Hucknall High Street 60s/70s

There was a chemist on watnall road called Harmons in the 60s .

The Flying Bedstead wAs demolished and a new Co-op now stands there. The Masons Arms pub has now been demolished and I have heard they are building a sainsburys local there - right next to another Co-op !!

Supasave supermarket was in the old church on the corner of watnall road and beardall street, opposite clem munks garage.

Please share more memories. I find it fascinating

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been looking on Google Map for a newsagent that was on the right hand side of Annesley Road, going towards Hucknall High Street but It doesn't seem to be there anymore. A few years ago, I kept a

Hucknall I loved Hucknall when I first moved their, I lived on Robin Hood Drive and was told by people who lived there that if I fitted in I would know. If Hucknall folks did not take to you, you wou

Mary1947. Dead right about hucknall now. Have to say,though I still prefer it to Bulwell!. My mum came from Hucknall, Victoria St. She always maintained that a family member ran the Half Moon, but I'v

Hi Tony, is that the same Mrs Peppers sweet shop that used to be opposite the market place ? Did she move from the high street to there? I really cant remember it being in the High Street?

I think Stefan who owned Central Garage, had a son called Gordon (Sztjer) He took over Central garage when it moved to the bottom of Papplewick Lane (it has since moved and been brought out by Sandicliffe)

I seem to remember a shop at the bottom of watnall road called Bettridges that sold undergarments! and my uncle, Les Johns, used to work in the co-op on the opposite side of watnall road which is now JRs gym.

Mrs Pepper moved from High Street to the Market Place in the 50's, I can remember all the old shops on the High Street from back then............I was born in 1945.......

There was a chemist on watnall road called Harmons in the 60s . The Flying Bedstead wAs demolished and a new Co-op now stands there. The Masons Arms pub has now been demolished and I have heard they are building a sainsburys local there - right next to another Co-op !! Supasave supermarket was in the old church on the corner of watnall road and beardall street, opposite clem munks garage. Please share more memories. I find it fascinating

I can remember Harmons, my 2 friends worked there in the 60's.........Typical, building a supermarket next to another supermarket, whats the point of It except it is probably another backhander at the Council........The chapel at the end of Beardall Street was called Bourne Methodist, I used to go to the Youth Club on a Monday night, (free squash and biscuits), aged 7-11 years - we did embroidery, that's where I learned to do it.......They did drama's, (plays) and I appeared in a lot of them, got a lot of star parts because I was pretty and had long blonde hair, I could sing a bit too..........Janet Foster and Pat Braybrook were natural singers and actresses, were a bit older than me and I always looked up to them.........Can also remember, Greta Foster, Ann Simpson, Brenda Hallam, Ann Goodwin, Jean Godfrey, Marlene Gilbert.....Their families attended and were helpers at the chapel, my name was Lynn Housley........Oh happy days .......

I've been looking on Google Map for a newsagent that was on the right hand side of Annesley Road, going towards Hucknall High Street but It doesn't seem to be there anymore. A few years ago, I kept a scrapbook of the Rolls Royce Celtic FC and the Hucknall Despatch did a great write up with photos etc. Because I spent so much time abroad I couldn't always get to the newsagent to collect it. We made an arrangement where they would save them for me and I'd collect them when I could. Sometimes I'd go and there'd be a pile but they never let me down. After years of winning trophies, Rolls Royce Celtic FC disbanded. A few weeks after this I called into the newsagents to collect my final copies of the Hucknall Despatch. Every time I'd been to the newsagents the same lady was always there. She was a lovely, friendly lady and always wanted to know which country I'd been to. Before I paid for the papers I told her It was my wife's birthday and I wanted to buy her a special box of chocolates. I asked her advice as to what she'd choose if they were for her birthday. She told me her favourite chocolates and wrapped them up for me. As I was about to leave I gave her the box of chocolates as a 'thank you' gift and to tell her that I wouldn't be having the Hucknall Despatch anymore. She had tears in her eyes as she thanked me and at that moment two men walked in. They saw me at the counter with the lady in tears and thought I was doing a robbery..lol. When I see Hucknall in the news I often think of the lady in the newsagents on Annesley Road.

