mike_a

Manvers Secondary Modern School, Carlton Road

mike_a    0

Hi,

I was hoping that there'd be a mention of my old school. I was there from 1956 to '61 and managed to get 5 GCE's. I believe that it changed its name later on and then closed.

Anyone have any more info, or went there?

mick2me    2,953

Someones gotta give first mention.

Or pehaps its been mentioned here before?

Welcome

Den1945    4

I went to Manvers in the mid 50s. When I arrived it was a brand new school with brilliant facilties. There was a woodworking shop, metalwork shop, science lab, art room, superb gymnasium, nice library, tennis courts, cricket pitch and a football pitch near the old railway tunnels and a lovely dinner hall where the dinner ladies cooked our food (no chips!). As you walked through the main entrance doors you were met with a mural of a shipyard that had been painted on the main wall.

Some of the teachers I remember were: Mr Etches (history), Jowett (woodworking), Turner (English), Hawkins (English), Musgrove (Art, his brother played for West Ham United), Mason (can't remember what he taught but he had a personality bye-pass), Mackenzie (or Macintosh) taught metalwork (I think that was his name). The headmaster was Mr Salt and his deputy was Mr Pearce (who taught Technical Drawing), Cork (Geography) and Lamont (a big jolly teacher who taught English and once stood up at assembly and talked for about half an hour on his life like an an old fashioned Jasper Carrott).

The pupils I remember were Norman Hunt, Gerald Pyzer, Alan Hallsworth, Colin Handforth (a big Forest fan), Victor Shepherd, Jimmy Lindley and Barrington Simon (a lovely West Indian lad who was a superb cricketer).

When it was sports lesson we got on a bus that took us to Trant Lane to use the pitches there.. We never had any homework all the time I was there.

I was lucky enough to play for the school football and cricket teams and was picked to play for the pupils against the teachers at the end of term.

I left in 1960 and it was about then that the school changed and it became mixed. Then it finally closed as a school and I think it is now a business centre or something. I sometimes walk past the building and I have been tempted to just have a look around what used to be the playground but as yet not had the courage in case I get kicked out.

Drabmuloc    14

Hi Den, I too went the Manvers in the mid late 50s and JEG Etches was my form master and teacher of English and was wickedly accurate with a piece of chalk! Mr Mason taught maths. Corky will never be forgotten. Do you remember Mr Williams RE teacher? I fancy you might have been in a class above mine as I don't recognise any names you mention. I have a photo of Mr Etches class of '58. Do you have any class pictures? I will now monitor this web site for your and anybody else's possible response!

Drabmuloc.

mary1947    705

Hi to you old Manvers boys.

I am just making notes of your topics, master went to Manvers in the 50s and he used to tell me about Corky we did have a photo of some Manvers boys when the trip went to Alps unfortunately some one ask if they could loan it and we have not seen it since. At the moment master is in noddy land will let you have more info later.

• Upvote 1

mary1947    705

Just ask master about Manvers he left in 1957. Corky used to teach maths, so master said, when he was at Manvers there was no cricket pitchers they used to have to go to the forest for sports. The sports grounds had not even started being built.

Mr Ashmore taught English, he left and went to Canada, Mr Payne was this headmaster, Mr Bennet taught P.E. Mr Williams taught RE. Mr Poole taught crafts, Mr Spindley taught science. The drama and English teacher was known as ( stretch can't remember his real name) Mr Ransom taught geography, Mr Cook used to teach gardening and other things also carried a piece of willow cane with him to belt you with. Mr Pearce used to teach tec drawing.

Can't at the moment remember any more.

• Upvote 1

Drabmuloc    14

Manvers was a bi-lateral school when I was there. Somebody mentioned a trip to the Alps. Was that the same trip I went on to Interlaken in Switzerland. I have fond memories of marching up a wooden bridge, built into a huge rock, on our way to Grindlewald Glacier. Wanting to visit Jungfraujoch, but, at £10 a ticket (20% of my spending money!) I couldn't afford it. Went up ten years ago and it now costs £100, but, so worth it! Playing in the snow at Schynige Platte.........if I go on I will start crying! Happy memories!

• Upvote 1

Drabmuloc    14

Hi all! Can I attach a picture or three?

katyjay    3,441

Please do, via photobucket.

Drabmuloc    14

Hi katyjay, how do I find photo bucket?

katyjay    3,441

Google photobucket, open an account and download your pics on there. Then copy and paste the ones to post on here.

Drabmuloc    14

ok, I have done photobucket, but, when I copy and paste it is only a number........or, does this convert to a picture when I close the screen and reopen?

Enigma.    720

once you have uploaded your photo to photobucket - click on the image and you will be presented with 4 options on the right hand side - left click on the one that says html - it will briefly say copied - then come back here and find the post you want to reply to - click on the more reply options on the bottom right hand corner and tick the enable html and then anywhere in the reply box right click and choose paste and then click on reply

katyjay    3,441

Yes, the number converts to a picture once you click on 'post'

Drabmuloc    14

Good job you are all listening to me...........thanks!

Enigma.    720

all i did was follow my instructions and thats how it should display

you can go back into your post by choosing edit but only for a certain time and then fix it

Drabmuloc    14

Anybody out there with possible names other than the form master JEG Etches?

Drabmuloc    14

Anybody out there wants to respond to the photo?

Drabmuloc    14

A bit disappointed with the response to the photo of 4BT! Will probably stop monitoring this site within the next couple of weeks.

benjamin1945    8,712

Bit mardy aint ya Drab ?...........i posted school photos of Padstow about two months ago nameing about 60 pupils and only one on here recognised anybody,had a good response with lots of banter though,...................and that was Padstow so what chance you got with Manvers...........lol.

• Upvote 1