Hucknall High Street 60s/70s

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been looking on Google Map for a newsagent that was on the right hand side of Annesley Road, going towards Hucknall High Street but It doesn't seem to be there anymore. A few years ago, I kept a

Hucknall I loved Hucknall when I first moved their, I lived on Robin Hood Drive and was told by people who lived there that if I fitted in I would know. If Hucknall folks did not take to you, you wou

Mary1947. Dead right about hucknall now. Have to say,though I still prefer it to Bulwell!. My mum came from Hucknall, Victoria St. She always maintained that a family member ran the Half Moon, but I'v

#129 - Well - we had the pit, Byron and Scala cinemas, Johnny's cafe, the Co-op, the Beehive, Stallards, Frank Sissons, the pit, Vedonis,Top rec., Bottom rec., the Baths, The Dispatch, Midland General and Trent buses (1s1d return to Nottingham), Nelly Rick's, Rediffusion, the pit, Titchfield Park, and er,..the pit. It wasn't a bad place to live but I found it very insular and somewhat dominated by its mining community identity.

When my father was still working at Hucknall Colliery, we moved from my grandparents' home in Beauvale, to a council house. I recall a neighbour saying to my mother, 'Now you've got a little house to look after, you'll never move and your kids'll all be colliers.'

She did - and none of us ever were.

Having said that, the pit closures (and council house sell-offs) seemed to have transformed the old town into a bland, 'commuter-belt' area with little character. Shame.

Susyshoes - where is the 'second bit' of this road?

Well I did have the pic but it's disappeared

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well I did have the pic but it's disappeared øŸ™„

Posted ImagePosted Image

Found it

Great photos. You must have been hovering over market square for the socond pic. I guess you avoided shelling out for a pay-and-display ticket!

nah I was in the bell tower of the church :jumping:

ding dong

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On ‎06‎/‎06‎/‎2015 at 10:37 PM, susyshoes said:

Can't remember a lot about annesley road, although it was a lot busier than it is now. I remember on the left going away from high street there was the back of the co-op , there was a fish monger called 'fishy Taylor's' and I remember David's bread shop and greenhalghs shoe shop . Opposite I think there was a cobblers called Hargreaves? That's all I can think of.

Greehalges shoe shop sold cheap shoes back in the late 50/60s....I bought my first stilletoe's from there in 1960 for 10/6d white pearlised.........Annesley Road was very busy, had shops of every description and a cafe on the corner of Brook Street where we drank frothy coffee and jived to the latest records in the early 60s........I remember the newsagent's next to the Stork club, you booked your excursions and day trips from there, we danced at the Stork club too.......

On ‎22‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 10:13 PM, barrettkeller said:

#129 - Well - we had the pit, Byron and Scala cinemas, Johnny's cafe, the Co-op, the Beehive, Stallards, Frank Sissons, the pit, Vedonis,Top rec., Bottom rec., the Baths, The Dispatch, Midland General and Trent buses (1s1d return to Nottingham), Nelly Rick's, Rediffusion, the pit, Titchfield Park, and er,..the pit. It wasn't a bad place to live but I found it very insular and somewhat dominated by its mining community identity.

When my father was still working at Hucknall Colliery, we moved from my grandparents' home in Beauvale, to a council house. I recall a neighbour saying to my mother, 'Now you've got a little house to look after, you'll never move and your kids'll all be colliers.'

She did - and none of us ever were.

Having said that, the pit closures (and council house sell-offs) seemed to have transformed the old town into a bland, 'commuter-belt' area with little character. Shame.

I came from Hucknall, born in 1945 and lived on Station Terrace, my dad worked at Linby Pit, he had a bad accident there and after that he was always nasty tempered and money became short as he could not go back down the mines...........I remember all those places you mentioned, I had a Saturday job whilst I was at school working at the Beehive Stores for a £1 which was a lot of money in 1960/61 - My first job after leaving school was working in the offices at Reynold's Factory on Watnall Road, I went to Night School and learned shorthand/typing, my first wage was £3.15/- a week  - I loved growing up there, the town had everything you needed in entertainment in the 60's when I was a teenager, dances and Social Clubs galore.....My name was Lynn Housley.....

I read somewhere that Hucknall is where the "true north" begins as a linguist stated that it marked a change in accent from Nottinghamese to a more northern accent. I learned to swim at Hucknall baths and still have the sustificut somewhere. i

• 3 weeks later...

