Nottstalgia has come up trumps again !. The IH advert with R Cripps and Co says it all,( including Cliff is right), excellent , and yes Ian, I'm still biking but on smaller/lighter bikes. My R1100s is for sale as we speak, too big, too heavy, but I'll miss it...….

Mother in-law worked for Cripps on Lenton Lane, but at 91 she doesn't even  know who her daughter is anymore, cruel world aint it,

Regards all

• Like 1

13 hours ago, fogrider said:

So it is clear there was a part of Cripps into plant etc. Thanks  for the above comments, did the tractor/heavier plant side have a separate name ?, that would be MOST helpful,

Cripps was the name used for the plant side of things (International Harvester), there was no other name used. The site on Lenton Lane was divided into three sections; one for construction equipment; one for agricultural plant; and one for cars & head office. If you look on Streetview two of the three sections are still there, although obviously not Cripps.

In the later years - mid 70s onwards - the car part operated under the Henly's name.

That would presumably be the site now occupied by Mellors and Kirk the auctioneers. I’ve been there and didn’t associate it with Cripps but it obviously was.

My recollection is that Cripps operated in Nottingham as Cripps of Nottingham for cars and commercials and R. Cripps co.Ltd. for the rest.

At Triumph Road there was at various times a commercial vehicle shop - Commer, Dodge, International Harvester Lodestar, and Scammell Scarab.

Commercial vehicle sales department.

A tractor shop - International Harvester.

A heavy plant shop repairs and hire - mainly Scammell

A plant shop for refurbs to Drotts and IH bulldozers.

An engine reconditioning shop for plant machines.

A field services department for all plant stuff.

A fuel injection reconditioning shop

later cars arrived and a body shop opened.

A viewing gallery to watch all the Raleigh office girls passing by.

Abbey Bridge was at one time the plant shop and the body shop..

Main offices and pay office at Parliament Street. some car sales.

Cripps also owned a block of cottages/houses somewhere near the nurses homes and where Hooley's used to operate from, some key staff occupied these premises.

Lenton Lane was opened when Henly's got involved. I remember a director of Henly's asking a Cripps manager how much he earned per hour for a commercial bay against a car bay, the manager was told he could get 2 cars in a commercial bay. Commercial repairs didn't last too long after that.

R.Cripps and Co. Ltd had depots At Nottingham, Manchester, Leeds and Aycliffe County Durham.

• Like 1

^^^^^^^Glad my mate was right about his father and Triumph road then, I was beginning to doubt until you came along Dave.

He always said his father was a gatekeeper but I know he was a sign writer as well, wonder if they did any of that there.

NBL The gateman I knew was John Linguard.

Signwriting was outsourced the one I knew was Dennis ? 

It would be way before your time Dave, my mate was 82 when he died two years ago and of course I am talking about his father.

I noticed a couple of Car Dealers still on Oakdale Rd.This one near Cardiff St.

Can't recall it.089cd6eeec8786e2b310ac7725b741b9--cardif

On the way to Sun Valley..we'd call in and ask for stickers..GTX or Groundhog.5971352093_c67c26006b.jpg

davep4591's post fills in a lot of useful details about the plant and repairs side. I wonder , Dave,( or anyone who may know), did one of the managers on the plant side have a very old Rolls Royce ?  Certainly employed under the Cripps company name,

Regards all

well, I've just learnt more about the Rolls Royce owner, this may go back too far for Nottstalgians !  ! 

The mans name was George Henry Neale, Kegworth address. His involvement with Cripps was apparently in the mid thirties so I rather think that is specific research. 

Definitely on the heavy plant side, Scammels are mentioned as well as Abbey Lane.

• Like 1

Ian, are you sure that's Oakdale rd? Looks a lot like Carlton rd.

• Like 1

Sorry Den..my Grammar...yes the photo is Carlton Rd.

But i mentioned that 2 car pitches are still going on Oakdale.

Sorry for confusion.

A mate of mine bought a Marina from there, seventies.

• Like 1

Before i moved to Eire..Dick in Oakdale Garage had a spanking Rover P5B..1973...it was only £2700..tried my best..but herself put her foot down with a firm hand.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fogrider said:

davep4591's post fills in a lot of useful details about the plant and repairs side. I wonder , Dave,( or anyone who may know), did one of the managers on the plant side have a very old Rolls Royce ?  Certainly employed under the Cripps company name,

Regards all

I am not aware of this but I'm out on Tuesday night with 4 ex Cripps men I worked with in the 60s. It's a long shot but I'll see if anyone knows. A few of the old Cripps plant men went to Sinbad Plant.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IAN123. said:

Before i moved to Eire..Dick in Oakdale Garage had a spanking Rover P5B..1973...it was only £2700..tried my best..but herself put her foot down with a firm hand.

Was it a black one?

• Like 1

I came very close. It was a Nottingham city registered car (TO I think), but black wasn't available as a 'standard' colour on a P5B and was only available to special order. Even then it was very cheap at £2700. I would still like to know who the first owners were. I have no idea where the car is now.

• Like 1

Having a beer with some ex Cripps men ! brilliant, davep5491, enjoy!

My Commer is a 1958 Mk1V Superpoise, supplied, of course, by R Cripps.

• Like 2

Very nice Fogrider!

I did have a Commer Corgi set as a kid..it had varying detatchable liverys..Ambulance etc...from Pearsons.

RE: the Rover on Oakdale..this was 1996..roughly Malcolm..i had never seen black before..i thought it had been wafted over..nope- all original..with a windscreen visor.

Should have bought it.

On YouTube is an old Top Gear feature on P5B Coupes...stunning.

It would be around 1996 when I saw it there. I used to drive for a local coach company picking up mentally handicapped and people with learning difficulties. Used to pick up opposite Oakdale Garage up a side street giving me plenty of time for a good look. Run finished at a place for educating these near the top of Ransom Road. Springwood I think it was called.

• Like 1