Hucknall High Street 60s/70s

I was born in 1945 and can remember the old Hucknall High Street, starting with he Co op at the bottom of Station Road, next door was Allsebrooks newsagents run by Roy and his mother Mrs Cupit, next door was a dry cleaners which closed down and became Skeavington and Payne Electricals, then Sarah Bodill hairdressers, Butler's bread shop, a couple more shops, a Tobacconists, s Chip Shop, Flossie Brown's hairdresser's and a hardware shop, a twitchel, then an old furniture shop, Mettams Yard, Hartwell fruit/veg shop which eventually moved up the town, a sweet shop, later became a wool shop - The Chequers Pub, Dewhurst butchers, then Hartwell's....Wollaton Street, Barclay's Bank, Shoe shop, Mussons, 3 small shops which stood back off the road, Bobs fruit shop, Paddy Griffin, Barbers, Raymond Payne dentist a big old house.......A cooked meat shop, which later became Fords, the entrance to the YMCA, which became a dancing school, then Fords, then Woolworth's, Albert Street, Mrs Peppers, which Boots took over, Crawley Jewellers, Frank Sisson, a Bank, Rose's shoe shop, a man's Shop, Titchfield Street....Red Lion Pub, another row of shops, Teeds Opticians, a Solicitors, a dress shop with a bus stop in front. Brown's Bread shop, another shop, The Beehive Stores, another small cooked meats shop which later became an Estate Agents and round the corner to Baker Street.................

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been looking on Google Map for a newsagent that was on the right hand side of Annesley Road, going towards Hucknall High Street but It doesn't seem to be there anymore. A few years ago, I kept a

Hucknall I loved Hucknall when I first moved their, I lived on Robin Hood Drive and was told by people who lived there that if I fitted in I would know. If Hucknall folks did not take to you, you wou

Mary1947. Dead right about hucknall now. Have to say,though I still prefer it to Bulwell!. My mum came from Hucknall, Victoria St. She always maintained that a family member ran the Half Moon, but I'v

I remember a day when the baker at Brown's forgot to put any salt in the main dough mix of the day. Almost caused a riot of angry Hucknall housewives complaining that their kids and husband couldn't eat their tea as the bread was so dreadful.

• 10 months later...
On 2/18/2019 at 10:34 PM, IAN123. said:

I can't recall the snooker venue Parko..i worked at Presto..used to drink with Rip..wine Bar was a top spot!

snooker club is still going on vine terrace.wine bar was good so was lord byron pub sadly now derelict and half fell down 

• 10 months later...

I think I remember a cobblers on Watnall Rd just down from the Baptist church and George Attenborough's barbers shop (very odd cuss he was!). I can't remember the name of the person who ran it but I do remember the odd construct of the place where you opened the door and you were immediately met with several steps up to the counter where the cobbling actually took place.

Timewise, this would be late '50s - early '60s.

Not much help, I know but it might jog a few memories.

Another thing I've remembered about the cobblers is that they had and mechanical model of a cobbler hammering at a shoe in the window. About one foot to eighteen inches high. It use to fascinate me as a youngster.

4 hours ago, jonab said:

Another thing I've remembered about the cobblers is that they had and mechanical model of a cobbler hammering at a shoe in the window. About one foot to eighteen inches high. It use to fascinate me as a youngster.

There is one of these old little cobbler display figures, hammering away in a cobblers window at West Bridgeford. Saw it the other day.

Can also remember Wapplingtons, my dad always used them. Never thought George Attenborough was odd Jonab, I went there for years either getting a cut from George or his assistant John Haskey who later opened his own shop on Broomhill Road. I always admired the model aircraft hanging from the ceiling in George Attenborough's shop.

As I remember him, George Attenborough was ex-military (RAF, from the models on the ceiling?) and seemed to think that I (a 12 or 13 year old) had the same interests/obsessions as he did and droned on constantly about his military days. That's why I thought him odd. Perhaps I was wrong.

I didn't go to Attenborough for very long as I was able to get a discount/ free haircut from Pat Griffin on the High Street. He was a sort of relation through marriage - Pat Griffin was the brother of Jack Griffin who was married to my aunt Dorothy who, in turn was the mother of John Griffin who has a few mentions in these pages.

In regard to George Attenborough's assistants, I went to school with Micky Punter who started work there in 1959 - 60. Any recollections?

• 1 month later...

Is the Masons Arms still at Hucknall near Ruffs est. Annnie Holgate school and a road they called the Black Pad always seemed scarey my friend lived on Avon Ave. across from the runway at the aerodrome but he passed away a few years  ago.As kids we would walk from Nuthall across the fields and through the woods to Bulwell springs on the Bulwell side of the runway to catch tadpoles we also went on that side of the runway to watch great airshows no crowds on that side with a better view one time the military police came over to us thought he was going tell us clear off but all he wanted to do was sell us a programme but being just kids had no money.

Masons Arms is no longer there Ian it;s now Tesco or Sainsburys not sure which bottom of Nabbs lane is either Tesco or Sainsburys, black pad also gone. Did you go to Masons when Cottee's kept it ? Marks motor spares still there. Roll's Royce now gone all testing bed now full of new house's. All that's left is Rolls Royce social club. Watnall Road just passed Avon Ave on Watnall Rd two new roundabouts, must admit when i go back to Hucknall can't get use to the roundabouts. Not sure if you can still get from Watnall Road from Ruffs est to Bulwell. Reynolds factory gone, next to go fire station bottom Ruffs Drive.

Hucknall fire station has gone moved to next to National School on Annesley Road, with the Ambulance Station and Police. New developments include 100s of houses on the farm land on the right as you leave Hucknall on the way to Newstead. As this land is in Gedling District Council its going to be a new "village" and not Part of Hucknall.

trogg

can you remember when they said Hucknall would never join up with Bulwell.

well it did. After the Zoo and Fine Fair wet there was no holding the council.

OH! why did I not think of that?                       

Hi Ian

lived in Hucknall in the 70s I was one of the protested that went against the by-pass,  after going to an iner-city school I thought Annie Holgate campus had every facility for sport you could wish for. The road was built to take the pit lorry's out of the town, after the road was built Maggie closed the pit's. My boys would go and play up the woods near Mist-skills hills, then Nabbs Lane came along with all the new developments , Robin Hood line, Tram and the nail in the coffin TESCO!!! My boys still live in Hucknall, would I like to go back and live there?  not sure although I do miss it. Still have a lot of friends there.

• Like 1

I remember my first job, back in 1958, I had to attend Hucknall further education centre, when i joined the N.C.B.

It was just below the Byron cinema, next door to, I think what was the police station. If memory serves me correct, there were about 3 or 4 prefab wooden buildings. Had to do week about between there and Hucknall no.1 pit. Seem to think it was about a six week training before going to Bestwood pit. I worked on the screens and bath house until I were 16 and old enough to work underground. Nowt to do with the thread, but just thought I'd chuck it in.

Hiya Trogg, when we went to work up at top pit, we were told that as we were the first group to train there we would be developing the training area, including a pretend coal face. Another thing was when it were our week at F.E.C., we used to have a gym lesson, as well as first aid. This was done after a short walk onto Watnall road to what was a church building, I think. Even after all these many years and lots of first aid courses, I still use methods I were taught back in the day. It's always stood me in good stead.