Manvers Secondary Modern School, Carlton Road

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Also sorry drab about your pal,and as Jill says don't give up on the site,I've been on here three years now and have mentioned dozens of old school mates,even school photos, and very seldom have I had

#65   Pales into insignificance when you think about the squillions of former girlfriends he's mentioned!  

Not everyone who recognises that photo is going to be seeing it within a few days of it appearing on here. Sometimes a new member will add a comment to a photo several years after it has been posted.

• 3 years later...

I went to Manvers in the mid 50s. When I arrived it was a brand new school with brilliant facilties. There was a woodworking shop, metalwork shop, science lab, art room, superb gymnasium, nice library, tennis courts, cricket pitch and a football pitch near the old railway tunnels and a lovely dinner hall where the dinner ladies cooked our food (no chips!). As you walked through the main entrance doors you were met with a mural of a shipyard that had been painted on the main wall.

Some of the teachers I remember were: Mr Etches (history), Jowett (woodworking), Turner (English), Hawkins (English), Musgrove (Art, his brother played for West Ham United), Mason (can't remember what he taught but he had a personality bye-pass), Mackenzie (or Macintosh) taught metalwork (I think that was his name). The headmaster was Mr Salt and his deputy was Mr Pearce (who taught Technical Drawing), Cork (Geography) and Lamont (a big jolly teacher who taught English and once stood up at assembly and talked for about half an hour on his life like an an old fashioned Jasper Carrott).

The pupils I remember were Norman Hunt, Gerald Pyzer, Alan Hallsworth, Colin Handforth (a big Forest fan), Victor Shepherd, Jimmy Lindley and Barrington Simon (a lovely West Indian lad who was a superb cricketer).

When it was sports lesson we got on a bus that took us to Trant Lane to use the pitches there.. We never had any homework all the time I was there.

I was lucky enough to play for the school football and cricket teams and was picked to play for the pupils against the teachers at the end of term.

I left in 1960 and it was about then that the school changed and it became mixed. Then it finally closed as a school and I think it is now a business centre or something. I sometimes walk past the building and I have been tempted to just have a look around what used to be the playground but as yet not had the courage in case I get kicked out.

• 2 years later...

Hi Den, I too went the Manvers in the mid late 50s and JEG Etches was my form master and teacher of English and was wickedly accurate with a piece of chalk! Mr Mason taught maths. Corky will never be forgotten. Do you remember Mr Williams RE teacher? I fancy you might have been in a class above mine as I don't recognise any names you mention. I have a photo of Mr Etches class of '58. Do you have any class pictures? I will now monitor this web site for your and anybody else's possible response!

Drabmuloc.

Hi to you old Manvers boys.

I am just making notes of your topics, master went to Manvers in the 50s and he used to tell me about Corky we did have a photo of some Manvers boys when the trip went to Alps unfortunately some one ask if they could loan it and we have not seen it since. At the moment master is in noddy land will let you have more info later.

• Upvote 1

Just ask master about Manvers he left in 1957. Corky used to teach maths, so master said, when he was at Manvers there was no cricket pitchers they used to have to go to the forest for sports. The sports grounds had not even started being built.

Mr Ashmore taught English, he left and went to Canada, Mr Payne was this headmaster, Mr Bennet taught P.E. Mr Williams taught RE. Mr Poole taught crafts, Mr Spindley taught science. The drama and English teacher was known as ( stretch can't remember his real name) Mr Ransom taught geography, Mr Cook used to teach gardening and other things also carried a piece of willow cane with him to belt you with. Mr Pearce used to teach tec drawing.

Can't at the moment remember any more.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

Manvers was a bi-lateral school when I was there. Somebody mentioned a trip to the Alps. Was that the same trip I went on to Interlaken in Switzerland. I have fond memories of marching up a wooden bridge, built into a huge rock, on our way to Grindlewald Glacier. Wanting to visit Jungfraujoch, but, at £10 a ticket (20% of my spending money!) I couldn't afford it. Went up ten years ago and it now costs £100, but, so worth it! Playing in the snow at Schynige Platte.........if I go on I will start crying! Happy memories!

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Bit mardy aint ya Drab ?...........i posted school photos of Padstow about two months ago nameing about 60 pupils and only one on here recognised anybody,had a good response with lots of banter though,...................and that was Padstow so what chance you got with Manvers...........lol.

• Upvote 1

Not everyone who recognises that photo is going to be seeing it within a few days of it appearing on here. Sometimes a new member will add a comment to a photo several years after it has been posted.

To prove my point, Drabmuloc at post #5 you yourself responded to a message which was 2 years old.

• Upvote 3

OK, OK...............I am being a little impatient. However, I did prefer the LizzieM 'slapped hands' to the two that followed. I'm a new boy (bit of stretching of the truth to say 'new' boy, more like old man!) to this set up. When I first went on the now defunced Friends Reunited the response was almost immediate. I will, in the immortal words of Michael Winner, settle down now and patiently wait! Thanks, thus far, to all the respondents!

• Upvote 3
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Benjamin1945, I have now ticked your communication! Am I right to assume the name reflects your dob and if so your were a year ahead of me........if you went to Manvers. I do hope your lol means 'laugh out load' and not 'lots of.......'!

• Upvote 1

EY UP Drab,.............yes its my DOB,...............but never went to Manvers mate..........I was a Padstow boy,.........remember playing football against Manvers, I think on the Forest?

The Forest! Goose Fair, cycle racing and Ray Booty, learning to drive on the parking area at the far end. Parties at the house almost at the top corner at the cemetery end. The girls school opposite.....oh so many very happy memories. Coffee at the Bambo coffee bar, harder stuff at the Dolphin in North Church Street, jazz and jive at the YMCA, jive and 'other things' at the Palais de dance, the Beatles at the Odeon.........why did I leave?

• Upvote 1