stockists:

R. Cripps & Co Ltd, Lower Parliament Street, agent for Wolseley, Ford, Delauney-Belville, Talbot and Berliet

F. Mitchell, Derby Road agent for Deasy, Enfield and Rover

A.R. Atkey & Co Ltd, Trent Street, agent for Austin, Renault, Ford, Napier, De Dion and Gladiator

Empire Garage Ltd, Mansfield Road, agent for Belsize and Arrol-Johnston

E & C Astle, Forest Road

W. Stevens, 299 Arkwright Street - Motor Cycles

• Upvote 3

R. Cripps sold Michelin tyres and motorcycles from premises on Arkwright St early 1900s. The premises of W. Stevens Motorcycles Arkwright St, later became Blacknells.

• Upvote 1

They had an outlet on the Melton road ar Tollerton. I bought a beautiful 6 months old Jet Black Mini from there.

On 12/8/2010 at 6:54 AM, Ashley said:

There was one of the "bomb site boys" quite well known in Basford, (that well known I've forgotten his name! Bob something or other, unusual surname too) am sure others will know of him, esp Craig Strongman, had various sites over the years plus a scrap yard at and behind the former five ways garage. But the "best" (some will say cheeky ist) was a guy living on the ring road in ex council semi with tarmac'd front garden, had various cars up for sale, sometimes 5 or 6 at a time c/w with proper dealers "One Owner" "Low Mileage" "P/E Welcome" etc plus price screen stickers on said tarmac and wide pavement outside! We used to joke re petrol pumps being installed and tyre fitting bay in his garage, needless to say didn't last long! but an interesting episode.

Bob Churchill was a well known bomb site boy in Basford...

On 11/19/2015 at 8:55 PM, meeowed said:

wheelhouse moved to Nuthall rd but I don't think he did any good there the site is now Halfords

Chick Wheelhouse died last year...he retired from the car trade a few years ago when Hlafords made an offer that he and his osn couldn`t refuse..

On 11/19/2015 at 7:45 PM, Rob.L said:

Lizzie,

I think Speeds were on the corner of Breck Hill Road, where Sainsbury's Local now is.

That was Sharpes Vauxhall...

On 10/17/2015 at 5:22 PM, Raymond said:

Hi bill thanks for your letter to let you know freda making a recovery after falling and braking her hip with referece to the cruser it was oned by ernest watts he was resident there he was also a member of the speedboat cliub and raced against us our boat was called tarka

574990_3993590283812_1413881323_n.jpg

I've now remembered we've seen that place before, but not so completely. Click here then scroll down a bit to post # 231

ask your dad if he remembers bill and john the two lads he worked with at your granddads garage when he used to sell 8track tapes many years ago

Hi Ray nice to see one of the old speed boat photos I remember you starting watts cruiser it had twin engines  we had to take 5 gallon jerry cans down to fill it we had some great days outside the ferry boat pub at stoke bardolph with the speed boat racing  also the spread that the boss put on at Christmas  the first time I got drunk and have gone downhill ever since ha ha great times ray we had the best of it in those days   meeowed

Dumping some stuff @ me Mam's yesterday found a service wallet/handbook for a Vauxhall Viva & Magnum I had both & Firenza, its stamped New Crown Main Street Bulwell, there's a interesting leaflet of quite basic accessories, radio cassette player, wheel embellisher, locking petrol cap, clock! Don't know your born!

P1140428_zpswyzqpx96.jpg

P1140429_zpsgcm8kj93.jpg

P1140430_zpsxrcbkoc6.jpg

Hillman minx and other rootes group motors came with the heater and radios in a big cardboard box as an extra you got very little for your money in those days  The heater pump was driven off the back of the fan belt  There was also a thing called a bray heater that you could buy  This was a pipe that went into the bottom hose which could be plugged into the mains and preheated the water system for cold morning starts  Also some 1940 austins came with a built in jacking system called jackhall worked hydraulic rams on the axle  The best technology advance was the extinction of sidevalve engines they were a nightmare   meeowed