• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...

Cricket not very popular on here...........played a lot until I was about 40..........one of my ex's really hated it,and back around 1980 came with me back to Nottingham to watch me play in a company match I played for Peterborough office v Nottingham at Highfields,..........we were staying up here for the weekend,and the EX was obviously looking forward to meeting old friends and family.........however Nottm amassed a big score and the only chance we had was batting out for a draw............it was my finest hour in cricket.........batted for about 3 hours scoring 59 not out, and got us a draw,game ended at 8pm.........she didn't speak to me rest of the week-end.............and we Divorced soon after..............love cricket.............lol.

• Upvote 3

Could have been worse, Benji. She could smacked you 'round your 'ead with the bat and shoved a stump up your jacksie; blunt end first.:rotfl: 

Believe me Chulla she did many similar things............lol.................still loves me though.......................

Where Ben and the ladies are concerned, I have a mental image of a line of females arranged domino-style and stretching into infinity, all ready to capitulate in a chain reaction at the mere sight of him.  Unless, of course, it's all a load of hogwash!  :wacko:

He makes Casanova look like a wallflower!

.....cue Chulla!?

• Upvote 1

Hogwash........Jill

Hogwash indeed Jill...........ive always thought I was normal...............its everyone else...............lol.

• Upvote 1

I never knock folk who have been with the same partner since teens........as long as there happy good luck to them..........but don't agree with staying together if you not happy......life too short to waste it..........just don't pretend.....does no-body any good........zest for life is great but try not to hurt anyone along the way.........suppose its an individual thing.........glad i'm still friends with ex's.......they have done ok.........bless em............can't fault em for missing me..............lol.

• Upvote 1

Always think Cricket reflects life.................you can be a 'Flambouyant' player,hitting 6's and bowling bouncers.........or more sedate solid defensive,......back to the wall defending manfully,.......race round the field catching everything.....nudging a four thru the slips..........or slashing wildly and missing,........being caught at the wicket through not being bold........tempted by a delicate spinner........and above all seeing it thru to the bitter end and taking defeat gracefully.......and being magnanamus in victory.............I could go on but won't...............lol.

Beefy did well enough at his flamboyant best.

Only time I have ever watched cricket, one lunch time in a pub just outside Swadlincote a good few years ago now. I had taken a couple of clients for some lunch and we could hear the noise coming from the bar, curiosity got the better of one of the chaps and he went for a look see.

Spent the rest of the afternoon watching Botham win the ashes, Jesus he could hit a ball, boss not impressed......

Beefy great striker of the ball on his day.......didn't know how to defend though........very lucky as a bowler....took lots of wickets from rank long hops .......not generally liked among his piers......but take nowt away from him great record...and on his day a great match winner,.......saw him play football for Scunthorpe not very good but the crowds turned out for him.........and give him his due stood on the pitch after game signing autographs for all the youngsters.............

Just realised my bad memory caused me to tell a fib, I have watched cricket at other times.

The company I was a manager for used to hire the Scarborough ground club house during the cricket festival and we as managers had to attend to entertain the guests. I spent a day in the company of Geoff Boycott, despite his reputation I found him to be a very nice man and a good raconteur. Sitting in the club house with him, sarnies and a glass of beer was a better deal than sitting in front of it watching the cricket.

• Upvote 1

#9. Just think, Jill, you could have been in that line what with your shared interest in liberty bodices. Enticement with a couple of tins of Spam by Benji Bluebeard and you wouldn't resist - wife number 76.:rotfl:

• Upvote 1

We recently stayed in a hotel in Barbados, also staying there were a large group of 'mature' English men. I asked one of them (who happened to be from Mapperley) who they were and why they were there. They are The Forty Club, a wandering cricket team from all over the UK. They play cricket all over the world, anywhere there is cricket played. They were there for 10 matches against local teams and schools. I thought that a lovely thing to do, especially as they were mostly over 65,  and still playing.

• Upvote 3
  • 3 weeks later...

As Notts CCC are now approaching the new season, and are currently playing various friendlies. Let's hope that the forthcoming season brings success throughout, and more importantly, promotion back to the top flight. 

We've suffered with having players in the England squad over a period of years, and have paid the price of having some of the best players in the country. 

• Upvote 1
  • 3 months later...

Congratulations to Nottinghamshire Outlaws and Alex Hales in particular, for winning the One Day Final......

• Upvote 4

Tremendous result for Notts, thought it was all over bar the shouting after 25 overs, but unbelievable knock by Alex Hales with support from Chris Read brought the silverware back to Trent Bridge, and should be back in the top flight next season.

• Upvote 3
  • 5 years later...
  • 2 months later...
On 7/2/2022 at 7:50 PM, philmayfield said:

In all my years in Notts I've never heard of Nuncargate. I shall seek it out in pursuit of the perfect pie. 

@philmayfield Nuncargate is where the legendary Notts and England fast bowler Harold Larwood was from. He signed for Notts, after he and his father had walked from home to Trent Bridge for his trial, for the same weekly wage he got as a miner at Annesley pit. Later in his career he was pilloried by the cricket authorities after bowling what was termed bodyline bowling, on the instructions of Douglas Jardine his test captain, at the Australian batsmen in the 1932 - 33 tour of Australia which the Aussies called unsporting.  His biography, by Duncan Hamilton, is a very good read

2 hours ago, Hey Arnold said:

bodyline bowling, on the instructions of Douglas Jardine his test captain, at the Australian batsmen in the 1932 - 33 tour of Australia which the Aussies called unsporting. 

As every true Englishman knows it was "Leg Theory" not Bodyline. Unsporting from the Aussies, that's a laugh. Who remembers these famous Australian cricket unsporting incidents? 

In 1979  Denis Lillee went out to bat against England with an aluminium bat, legal then but unsporting.

The famous underarm ball in 1981 when Gregg Chappell the Australian captain instructed his brother Trevor to bowl the last ball of the game with New Zealand underarm, perfectly within the rules then but unsporting.

The most recent was in 2018, "Sandpapergate", as it became known as, rocked the cricketing world when three Australian players including the captain were banned from playing for roughing up the ball with sandpaper which was in one of the players pockets. He was caught on camera conducting this unsporting act.

• Like 1

Hey Arnold   In Nuncargate there is a pub called The Cricket's arm's and inside there are someold photos of Horald Larwood. When  first he went to Lords was there not some problem about him useing/going in there as Chricket was only for Gentalmen?, and Harald was from working class.

I am sure if any of above is correct hopefully a member will tell me? 

Pub Name ?

Lords ?      this bit I seemed to remember from years ago but could be wrong.

• Like 1