• Upvote 4

Can't remember a lot about annesley road, although it was a lot busier than it is now. I remember on the left going away from high street there was the back of the co-op , there was a fish monger called 'fishy Taylor's' and I remember David's bread shop and greenhalghs shoe shop . Opposite I think there was a cobblers called Hargreaves? That's all I can think of.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

hi i have been reading this topic i live in Stapleford but have a grandad who lives in Hucknall. I have only heard snippets of information about the area from him so this has been interesting to read.

Vince Dickens dance school was first upstairs over old Fords store, where the Pilgrim Oak is now. When this was demolished to make way for the co-op stores (and ultimately Pilgrim Oak) vince Dickens moved the school to upstairs over the trustees savings bank on the corner of vine terrace . He had an old lady helping him in the late 60 s ( I think it was his mum) . I don't know when the school closed down though

• 7 months later...

I remember the Welfare being packed for Heatwave - Suzyshoes mentioned this in an earlier post. A band called Flett played there - my claim to fame is that the band's founder member lived next door to me in the 60s and 70s.

The Flying Bedstead was the place to go in the early seventies - they didn't seem too bothered if you didn't look old enough to drink.

I left the Holgate Grammar school in 1976 - a very hot summer - and many loud nights at the Welfare.

What was the name of the factory at the bottom of Long Hill Rise? Was it Vedonis or something similar?

I never knew what was produced there - I just remember the endless time wasted waiting for a bus outside the factory.

There was another factory at the end of Nabbs Lane - Dowty?

I don't travel through Hucknall any more - but I guess they are now demolished.

Don't think I've done other than a couple of quick drive throughs of Hucknall since the 1960s. I used to enjoy a quick Sunday lunchtime trek from Bestwood Estate to Hucknall with brother in law. in 60s. Start at the Miner's Welfare, then off to a pub further up on the other side... 'Seven Stars'?, for a pork and stuffing cob to keep us going till we got the Trent bus back oup to the NCV garage on Hucknall Rd and cut through to home for roast beef and yorkshires etc.

Happy days.

I remember going to darts matches at the 'Seven Stars' in the early sixties.

I can still hear, 'Game on - Stars Arrers! - Keep them dominoes quiet!' Strange things stick in your mind, eh?

• Upvote 3

Even though i live slightly nearer Hucknall town centre than Bulwell i seldom venture in,it seems so dull and lifeless (except friday nights when all the local 'totty' are parading their lovely selfs throughout the place).......back in the 60/70s there was a bit of a buzz about the place,i worked there and drank there then,

Like you Eileen i hit the high spots where they played 'Darts and Dominoes'.........lol'

• Upvote 1

Black pudding and onion sandwiches were the order of the day when I played darts for The Malt Shovel in Beeston.

• Upvote 1

To each his own sallyshoes............just seems to have lost its old character.........probably the demise of the Pits.............

So yes I suppose I am.................stay on the by-pass...............lol.

I remember fights breaking out upstairs at the Welfare and the main lights being switched on - then the manager took the microphone to warn everyone to behave using his beautifully crafted sentences and clear diction (not). Whatever happened to basic education?

It reminds me of The Wheel Tappers and Shunters Club!

Aaaaahhh - Boogie Nights

• Upvote 1

I remember when the Welfare first had a Pool table,and some of the older miners with their arms halfway down the pockets cussing and swearing as they tried to retrieve the balls................lol.

The Flying Bedstead public house - what an architectural achievement! It must have taken less time to build the place than demolish it.

I can remember large amounts of underage drinking and the odd Police raid.

I have some funny stories - people are so stupid - maybe in a later post, but I will not be revealing names.

The jukebox played See My Baby Jive endlessly - so this puts my memory at about summer 1973.

Sallyshoes I too left holgate in 76 so I guess I know who you are.....Gizza clue

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk