Thing that strikes me about those school photos is how similar we all looked in those class photos. I went to a different school, but you could interchange a lot of those kids with ours and you'd probably never notice.

• Upvote 2

That's it Enigma - Ravenshaw. I remember that we used to snigger when one of the masters kept calling our dorm Brackenshaw instead of Brackenhurst.

The swimming pool reminds me of a very chilly afternoon when our dorm had a swimming session. We all stood around shivering and didn't want to go in. One of the masters came along and poured a kettle of hot water in and said "get in there - you have no excuse now!"

• 2 years later...

Thanks again CT. This was taken in 1951 in front of the Hartsmere billet. The back two rows were Trent Bridge boys and the front two rows were from Berridge. I got the cane from the teacher on the right. Managed to forget his name. Two of the big lads on the back row threw me into a thorn thicket for another bit of mischief. Oh! I'm 5th from left on front row.

pipewood.jpg?w=480&h=480&fit=clip

I was at pipewood in 1957 and on this pic.

I'm seated on the floor far left. Two rows behind me is a Pipewood teacher, Mr Boyle. The teacher on the right was Mr Winkmann. I recognise 6 Ellis lads in this pic and there are also a couple of lads I recognise from Glaisdale drive/Staverton area. The 2 Lads next to Boyle brought a wind up gramophone to the school to play in our free time and the record collection included Wayward Wind and Last Train to San Fernando, which always bring back memories of Pipewood when I hear them. On Sunday church parade the lads who owned the gramophone dressed in fully authentic light blue ted suits complete with ladder-stripe ties and beetle crushers. I enjoyed my time there and returned in '58.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, PeverilPeril said:

Thanks again CT. This was taken in 1951 in front of the Hartsmere billet. The back two rows were Trent Bridge boys and the front two rows were from Berridge. I got the cane from the teacher on the right. Managed to forget his name. Two of the big lads on the back row threw me into a thorn thicket for another bit of mischief. Oh! I'm 5th from left on front row.

PP, what had you done to deserve the cane - can you remember?  I hope the big boys who threw you n the brambles were caught and caned!  

You look quite cute and a bit cheeky X

WW, You look like you were a good little boy - not like that naughty Peveril  Peril!!   I remember that song - 'Last train..." it reminds me of jiving in Woodthorpe Park on summer evenings - we took a portable record player there...

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, PeverilPeril said:

Margie - look through the earlier posts and you will see why I deserved the cane and being thrown into the thorns. Being caned and thrown into the thorn bushes was worth it though, Kudos with the other boys :cool:

I've just scrolled back to see why you were caned...... never thought you were quite such a naughty boy!