Duple and Jensen!..much obliged Siddah..found the photo itself by default.

Regards, ian.

• Like 1

Im19131124_Cy_Car-_Britannia.jpgCanal Street bargain £100 guineas and away!Im19371228_M-_BS.jpgFor a sum of £395 ..pop down to Brownlows on Wollaton St. and this Salmson was yours.

• Like 1

add_196.jpgThis Car Dealer was mentioned the other day...Thomas Ogle..developed this, based on the chassis of a Mini..hence the wheels...available from Arkwright Street.

• Upvote 1

Never heard of it but could it be through linkages rather than direct into the gear box - or an automatic (doubtful) or a pre-select (even more doubtful). Failing those it must be a guy with a remote control 'clicker' in the back seat..

• Upvote 1

..Early flappy paddle?..I think Den..not sure but Tom Ogle perished in one of his own cars.

Read somewhere he invented the 'vapour' engine.

Here's a snap of the Ogle..bit like an Allegro with a criminal record.220px-_Ogle_SX1000_comp.jpg

I think that "remote control gear change" could have been the way that a floor mounted gear stick was described via remote linkage as opposed to a gear stick (as in the standard Mini) linked directly into the box.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Saw this one the other day, reversing sensors & reversing camera, serious ?

P1030638.jpg

P1030637.jpg

• Like 2

Re Cripps, someone having a look at my old Commer, supplied by E.R.Cripps, asked if Cripps dealt with heavy plant. This has been mentioned to me before, just checking on this forum and I see two references to construction or agricultural plant, one by daveep5491 and one by Clifton, so, was the plant company an offshoot of Cripps or did they just have a finger in someone else's pie ?  All the stuff I have on Cripps relates solely to the Rootes Group, cars and lorries only so I assume Cripps may have had another company apart from their Rootes ties. Can anyone enlarge on this construction/agricultural aspect ?

Regards all......

• Like 1

As far as I know Cripp's had a heavy plant site on Triumph Road Lenton. The info I have is old as it came from a mate who's now dead talking about his father who was gate keeper there

Can anyone remember a Vauxhall dealer who had premises on the Valley Road and Scotland Road area of Basford. I thought there was one there in the early 70s, but I cannot find any sign of one.

As far as I remember you could see the Cripps heavy plant site as you passed over Abbey Bridge towards Beeston. They also sold International Harvester trucks.

Trogg there was a filling station on Valley road opposite the Futurist.

But I also seem to remember a car dealership left hand side of Nottingham Road between Valley road and Vernon Road almost opposite the end of Scotland road.

• Upvote 1

There's a Volvo dealers there now of course. At one time, in the 60's Arthur Short Plant used to be on that site. I can't remember who moved in when Shorts closed.

I worked for Cripps for about 6 months in the mid 70s.  They occupied the site on Lenton Lane opposite what is now the university complex. Part of the Cripps operation was International Harvester tractors - sales, servicing etc. The other part was car dealership, which at the time was Chrysler; I was there when the Chrysler Alpine was introduced. The two parts were semi-independent, but ultimately under the same parent company. At some time the Cripps car dept also had the dealership site further along Lenton Lane, which is now a Honda dealer.

For a few years they also had the sales and service station on Mansfield Road opposite the junction with Edwards Lane, next to the former Metropole cinema.

• Like 1

So it is clear there was a part of Cripps into plant etc. Thanks  for the above comments, did the tractor/heavier plant side have a separate name ?, that would be MOST helpful,

Regards all......

Nottstalgia has come up trumps again !. The IH advert with R Cripps and Co says it all,( including Cliff is right), excellent , and yes Ian, I'm still biking but on smaller/lighter bikes. My R1100s is for sale as we speak, too big, too heavy, but I'll miss it...….

Mother in-law worked for Cripps on Lenton Lane, but at 91 she doesn't even  know who her daughter is anymore, cruel world aint it,

Regards all

• Like 1