I knew the chap who had the agency in Nottingham. Ben Siddons at ‘Siddons for Citroens’ on Mansfield Rd. His son, also Ben, was a friend and work colleague.

Bristol Street Motors on Mansfield Rd were the agents I dealt with. Absolute rip off merchants !

Yes, Siddons had retired and sold it on by then. He lived nearby on Richmond Drive. I remember his son’s 21st.birthday party. How I drove home from that I can’t remember!

I recall seeing some motors in the 40s with an on board jacking system called jackhall i am not sure if it was austin or morris they had a ram on each corner of the axle long time ago  meeowed

I have no jack, no spare wheel and run flat tyres plus a button on the roof where someone will come out to rescue me if I press it. I think with the size and weight of wheels plus my advancing years I wouldn’t want to do a wheel change. Some years ago I had a Jeep Cherokee and heard a loud bang whilst I was driving down the M1. I pulled over and we all scrambled out. A passing AA man spotted us before I could ‘phone and he changed the wheel in minutes. I certainly wouldn’t like to change an o/s wheel on the hard shoulder of a motorway! Nowadays patrols carry a universal type spare which is adequate to get you to the nearest tyre depot.

2 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

I certainly wouldn’t like to change an o/s wheel on the hard shoulder of a motorway! 

And don't even think about it happening on the 'Smart' motorways which don't have a hard shoulder.

I have one of the buttons in the roof and have been advised that you will get priority when it is used. There was no spare wheel with mine when I ordered it , but being an old fashioned dinosaur I paid for a spare wheel, jack and tool kit. If it is needed I will still have to press the button for help as I am unable to change the wheel.

My Jag went into ‘limp mode’ and then came to a halt in Fiskerton about two miles from home. Jag rescue acknowledged and by the time I’d been into the Bromley Arms for a pee the AA had arrived. They jump started me and followed me home. Sadly it was a Saturday so I had to wait until Monday for the rescue truck to take the car to Lincoln. Two more trips there, one again on a rescue truck and the problem was eventually resolved. They even arranged for a taxi from Nottingham to take me to Lincoln where a brand new XF Sport was available for my use. I and the AA both told them it was the alternator but it took two weeks for them to admit it!

I've told my tale on here before about main dealers, I just wish I could find the smary, supercilious sod who  insisted  there was no fault

John Hawkins of Automart, 61a Mansfield Road, Nottingham with a DAF. Late 1960s, early 1970's. Originally a Saab dealership but later Daf, then Colt / Mitsubishi. 

Automart4a.jpg

I remember globe electric they were on manvers street but were somewhere else before that and of course Brown Brothers huntingdon street The rep was a little tubby chap who would recite every product they stocked and could do likewise with jokes meeowed

Hi Edgar i see you worked at Brown Bros.We used to buy parts there in the 60s did you know a salesman there called Pat think it was short for Patterson he called at the garage once a week to take orders sometimes we phone orders in and have delivered by bus usually mgo F4 orB4 some times it was difficult if there were exhaust pipes to be delivered.

When you were at Truman's, did you know anyone at Atkeys next door?. I went to Atkeys as an apprentice,69_70. I think the foreman in the 'mini clinic was Alex ?????, Can't remember his surname. Wish I'd stuck to my apprenticeship, but got tempted by more money to go and work for a guy down under the arches on Arkwright st. Lost out big time!!

On 11/1/2013 at 1:28 PM, plantfit said:

There was always a cartoon type advert in the NEP for Shipsides, drawn by a guy named Keith Armstrong, He signed his cartoons "KARM"

Very nice chap, he was in the NEP a few years back for having a "pet" fox. I believe he lived in the Bestwood lodge area.

Would be nice to see those cartoons again if anyone has a picture or copy of the NEP from the 60s/70's

Rog

T_ShipsidesLtd1971.jpg

My first company car was a Morris Marina TC. That had the MGB engine but with more weight to lug around. Pretty dreadful really. It was superseded by a Ford Capri 3 litre Ghia in white with a black vinyl roof which was a considerable improvement.

Never owned a Austin or Morris but back in 1960's almost bought an Austin A40 as a first car but then I saw a Triumph Herald with its walnut dash, pale grey with red upholstery. It served us well until some clown hit us bang on the nearside rear wheel, it was repaired but somehow never felt the same on the road. Ended my time in the UK with a Ford MKII Cortina. First company car I drove from the pool was an olive green Ford Granada Ghia 3 litre, glad I wasn't paying for the fuel.

The automotive components company I worked for in Oz bought cars in proportion to the sales it had with major OEM's. Best car I had there was a top of the line Nissan Skyline with a silky smooth and very willing 3 litre straight six. As the family grew we needed a bigger car so ended up with Ford Falcons until just before I left they gave me a Holden Commodore, very poor build quality and bits of interior trim were always falling off.

For those on here that have been in Oz General Motors have just announced that they are exiting Australia so the Holden brand is no more. 700 jobs will be lost at head office and probably thousands more as all the dealerships close or downsize to service facilities only.

From being able to design and manufacture a car from the ground up, thanks to the economic rationalists, we now have only a few component manufacturers left. I wonder what we will do if we are ever involved in any major conflicts, a couple of months supply of fuel for cars, trucks and aircraft,

no tyres and more importantly no skills.

General Motors here have sold off Vauxhall and Opel. Its now owned by Peugot/Citroen. Vans are now appearing on the roads claiming to be Vauxhall but are just rebadged Pugs!

• Like 1

Yes, globally they are focussing only on left hand drive vehicles and have or in the process of divesting themselves of any units that manufacture RHD vehicles.