Manvers Secondary Modern School, Carlton Road

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Also sorry drab about your pal,and as Jill says don't give up on the site,I've been on here three years now and have mentioned dozens of old school mates,even school photos, and very seldom have I had

#65   Pales into insignificance when you think about the squillions of former girlfriends he's mentioned!  

Not everyone who recognises that photo is going to be seeing it within a few days of it appearing on here. Sometimes a new member will add a comment to a photo several years after it has been posted.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Just lost my first best mate, and, thus, my ties with dear old Nottingham are slowly, but surely, ebbing away. I will continue to monitor this site, but, I really don't hold out much hope for any further revelations as no body has come back acknowledging the existence of any of my youthful haunts which included the YMCA Jaze and Jive, the Dolphin pub in North Church Street, the Palais de Dance, Horne Brothers on Long Row, the shooting club underneath the Castle........the list is endless!

Also sorry drab about your pal,and as Jill says don't give up on the site,I've been on here three years now and have mentioned dozens of old school mates,even school photos, and very seldom have I had a response,but when the odd one does crop up its been well worth the wait, so cheer up mate and keep posting,

• Upvote 4
  • 2 weeks later...

Dear Jill, I will persevere, thanks for not picking up on my jaze.....er.....jazz error, and, he, Bengi, is only 25......such fond memories of that many years ago! Thanks for the sympathy, but, that's life! Took my brother, who lives in Pinxton, for lunch at the Countryman Pub on Sunday, and, if you've not been there I can well recommend it. Best wishes to all until my next post.......Drab!

• Upvote 1

Ey-up Drab.........nice to see you still posting......i know Milton Keynes quite well,worked there for the Coop in late 90's,they had a store in most districts of MK..........Fishermead,Netherfield,GT Longstone,Bletchley etc,....can't say it was on of my favourite places,........anyway keep posting mate.

• 2 months later...

Hi all! Well another three months have gone by and no new postings....shame. Just booked the South of France for three weeks in June/July so looking forward to that. Outdoor bowling season has just begun (not looking forward to changeable weather!) so I hope I am as successful this season outdoors as I was indoors just gone. Sit here in the back garden, sometimes sunny and warm and sometime cloudy and cold, but, a glorious green all around! Went to the theatre last night and watched the Northern Ballet perform their new ballet Casanova. If you get the opportunity....don't miss it.....if you are into ballet that is! Out to dinner tonight so must get on and prepare. Night all!

Hi Drabmuloc

hope you have a good time in France but don't you know that your not allowed any holidays during bowling season (just jokeing) not sure of your age but in June they have over 55s bowls week at Skegness and almost every bowler you know will be there, the their are two other events one in Aug and then in Sept.

Talking about the ballet tried very hard to get tickets for The Red Shoes had to go and see Nutcracker in stead was not brilliant but OK

Do you ever go to the Opera's if not I can recommend it, don't worry if they don't sing in English as  you have a TV screen so you can read what is being sung.

Good Luck for your Bowling season, who do you play for?

Answer when you can.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mary1947, ballet, opera, theatre in general, to include serious and light pieces including musicals. Spent many years visiting London theatres, living just 35 miles north of the capital, but now we go to Milton Keynes Theatre for two reasons - they have all the major performers there, and, it's only a twenty minute drive! Keep your eye's peeled for 'anything' by the Northern Ballet...we have never been disappointed! We are also very fortunate to have on the doorstep the Wavendon Theatre....a great musical experience! They have three or four concerts a week and we manage to get to around a dozen a year. I'm retired now and this gives me all the time in the world to enjoy everything in my own time.....golf, bowls, theatre, reading, gardening, site seeing, holidays, whatever! Don't travel too far to play bowls, bit like the golf, there are so many opportunities not too far from home. My biggest travel is to the south of France every year and that wonderful trip is not too far away. Just booked the tunnel and the hotels going down. We always stop at the same hotels and fortunately get the same rooms....so nothing disappoints! When we get down there we rent a villa about 35 miles inland from the coast and being perched on the side of a hill the views are wonderful. That's it for now.......got to buy my NowTV ticket for tomorrow's match!!!

• 2 months later...

Hi my name is John Snowden. I went to Manvers from 1965sih to 1969. My form teacher was Mr Cork. I also remember the trip to Interlaken Switzerland and have revisited twice in the past 15 years. Anyone have the strap off of Corky? I did, painful. He used to call it Tickle Toby. I also received the cane once. Im not a bad lad but used to talk and muck about abit. Mr Hollingsworth was the Headmaster and Mr Pearce the Deputy Head. Dr. Leightgeb used to try to teach us German but gave up after two years and we had extra maths lessons instead. My form was 1T2,to 5T2. CSE grade,In my final year we amalgamated with Pierrpont Girls school. That was good.........I remember Lance Wright who used to teach Geagraphy and Valerie Mumby who taught PE...Wow!!! 

