Manvers Secondary Modern School, Carlton Road

Hi All!

What a sad sight the building is in Clif Ton's pics. I assume it is the back of the building as I think I can spot my classroom i.e. the same room as is behind my picture of the class of '58. Yes Benja45 'tis the same Ray Booty. By the way all.....the party venue of yesteryear was at the opposite top end to the cemetery........and, as I type, the owners name comes to mind....Mr & Mrs. Bernard Baines! Where on earth did that come from!! LizzieM, do enlighten me and (maybe) all - who was the Perveril Peril?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Also sorry drab about your pal,and as Jill says don't give up on the site,I've been on here three years now and have mentioned dozens of old school mates,even school photos, and very seldom have I had

#65   Pales into insignificance when you think about the squillions of former girlfriends he's mentioned!  

Not everyone who recognises that photo is going to be seeing it within a few days of it appearing on here. Sometimes a new member will add a comment to a photo several years after it has been posted.

Drabmuloc, PP (Terry) is a member of Nottstalgia, was a keen and very good cyclist years ago and is still a very fit man considering his age ......  you'll find him on the Members List.  

• Upvote 1

Drab.............I only knew about Ray Booty when I met his brother Gordon and wife Mary whilst on holiday a couple of years ago,Gordon was also a keen cyclist and competed........they were mentioned on here at the time,i think another member on here also knew them Rob L ?

Yes, Ray Booty ('The Boot') was a good mate. Rode with him and his brother Gordon a fair bit. Also met up for ice skating and jazz clubbing back in the 50's/60's. As well as being the best all round cyclist he was a gentleman and a very interesting, intelligent person. 

Last met him about 15 years ago when I was riding the championship 100 on the Fosse. He was the first man to ride 100 miles in less than 4 hours and he was quite amused that I had waited until I was 62, 45 years later, before doing the same. lol

RobL's dad Nick Loasby was the photographer of all things cycling and must have taken dozens of pics of Ray. 

• Upvote 2

Fascinating Peverilperil, what memories! I remember standing on the corner of the Forest recreation ground, Mansfield Road end, and the pathway coming under the cemetery, and, I dropped a tennis ball just as a group of 20 odd racers came round the bend. It rolled all the way through every rider....I must have aged 20 years during the 5 or 10 seconds. Exciting memory.....now, because nobody got hurt!

• 1 month later...

Hi ho, another months gone bye and not a word. Never mind. One point though, my title 'Newbie'. I used to know a guy called Newby Taylor, David Newby Taylor to be precise. Is there any body out there  who knows him? I have a gift he gave me 'many' years ago and I would love to tell him I still have it.

Hi Drabmuloc

What year was you at Manvers?

My other half went there.  No one ever seems  to mention  the old  Manver's  only when it went bilateral

Hi Mary1947,

I went there between '54 and '59, and, as far as I can recall, it was always a boys bilateral school until I  left '59. Only did it later become a mixed school of undetermined (to me at least) educational format.

Hi again Mary1947!

Just read your intro and spotted your St Ann's interest. Now, this getting interesting. Where did you live to have an interest in that neck of the woods? The reasonI ask is because I am a St Ann's lad!

..........WAS a St Ann's lad!

Hi Drabmuloc

Lived on Norland Road went to St Ann's Board School then Sycamore, have two bothers David and Brian one went to Morley the other Manvers.

Left St Ann's about 1970 lived all my young life in unfit house's so the council said when the pulled St Ann's down.

• Upvote 1

Hi Drabmuloc

when at Manvers  did you know a boy called knocker?

Sorry the master doe's not want his name ,told.

Never mind. St Ann's Boarding School? Confirm, when you where there, it was not exactly a 'boarding' school, but, a regular primary day school. If it is the regular kids school then I went there too. All I can remember is the main central hall was huge, some of the class rooms led off on one side, there was a stage at the opposite end to the St Ann's Well road end, there was a metal walkway twenty odd feet above the ground all the way round, I think to get to the window mechanics, and, now I think about it, at the back of the stage was a very high wall and behind the wall there were further class rooms on several floors! You entered the school on the right hand side half way up the road, and, behind it was the playground. To explain it's position - the school took up all the space between two streets on St Ann's road on the left hand side travelling towards The Wells Road. Both my brothers went to Morley and after we moved from the flat above the business to a house off Huntingdon Street I went firstly to Huntingdon Street junior school and then Manvers........after having failed Religious Knowledge for a Bluecoat place! Is it not incredible how the mind (I nearly wrote brain!) works. I haven't thought about Nottingham for so many years, but, it is 'almost' as though it were yesterday.

• Upvote 2
3 hours ago, Drabmuloc said:

Hi all! When I opened up the site I had a notification that there was a new 'note', but, I can't find any new contact/notification......help!

Where you see Notifications at the top right of the Home Page, click on the bell symbol, then click on the blue text which tells you where the notification is. It will take you directly to it.

The photo looks a bit like my old primary school, Hogarth Junior on Carlton Road/Linnel Street. If so, it's now a Hindu temple. I went from Hogarth in about 1958-9 to Manvers Bilateral, I'm just wondering if Hogarth was called Manvers prior to the new Manvers being built in the early 50s on the old brickyard further up Carlton Road?

Cheers

MB

Hi Drabmuloc

St Ann's board school was an infant and junior school. I went about 51/52 left 57/58 went on to Sycamore schools for girls.

Infant school head mistress was a Mrs Hayes and Junior school head master was a Mr Salt, the school was between Edwin St and Duncomb St. Your right the class rooms of the junior school did come off the hall, opposite the stage was a class room which was at mazzanine level this was the art room. At the front of the school which was on St Ann's Well road were stone steps each side of the entrance (very impressive) but in all the years I attended I never knew any one who had used the front entrance.

• Upvote 1

OMG! Cliff Ton's picture is definitely St Ann's Board School. I really must go on google earth, go back to.....er.....yesteryear, and check out the streets either side and then see if I can see the Cavendish pub next to Cavendish Street.........it's all coming back. There was a tri fronted grocery shop called Tetleys, their son Keith died quite young. There was a Bookies on Southampton Street run by Charlie Williams. I think my dad 'probably' paid his mortgage. And May1947 you are so right, I had forgot the front entrance. Keep the comments coming guys and gals!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mary1947! Just thought I would let you know.....treated myself to a set of Drakes Pride d-tec bowls this morning, had a roll up this afternoon (indoors obviously) and I surprised myself with their accuracy! Couple more roll ups and they will be ready for a league triples match on Wednesday afternoon.