susyshoes

Hucknall High Street 60s/70s

Jonab   if you can visit it again ,I am sure you would enjoy it, you will recognise the High street and surrounding areas , it is very wheelchair friendly and with coffee shops etc with outside seating it is quite enjoyable sitting there with a coffee and a natter on a nice warm day, people are still friendly and talkative. If you do decide to let me know and I will meet up with you if you want. Welfare, the place of enjoyment, has been knocked down so you will not be able to relive and memories from there.

• Like 1

I've just remembered something else - Cupitts (? Kewpitts?, Cewpitts?) sweet shop. I don't mean Mrs Peppers, it was definitely not that. Was it what became Roy Allsebrooks, next to the High St/Station Rd Co-op?

I think it was run by two old spinsters who, like my granny, always wore Victorian mourning black, even in the 1950's - 60's.

- - Or was Cupitts at the bottom of Duke St. nestled between The Byron and the houses?

I do remember Brownlow's dairy (shop) half way up Duke St. opposite the school entrance. They had the franchise for supplying school milk (another thing lost forever).

I was born in 1945 and can remember the old Hucknall High Street, starting with he Co op at the bottom of Station Road, next door was Allsebrooks newsagents run by Roy and his mother Mrs Cupit, next door was a dry cleaners which closed down and became Skeavington and Payne Electricals, then Sarah Bodill hairdressers, Butler's bread shop, a couple more shops, a Tobacconists, s Chip Shop, Flossie Brown's hairdresser's and a hardware shop, a twitchel, then an old furniture shop, Mettams Yard, Hartwell fruit/veg shop which eventually moved up the town, a sweet shop, later became a wool shop - The Chequers Pub, Dewhurst butchers, then Hartwell's....Wollaton Street, Barclay's Bank, Shoe shop, Mussons, 3 small shops which stood back off the road, Bobs fruit shop, Paddy Griffin, Barbers, Raymond Payne dentist a big old house.......A cooked meat shop, which later became Fords, the entrance to the YMCA, which became a dancing school, then Fords, then Woolworth's, Albert Street, Mrs Peppers, which Boots took over, Crawley Jewellers, Frank Sisson, a Bank, Rose's shoe shop, a man's Shop, Titchfield Street....Red Lion Pub, another row of shops, Teeds Opticians, a Solicitors, a dress shop with a bus stop in front. Brown's Bread shop, another shop, The Beehive Stores, another small cooked meats shop which later became an Estate Agents and round the corner to Baker Street.................

• Like 1

Blondie..Browns bread was lovely..i do recall Rose's,Dewhursts etc..worked in  Presto on nights...dire!

On ‎26‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 7:22 PM, IAN123. said:

Blondie..Browns bread was lovely..i do recall Rose's,Dewhursts etc..worked in  Presto on nights...dire!

I am very nostalgic about my childhood days in Hucknall....

• Like 1

I remember a day when the baker at Brown's forgot to put any salt in the main dough mix of the day. Almost caused a riot of angry Hucknall housewives complaining that their kids and husband couldn't eat their tea as the bread was so dreadful.

i was born on vine terrace.no one has mentioned the indoor market where the spot on snooker club is.it was opened by stan stennet from crossroads early 80s i think,also can anyone remember wendys fruit n veg shop at bottom of duke street now converted back to a house

I can't recall the snooker venue Parko..i worked at Presto..used to drink with Rip..wine Bar was a top spot!

I was born on Albert St in 1943 and the shop on the corner opposite Woolworths for the first 7 or 8 years of my life  was Shaws the Butchers with a small slaughter house at the rear. Can not remember who took the premises over from Shaws.

On 2/18/2019 at 10:34 PM, IAN123. said:

I can't recall the snooker venue Parko..i worked at Presto..used to drink with Rip..wine Bar was a top spot!

snooker club is still going on vine terrace.wine bar was good so was lord byron pub sadly now derelict and half fell down