• 3 months later...
On ‎26‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 4:46 PM, Drabmuloc said:

The Forest! Goose Fair, cycle racing and Ray Booty, learning to drive on the parking area at the far end. Parties at the house almost at the top corner at the cemetery end. The girls school opposite.....oh so many very happy memories. Coffee at the Bambo coffee bar, harder stuff at the Dolphin in North Church Street, jazz and jive at the YMCA, jive and 'other things' at the Palais de dance, the Beatles at the Odeon.........why did I leave?

The "Bamboo" was the first Coffee Bar I ever went to. Lots of good music and frothy coffee. The girlfriend at the time was so posh but gorgeous with long blonde hair and blue eyes. Her name was ..........  (Old age again)

• 1 month later...
On ‎05‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 0:26 AM, Drabmuloc said:

...........and, I am delighted to note.......I am no longer a Newbie....I'm a Member!

So glad you managed to get your self some bowls as I said once you start playing you get hooked If you are playing at Alfreton indoors center then they will close around April, then its all out doors for some fresh air, if your interested in playing outdoors contact me, it would be nice to have a new member, you can have 4/5 roll ups free to see if you like out doors. 

PS its our bowls AGM 11th if interested contact if not cant blame you as its just a load of waffle. 

I attended Manvers Secondary Modern school from 1955 until 1959

I was in Mr Ashmore's class, a first rate teacher who left and emigrated to Canada in 1957/58

Our class taught by him was form 2T2 and I have clear recollection of him inviting the whole

form to a Christmas party at at his home at Lamcote House, Radcliffe-on-Trent in 1956.

I also have clear memories of our then music teacher, Mr David Lumsden, an extremely talented man

who in addition to teaching, became  the choirmaster of St Mary's church in the Lace market,

and then became head of music at Southwell Minster, before carrying on to even greater things.

Mr Ashmore was succeeded by  Mr Holmewood as our form master and Mr Lumsden was succeeded by Mr Hawkins

as our music teacher. I recall also a Mr McGowan, who taught history, and I remember him possessing a strange

trait where when we copied dialogue into our excercise books from the blackboard, the text was always supported by a little

drawing at the end of each line of text in colour, which he insisted we copied also!

Our art teacher, Mr Musgrove,  bought me my first Nottingham Forest kit......in exchange for a

spare ticket I had obtained for the Nottingham Forest v Aston Villa FA cup semi final, played at Hillsboro, Sheffield the year

Forest won the FA cup!

Mr Lumsden also took the school choir to perform at the Royal Albert Hall, Nottingham in a Nottingham school choirs contest

where we sadly came last.

Can anyone recall the name of the school houses of which there were either four or six, but I can only recall:

Hudson, Shackleton and Willoughby & Scott.....(were there more?)

Does anyone recall English teacher Mr Edwards, who staged a Shakespearean play at Christmas, and which seemed to

involve a substantial number of lads for acting, and scenery construction.

The first one was 'The Merchant of Venice', in which Mr Edwards himself played the role of Shylock, and excellent it was too.

The following year 'The Tempest' was staged in which both Mr Edwards and Mr McKillop, the metalwork teacher both took acting roles

with similar success.

The Hogarth school was in fact infants and juniors but before Manvers on Carlton Road was built the old Manvers was attached to Hogarth, when the new Manvers was built students came from St Ann's, Carlton, Netherfied, and lots more places

• 5 months later...

Hello limmy73. Just catching up on the website when I spotted this. I was also at Manvers in the late 50's. As regards the school houses there was six of them. They were (with their colours) Hudson blue; Shackleton Red; Willoughby yellow; Scott Green; Frobisher purple and Ross  orange. The art teacher Mr Musgrove had a brother Malcolm, who played for West Ham. To say it was a secondary modern school it was brilliant with facilities that most grammar schools couldn't beat. Hope the house names rings a few bells

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
On 19 July 2016 at 2:27 PM, Drabmuloc said:

Manvers was a bi-lateral school when I was there. Somebody mentioned a trip to the Alps. Was that the same trip I went on to Interlaken in Switzerland. I have fond memories of marching up a wooden bridge, built into a huge rock, on our way to Grindlewald Glacier. Wanting to visit Jungfraujoch, but, at £10 a ticket (20% of my spending money!) I couldn't afford it. Went up ten years ago and it now costs £100, but, so worth it! Playing in the snow at Schynige Platte.........if I go on I will start crying! Happy memories!

I was on that trip and still have photo of the group taken at Midland Station by the Nottingham Evening Post , Mr Ashmore and Mr Etches where our teachers on the trip Mr Etches had his wife with him. Some journey to get there train to the ferry then train in France to not sure whether we arrived at Balse or Berne