Hucknall High Street 60s/70s

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been looking on Google Map for a newsagent that was on the right hand side of Annesley Road, going towards Hucknall High Street but It doesn't seem to be there anymore. A few years ago, I kept a

Hucknall I loved Hucknall when I first moved their, I lived on Robin Hood Drive and was told by people who lived there that if I fitted in I would know. If Hucknall folks did not take to you, you wou

Mary1947. Dead right about hucknall now. Have to say,though I still prefer it to Bulwell!. My mum came from Hucknall, Victoria St. She always maintained that a family member ran the Half Moon, but I'v

Hi beeky

the mission hut were you use to go is now the site of  a new collage which was HFEC and  was part of Basford Hall Collage. All the collage's have joined to-gether, HFEC has joined with Clarendon collage. Now all called New Collage Nottingham. The police Station is now a dentist has been for a long time, Byron picture house/bingo hall now being made into 5/6 screens.

Howdo  Mary, I'm talking back in 1958. Had a look on Mr. Googles maps and "my goodness" the further education centre looks a Hell of a lot different from when I were there! Last time I went to the Byron was to see "Towering Inferno", with 'er indoors'. As a lad, I thought I were the bees knees when I got my first pay packet of £4. 6s. 5d. Did a virtual tour up toward the market place, Blimey! it all looks so different now from when I used to drive my lorry up to Newstead pit for coal to Ellesmere Port. I think I would get lost up 'Uckna " now. I'd have to ask Trogg to show me round. Was impressed though, when someone took me to the tram terminus.

I'm waffling agen  Mary. ;)

• Like 2

Hi Mary just did the drive on google from Hucknall to Watnall village i have never seen so many traffic islands i was lost until i arrived at Linby i remember the Royal Oak and the Griffins Head at Papplewick. In 1964 i was in the Midland General Omnibus rally club we would meet at the G.H. and do some driving skills tests in the field at the side.

• Like 1
On 2/27/2020 at 9:34 PM, Beekay said:

Howdo  Mary, I'm talking back in 1958. Had a look on Mr. Googles maps and "my goodness" the further education centre looks a Hell of a lot different from when I were there! Last time I went to the Byron was to see "Towering Inferno", with 'er indoors'. As a lad, I thought I were the bees knees when I got my first pay packet of £4. 6s. 5d. Did a virtual tour up toward the market place, Blimey! it all looks so different now from when I used to drive my lorry up to Newstead pit for coal to Ellesmere Port. I think I would get lost up 'Uckna " now. I'd have to ask Trogg to show me round. Was impressed though, when someone took me to the tram terminus.

I'm waffling agen  Mary. ;)

Beekay do you remember the chap who use to show the films at the Byron, the kids used to call him The Jolly Green Giant well he lives next to my son on Long Hill Rise. Going back again did you  or any of your family go to Holgate Both my boys went and the youngest one's favourite teacher was Mr Beharold.

Mary1947, In reply, I only ever w ent to the Byron 2 or 3 times. We didn't live up that way. We used to live on Upton drive, off Valley road, near Mansfield road end. Stayed there until 1977 and then moved to Snape Wood, Bulwell until 1987, when we moved down here for work.

I assume by Holgate, you mean a school . In which case, no our kids never went there. Andrew, my eldest went to Aspley Wood school, Robins Wood road, off Aspley lane. Our youngest, Colin went to Shepherd school, Beechdale road, ( for physically and mentally disabled children).

Colin passed away, Christmas 1978, age nine, at City hospital. Andrew died in my arms at Pembury hospital near Tunbridge Wells. He was 23yrs old. That was back in 1990. I believe Aspley Wood school is no longer there now, but not sure about the Shepherd school.

Kindest regards, Barrie.x

Shepherd closed 2009;

https://get-information-schools.service.gov.uk/Establishments/Establishment/Details/122960

But reincarnated as ;

OakField after a £19 million project seven years ago to replace Shepherd and Aspley Wood special schools.

https://nottstv.com/acclaimed-nottingham-special-school-went-extra-mile-prom-night/

Thanks for that Stuart.C, I wonder if we are still life time vice presidents, after being made so when our son left school in 1983.

• 2 months later...

For the lost members of Hucknall the Tower is or was near thwe oid RAF camp. Behind Westvill  est which is on Watnal Rd facing Rolls Royce test beds which used to be, but  now house's.  Can anyone remember The Westvill Social club? l think that is what it was called.

There is also a web site called "Hucknall Past and Present" if any one is interested. 

I think that Westvill social club was pulled down and the pub "Will Scartlet" was built on its spot.