Hucknall High Street 60s/70s

I moved away in 2005 and couldn't wait to come back , finally came back 2011. Would never leave again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been looking on Google Map for a newsagent that was on the right hand side of Annesley Road, going towards Hucknall High Street but It doesn't seem to be there anymore. A few years ago, I kept a

Hucknall I loved Hucknall when I first moved their, I lived on Robin Hood Drive and was told by people who lived there that if I fitted in I would know. If Hucknall folks did not take to you, you wou

Mary1947. Dead right about hucknall now. Have to say,though I still prefer it to Bulwell!. My mum came from Hucknall, Victoria St. She always maintained that a family member ran the Half Moon, but I'v

Annesley road always seems to be a pain. There are now roadworks at the Annesley Business Park island - gives me problems everyday.

On a lighter note - I must organise a nostalgic evening tour of Hucknall with some old friends.

I guess the town has changed drastically since I was last there. Any places to really avoid?

Only place I wouldn't r commend is the Wine Bar but only coz it's a dump, we tend to stick to The Pilgrim, The Plough (recently refurbed) H20 (sometime have bands on)

• Upvote 1

Mrs Lolley, Dr Nankerville and Herr Hambukers , we did have some odd named teachers, oh and Mr Knott Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I remember when I moved schools from Trent Bridge to Beardall St in Hucknall: There was a teacher at Beardall St called Mrs Daft; I fell about laughing when I heard her name, & the other kids were straight faced wondering what I was laughing at.

• Upvote 1

The inner bypass is well on its way now. It will cut so much traffic back from the high street. The old Lakes chemist at the bottom of annesley rd has gone and it cuts through titchfield street just below Wilkos, then Albert street car park and comes out through station road car park (not a lot of car parks left now). They've also knocked a couple of houses down on Woollaton street. Causing havoc with roadworks but hopefully it will all be worth it, after all it's only taken about 20 years to start it

Hucknall

I loved Hucknall when I first moved their, I lived on Robin Hood Drive and was told by people who lived there that if I fitted in I would know. If Hucknall folks did not take to you, you would know.

Going back to when we first moved there, people said that Hucknall would join up with Buwell one day, no no said Hucknall folk. Now let me see Robin Hood Line, Tram, housing yes it's true.

Factories There was Verdonis, Viella, A.B Gibsons, Bodill (builders) who built Long Hill Rise. Dowtys, Rolls Royce, Jaeger, Fine Fare, maybe you can think of more, but now all Gone! Gone! never to come back.

Can you remember the Chippie near the Green Dragon when I use to call in the lady owner used to ask how's de boy's (as my two would always call in on a Friday night) Then it was See you soon buy!!!!

I was against the by-pass being built as it was going though a school campus, being from Nottingham and going to an inner city school I thought Annie Holgate was brilliant as it had Tennis courts, a running track, cricket pitchers, disc throwing area plus football pitchers. You can not bet the planners though.

I also voiced about the council taking the football pitchers away near Papplewick Lane but again they went. Where are the children going to play?

Can think of lots more but I won't bore you, Please excuse spelling of above factories.

Hucknall I think now, as lost it's charm, to me Old Hucknall has gone and will never return R.I.P. HUCKNALL

• Upvote 3

I would say the safest place to park would be at the tram station as they have cctv's.

Anywheres safe really. Depends where you're going. Market place is fine for central

I came from Hucknall born 1945 was a great place to live back then.........

Iandawson - I wasn't having a poke at Hucknall - it is just so long since I parked in the town. In the past I never had problems parking - Green Dragon, Blue Boar, Welfare - never any silly ticket machines or stolen wheels (ha ha). However susyshoes has mentioned that they are currently extending the M1 from Nuthall to Hucknall and this is 'well on its way'. An out-of-towner needs some guidance!

Think you'll find they did that to the M1 about 50 years ago Sally...............where yo bin......lol.

• Upvote 1

I lived in Newstead a few years ago and was amongst the first staff to work in the new branch of peacocks on the high street. Is is still open?

I know it was sold to Edinburgh woollen mill and a lot of branches were closed down.

Ben - I was referring to the M1 extension from Annesley down to Hucknall - this was planned 50 years ago but was never completed. Nottingham City Council will be able to impose a 'city' congestion charge when the project is complete. It should give a boost to the economy in Hucknall - you know - fast-food stalls, tram guides and car washes. I bet you can't wait!

• Upvote 2

I knew what you meant Sally...................just being jocular,.........and the City council juristriction ends at Bulwell,.........

3d929d110969cf3bc0f0a01f54eb94a4.jpg

The start of the new Hucknall inner relief road. Top middle is the old Co-op Baker Street, cutting through Titchfield Street, Albert Street. Trying to find a photo of the second bit

Yes, Sally, I thought that. And I didn't realised how much of the earth's surface Hucknall took up.

• 5 weeks later...

I was bought up in Hucknall 1945/68, hardly recognisable now.........I loved the place back then, was a great place to live and grow up, we had everything......

• Like 1