Hucknall high street is nothing these days compared to when I was a kid. All the shops were run on a very different basis and there were plenty of shoppers. Probably due to the fact that fewer people had cars and shopped locally with none of this late night opening business and the fact that the pit was still open. Saturday afternoons were busy, not as now with most shops closing early. One shop not mentioned so far was Bullocks toy shop, a real treasure trove for models, bikes and the like. You could also get films developed there as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Mary1947. Dead right about hucknall now. Have to say,though I still prefer it to Bulwell!. My mum came from Hucknall, Victoria St. She always maintained that a family member ran the Half Moon, but I've never been able to find out. I think she was talking maybe the fifties, or early sities. I went to several "do's" at the Welfare as my father -in-law was a deputy at Linby Colliery. Goon nights a'plenty. Top marks for the statue and monument for the colliery years. At the moment the road is closed, but anyone passing should stop for a moment or two. After all, the miners were the lifeblood of so many places like Hucknall. New to this site, love to read about places I knew.

• Upvote 3

Had many good nights in the Welfare. 

• 3 months later...

Went into Hucknall the other day approached from Anesley by-pass went along Hucknall's  new by-pass to the tram station, lived in Hucknall for 20+ years must admit I had to follow the car in front as I had no idea where I was going,  I don't live in Hucknall any more just go to visit friends/family, never thought that it would change as much as it as. It's lost the friend'lessness and charm that it used to have.:Fool:

It's also lost most of the trade it had due to dubious decisions from various authorities and bodies who keep telling us their ideas are good for us. It seems to be taking a long time for the benefits of their ideas to become apparent.

• 7 months later...
On ‎08‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 10:15 AM, sallyshoes said:

What was the name of the factory at the bottom of Long Hill Rise? Was it Vedonis or something similar?

I never knew what was produced there - I just remember the endless time wasted waiting for a bus outside the factory.

There was another factory at the end of Nabbs Lane - Dowty?

I don't travel through Hucknall any more - but I guess they are now demolished.

Bottom of Long Hill Rise was Vedonis made under ware for M/S also Viella factory which made dress shirts and socks, Jaeger also had a factory in Hucknall ,  Dowty was an engineering factory. Also there was a well known furniture maker called Stag which also had a factory in Hucknall. 

Just a few that I can recall hopefully I've got the correct names and what they made. 

Can any one recall the Green Dragon Chippie the couple who owned it I think went back to Greece, if ever I called in for some chips the owner would always ask "how;s see  boys they ok"  as I have two boys (now grown up) but at the time after having a pint Friday night they would always call at the chippie

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Never really liked Hucknall........but i now live closer to Hucknall high st than Bulwell.........in the 60s Hucknall was lively when the Pit was the main work place and had some decent times there.......always a bit of rivalry with Bulwell,mostly good hearted banter......but us Bulwell lads had to be careful when courting Hucknall lasses.

Anyway last night me and the wife decided to go for a Curry in Hucknall for a change,...went early 7ish........and saw the 'Half Moon pub' looked inviting so in we went,last time in was about 1963.and it had a bit of a reputation back then,.......pleaasantly surprised inside very nice decor etc and nice male staff behind the bar,friendly welcome bit of banter with bar staff.......told em i got banned from here in 63 (didnt really) so am i still ?.........said as long as i behaved they would lift the ban.........lol

Then went in the Bibiana Lounge next door for our Curry......again most impressed lovely place great service and just about the best Curry ive ever had,.......in conclusion i'd have to say i'm starting to like Hucknall...............probably because i did'nt cause any trouble or even chase the Lasses........lol

• Like 1

Remember when Titchfield Park had a lake/pond one Friday night my two boys after calling at a few pubs were on their way home via though the park, they were having  a few chosen words and one of the throw the house keys into the pond, now the other son did not have his keys with him, so 11 30 ----12 00 they both were in the pond looking for the keys. When they arrived home they were wet, muddy and soba, but at least they had the keys. 

At the time (this is for all who lived in Hucknall) PC John Hardy gave them a telling off, not that it did much good as they were 18/19 years old.

• Like 1

Titchfield Park brings back some early football times in the 50s,..........i had a cousin who played for Hazel Grove Celtic back then,and he used to take me, they were a very good team,.don't think they exist any more,

Then in the 60s i worked in Hucknall.......at Farrands in the High street and Vernons on Derbyshire lane,......some good characters worked both places.

I agree Ben, Hucknall is good, used to go there every Friday night for a pub crawl, starting at the Plough & Harrow working up to Annesley Road then back down finishing off at the wine bar, every pub in between.

I believe there is a 'Spoons there on high Street these days, worth a wander there one day !

• Like 1