Hucknall High Street 60s/70s

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been looking on Google Map for a newsagent that was on the right hand side of Annesley Road, going towards Hucknall High Street but It doesn't seem to be there anymore. A few years ago, I kept a

Hucknall I loved Hucknall when I first moved their, I lived on Robin Hood Drive and was told by people who lived there that if I fitted in I would know. If Hucknall folks did not take to you, you wou

Mary1947. Dead right about hucknall now. Have to say,though I still prefer it to Bulwell!. My mum came from Hucknall, Victoria St. She always maintained that a family member ran the Half Moon, but I'v

Still called 'the wine bar!' Still awful!!!

They've finally started building the inner bypass making it impossible to drive around hucknall without getting stuck at some roadworks somewhere. They've knocked down the old Lakes chemist at bottom of annesley rd and it's going through titchfield street, Albert street, Woollaton street and coming out on station road. Mayhem!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hucknall was the best place in the world to live in the 50/60's - we had everything, Swimming baths, Cinema, Park, Rec where the fair came twice a year and endless dancing haunts, youth clubs, market every Friday, great schools, doctors, police station, fire station, clinic, chapels, library and all the shops and pubs one would need, there were lots of work there too. pits, shops, factories, offices........I was very happy growing up there.........everybody knew everybody and most folk were helpful and friendly as I remember............I also remember the newsagent's on Annesley road, a small sweet shop where you could book your mystery trips and holiday excursions.......My neighbour used to drive the buses for them, he was called Cyril Chambers..............

• Upvote 2

... Hucknall and Mansfield ladies very pretty ..

Actually recent DNA research has proved that this is true. It is due an aberration of the local gene pool that has been traced back to the 12th century. Having said that, a few drinks evens everything up. Apologies for the picture - I am not advocating an unhealthy lifestyle! Ooh.. that is reminding me of A-level Biology and German ... the name phonetically Nan-ker-ville. I was once informed that this woman was fluent in the German language. I replied that this was not really a surprise since she was born in Frankfurt.

• Upvote 1

Blondie, your post (#80) 'I also remember the newsagent's on Annesley road, a small sweet shop where you could book your mystery trips and holiday excursions.......My neighbour used to drive the buses for them, he was called Cyril Chambers........' reminded me of a post I put on last year regarding the newsagents on Annesley Road, Hucknall:

I've been looking on Google Map for a newsagent that was on the right hand side of Annesley Road, going towards Hucknall High Street but It doesn't seem to be there anymore. A few years ago, I kept a scrapbook of the Rolls Royce Celtic FC as my eldest son played for them and the Hucknall Despatch did a great write up with photos etc. Because I spent so much time abroad I couldn't always get to the newsagent to collect it. We made an arrangement where they would save them for me and I'd collect them when I could. Sometimes I'd go and there'd be a pile but they never let me down. After years of winning trophies, Rolls Royce Celtic FC disbanded. A few weeks after this I called into the newsagents to collect my final copies of the Hucknall Despatch. Every time I'd been to the newsagents the same lady was always there. She was a lovely, friendly lady and always wanted to know which country I'd been to. Before I paid for the papers I told her It was my wife's birthday and I wanted to buy her a special box of chocolates. I asked her advice as to what she'd choose if they were for her birthday. She told me her favourite chocolates and wrapped them up for me. As I was about to leave I gave her the box of chocolates as a 'thank you' gift and to tell her that I wouldn't be having the Hucknall Despatch anymore. She had tears in her eyes as she thanked me and at that moment two men walked in. They saw me at the counter with the lady in tears and thought I was doing a robbery..lol. When I see Hucknall in the news I often think of the lady in the newsagents on Annesley Road.

... A Ooh.. that is reminding me of A-level Biology and German ... the name phonetically Nan-ker-ville. I was once informed that this woman was fluent in the German language. I replied that this was not really a surprise since she was born in Frankfurt.

If it's the one at Annie Holgate Tech Grammar, I remember the hilarity when her arrival was announced in assembly one morning. Mrs Lollie's name had the same effect. ;)

• Upvote 1

Was the newsagents Dunkleys ? It was next to or near the stork club so on same side as carlingford Road Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mrs Lolley, Dr Nankerville and Herr Hambukers , we did have some odd named teachers, oh and Mr Knott Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

Some good looking girls worked in Farrands on the High st when i was there in the early 60s,..........next door to Johns Mens outfitters,

Farrands was a small store grocery and provisions store susy...........window was the bacon display,.......small shop but about 20 staff,

• Upvote 1

susyshoes (#85), the newsagent that I mentioned doesn't seem to be there anymore. It was on the right hand side,

going towards the town centre. I've looked on Google Maps and I seem to think it was near Brook Street, possibly

the shop that's now the Chinese takeaway.

ah ok, Annesley Rd had changed so much now. it used to be a busy little shopping area in the 60s and 70s but its a bit of a mess now

• Upvote 1

yes HippoGirl it was Fred Knott. we thought he was iffeminate but he was a married man (i think) gosh he had the micky taken out of him - some kids were so cruel

Nabbs Lane - now correct me if I am wrong - but wasn't that road about three miles long in the seventies?

I caught the school bus from Nuthall to Nabbs Lane (F4 if I remember correctly). Great planning by Notts County Council - bus kids for four miles then make them walk three miles. I could never understand why we were not allowed to stay on the bus - Sandy Lane, Common Lane, Hillcrest Drive - ending right behind the school. Nabbs Lane was reduced in length by NCC just after I left school - it is now only about a half-mile long.

I remember someone who dressed like Gary Numan - I think at the Blue Boar. This must have been around 1981 - are friends electric or just drunk?

The Blue Boar seemed to be really popular - but only for a short period.

The Green Dragon (I must be on a 'colour' theme) - went there in the eighties. I always smiled when I parked the car in front of the police station - sparkling water all night of course!

Red Lion Sally..went on a date to The Byron one night( double bill!!- Moonraker & Sweeney.) We gave up went to the Half Moon and then in a drunken state rang me Dad from a coin box..near Wakefields?

Often ventured to tut' Staff of Life or Kingsway.

We moved to Hucknall in the 70s I had the hairdressing salon on Robin Hood Drive. We moved out of the flat which was above the shop and brought a house on Long Hill Rise. The house still had a pantry and under some news paper on one of the shelves was a Coronation Program and it had pictures of most of the shops on the High St that you speak of. I hung on to the program for a long time not knowing what to do with it. In the end as it was part history of Hucknall so I gave it to the Library for it to be used and for people to look at,

So if any of you want to see the Coronation 1953 program ask at the Library.

I think Hucknall takes some beating as the best place to live and bring up your children, wish I still lived there.

• Upvote 1