Hucknall High Street 60s/70s

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been looking on Google Map for a newsagent that was on the right hand side of Annesley Road, going towards Hucknall High Street but It doesn't seem to be there anymore. A few years ago, I kept a

Hucknall I loved Hucknall when I first moved their, I lived on Robin Hood Drive and was told by people who lived there that if I fitted in I would know. If Hucknall folks did not take to you, you wou

Mary1947. Dead right about hucknall now. Have to say,though I still prefer it to Bulwell!. My mum came from Hucknall, Victoria St. She always maintained that a family member ran the Half Moon, but I'v

Yes Woolworths was where both Poundstretcher and Superdrug are now (although Superdrug has just changed back to Savers). When Woolies closed they split the building into 2 shops. Taylders the tailors was opposite the market place on Baker Street. Stallards was also Highams and then Barry Austens. Its now an Indian Restaurant!

The downstairs of the Byron cinema has been a bingo hall for many years. There has been much speculation that the cinema (closed for a long time now) would re-open but i hear its in a right state now inside so needs someone with a lot of cash and time to get it back to its former self.

The first time I went in the Green Dragon was in 1982 when it was run by Hazel and Eric and it was a real old fashioned pub, but its quite a decent place now. The pub further up Watnall Road 'the Flying Bedstead' is now closed and earmarked for demolition. Before it was the Bedstead, it was an old pub called The Crown, which was knocked down in the late 60s.

Moved to Hucknall in the 70s shops I remember are Barry Austin and Taleders (not sure spelt right) Going down Nottm Rd Hucknall what about the Welfare many a good Friday night spent in there

Mary 1947

Loved the Welly. Met my ex husband there and had many a good Friday night in the Welbeck suite.(downstairs) and Wednesday nights upstairs in the main hall. Its now Aldi, iceland and some flats and houses.

Worked at Hillards for a few weeks when it first opened. First & last time I worked in a supermarket, hated it with a vengance... Many happy nights at the Welfare in the early 80's, pulled a couple of times in there, before I was married of course...

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...

DARKANZA - Yes, Central garage was on High Street, next to Clarke's pram shop, stood back off the road then, just before the row of shops leading up to the post office..........a curtain shop, a pet shop, elecrtrical shop a butchers, Howitts sweet shop........waste ground which the post office was built on in the early fifties joined onto Wakefield Chemist and then Stallards shoe shop on the corner, opposite the old library.........

I was born at Westville in 1945 at my grans.........moved onto Station Terrace, I can remember the old Hucknall very well.......the old post office being next to Bailey's pot shop and the old cinema Scala on the Market Square before the Co-op building took it over and the food office being next to the Trinity Church......

the old Hartwells fruit and veg shop being very small, next to a sweet shop and a wool shop which joined onto the Chequers Pub.........

I can remember all the old shops on the town in the early fifties......... Peppers on one side of Albert Street and Woolworths on the other corner of Albert Street, Fords next door, then the passage which led upstairs, was the YMCA before it was a dance hall, the other side of Fords was a kind of delicatescant before Fords took it over and next door to that was a dentist called Raymond Payne......an opening which lead to the back of the shops and then it was Bob's fruit shop, a barbers called Pat Griffin who was there for years which joined onto a big ugly shop called Mussons, then a shoe shop and the Barclays bank which was on the corner of Wollaton Street................

Many more shops on the High Street as well which were mostly family run.........Opposite the Byron Cinema was a newsagent called Roy Allsebrook's next door was a dry cleaners run by my aunty Ethel, later became Skeavington and Payne, then Sarah Bodill hairdressers, then Butlers bread shop, a tobacconist, Flossie Brown's hairdressers and Locks the Hardware shop an entry which lead to the back of the shops, then a big mans clothes shop..........

The old police station was at the bottom of Duke Street, corner of Portland Road, there was a fish and chip shop opposite called Calladine's, next door to Corman's old Factory who was next to the Toc H association at the corner of Station Road..........wow, I could go on and on............

• Upvote 2

Having never visited Hucknall can anyone tell me the difference between Hucknall & Hucknall Torkard, is it the same place?

Sorry if this offends anyone from either Hucknall or Hucknall Torkard (if it is a different place).

What are the origins of the name and if it is adifferent place, what does Torkard mean?

Having never visited Hucknall can anyone tell me the difference between Hucknall & Hucknall Torkard, is it the same place?

Sorry if this offends anyone from either Hucknall or Hucknall Torkard (if it is a different place).

What are the origins of the name and if it is adifferent place, what does Torkard mean?

Yes it is. It was called Hucknall Torkard until about a century ago, I believe

I came from Hucknall - Hucknall was Hucknall Torkard until 1915 when Torkard was dropped, it was the name of the old Tocard family who owned just about everything back then, Oakenhall as in the Avenue was an old pronounciation of the name........there was also Hucknall Huthwaite where the Hcknall was dropped and there is an Ault Hucknall in Derbyshire........I did this in my project at school, just before I left...........

After going to Hucknall Baths we used to play on the Co-op lift to the cafe until we were thrown out, later years I rememeber getting clothes from Taylders, had my Crombie at 10shilling a week, 60 weeks a lifetime but it was worth it.

I can remember paying 10 bob a week at the Teenage Shop for clothes, next to the Co-op .......It was a fortune then and seem to take for ever to pay off............

• 5 months later...

'Many more shops on the High Street as well which were mostly family run.........Opposite the Byron Cinema was a newsagent called Roy Allsebrook's '

Sorry only just seen this. Interesting to hear the name Allsebrook. My new married name is Allsobrook (husband is from Burton on Trent where the name is quite popular) but I had never heard it till I met him. Don't suppose there are any more left in Hucknall?

Worked at Hillards for a few weeks when it first opened. First & last time I worked in a supermarket, hated it with a vengance... Many happy nights at the Welfare in the early 80's, pulled a couple of times in there, before I was married of course...

I can remember the Welfare opening in 1963, It was a big event then, Teenage night was Wednesday when quite a few popular groups of the time played there.....I can remeber Dave Clarke Five and all the stomping, the Beauty Contests were held there........I can remember Hillards opening as well....Hucknal was a great place to live in the 50's and 60's, the town had everything - that's when I was growing up there..........Happy memories.....

• Upvote 3

I lived in Bestwood Village back then & frequented all the local Welfare's, Bestwood, Hucknall, Creepers, (Basford Hall) Newstead, Annesley & probably others I can't remember. They had disco nights & girls went to them, & that's the reason I went... I now go line dancing to Underwood miners welfare with SWMBO so no chasing girls, sulk..

• Upvote 2

At the risk of boring everyone about Farrands' grocery stores,i have to add after seeing this thread for 1st time,that there was one in Hucknall high st,next to Johns clothes store,i did a couple of stints there early 60s and used to buy shirts from John,always remember the Manager at Farrands,Mr.Sweetman an Arthur English lookalike.

There was also a Vernons store in hucknall on Derbyshire lane,did a bit there as relief manager and remember a nice girl called Dorothy working there.

Did a bit of business with Mike Slaney,Spar,Watnall rd,and the Shentnalls family i believe married into the A.B.Gibsons family where i knew David Shentnall during my time there.Also worked at two of the Coops in Hucknall,High st and Watnall rd.

Anyway got that all off me chest,untill putting it all together had'nt realised i had so many Hucknall connextions,won't bore you any more,about my nights in the Miners welfare.....lol.

I was born in Hucknall in 1945 and can remember all the older shops, the High Street, Annesley Road and Watnall Road was buzzing, Chapels and hairdresser's everywhere, Market day was Friday, the town was always so busy then, so was Saturday- Oh such happy days.........

Stallards on Chapel street which is now empty, and Mrs Peppers sweet shop.

At the risk of boring everyone about Farrands' grocery stores,i have to add after seeing this thread for 1st time,that there was one in Hucknall high st,next to Johns clothes store,i did a couple of stints there early 60s and used to buy shirts from John,always remember the Manager at Farrands,Mr.Sweetman an Arthur English lookalike.

There was also a Vernons store in hucknall on Derbyshire lane,did a bit there as relief manager and remember a nice girl called Dorothy working there.

Did a bit of business with Mike Slaney,Spar,Watnall rd,and the Shentnalls family i believe married into the A.B.Gibsons family where i knew David Shentnall during my time there.Also worked at two of the Coops in Hucknall,High st and Watnall rd.

Anyway got that all off me chest,untill putting it all together had'nt realised i had so many Hucknall connextions,won't bore you any more,about my nights in the Miners welfare.....lol.

I could bore you with Hucknall, I can remember all those old shops and the people who ran them, I also went to school with their kids - I was born there in 1945 and grew up in the 50's and 60's - The Church Hall, Co-op Hall, British Legion, Rolls Royce and Fire Station all had clubs and dances too - and my time at the Miner's Welfare from when it opened in 1963..............Maybe I danced with you Benj..............I was Blondie, the girl about town.........Ha hummmmmmmmm !!

• Upvote 1

I lived in Bestwood Village back then & frequented all the local Welfare's, Bestwood, Hucknall, Creepers, (Basford Hall) Newstead, Annesley & probably others I can't remember. They had disco nights & girls went to them, & that's the reason I went... I now go line dancing to Underwood miners welfare with SWMBO so no chasing girls, sulk..

I must have known you colly0410 - I knew lots of the Bestwood youngsters and I went to all those places you mentioned........I lived in Hucknall back then and I live in Newthorpe now.....

• Upvote 1

Bet i knew you Blondie,but you always prefered my mate Frank Smith,........lol.

• Upvote 1

Bet i knew you Blondie,but you always prefered my mate Frank Smith,........lol.

Frank was okay, my first real boyfriend for about 5 minutes - I think he emigrated though............ :secret:

Mine too Benj........Can't understand why either as I always used Camay Soap.........................

• Upvote 1

One Sunday night in Bestwood Village.

I was going to take my then girlfriend Paula (she was a barmaid at the Royal Hunt Top Valley) to the Welfare disco. She phoned to say she had to work so couldn't come. Karen from next door said "take my mate Tracy then!" So I took Tracy & all was hunky dory. Paula got to work & it was very quite so the boss gave her the night off, she then turned up at the Welfare disco, oh dear. I nearly died when I saw Paula but managed to keep her & Tracy apart. I'd then lost them both, I looked on the dance floor & there they were dancing together & yabbering, their faces suddenly dropped & turned to anger. "Uh-ooh, Oh sh*t" I thought as they marched over to me. Then the shouting & fuss stared as they harangued me in front of my mates & half the Welfare, oh how they laughed. That was the end of that romance..

• Upvote 1