Bring back any memories?

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am having a lazy couple of hours sitting around browsing the Internet and landed on Picture the Past. I searched my favourite place "Gedling" and there have been so many additions since I last looke

I remember little 'Woolies' at the bottom of Hockley. It had very worn and uneven wooden floor boards and tripped over on them. I cried and had a bit of a tantrum with the pain but mam soon put a stop

Even today Margie I still like Strawberry jam on fresh crusty bread but please don't put butter on it like Grandma use to do...:victory:

1 hour ago, Brew said:

I remember little 'Woolies' at the bottom of Hockley. It had very worn and uneven wooden floor boards and tripped over on them. I cried and had a bit of a tantrum with the pain but mam soon put a stop to that. Up came the leg of my short trousers and two hand prints quickly appeared on my thigh - that's for showing me up she said. Only when we were back home did she find the splinter in my knee. A kiss, a cuddle and a big jam sandwich soon made things right.

I wish your mom had been in a certain restaurant we were in yesterday where two little monsters were beating the tar out of each other, climbing all over the seats and screaming while daddy smiled and took pictures of them with his phone.

Sorry if I sound sour.  It's Monday a.m.  :biggrin:

Btw.  Not trying to hijack the thread to a discussion on kids in restaurants.  Just expressing approval of your mam.

We used to go into Hockley Woolworths too sometimes. 

As for "making an exhibition of yourself in public" as my mum would term it, that wasn't even worth thinking about or I'd have had two hand marks, just like Brew. Going out in public, especially to eat, required absolutely impeccable manners...or else. It was expected, so we complied. Not out of fear either but from a sense of not wanting to cause your parents embarrassment or humiliation. I've had as many slaps as the next person from my mum but I never doubted how much she loved me, nor did it affect how much I loved her.

Sadly, times have changed for many.

• Like 1

What have I missed, I used to get slapped legs for not talking at granny's one week then the following week I would get slapped legs for talking, in fact I got slapped legs for just being there I think, bloody childhood

Rog

• Like 1

Woollies had those big personal weighing scales - bright red with a large ring-shaped red neon light inside, "Avery" in gold letters at the front and very strange (to me, at the time) brass cylinders which moved outwards when you stood on the platform. Kids were encouraged to weigh themselves as they received a little ticket like a cigarette card telling their weight.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, plantfit said:

What have I missed, I used to get slapped legs for not talking at granny's one week then the following week I would get slapped legs for talking, in fact I got slapped legs for just being there I think, bloody childhood

Slight lack of consistency there, Rog, but you've turned out a thoroughly decent chap and none the worse for it!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

When my mum was saving for her bottom draw she brought a set of small wine glasses they had a coffee colour base and around the rim was all in gold leaf (not real gold)  I think six glasses cost her 6d this was in 1936 when she married.  Me each payday I would go down to (woollies) for part of my bottom draw but the thing's I brought cost 4/6 each now, I only used to get £2 10/- wages so to me they were expensive, they were wooden handles knife, fork, and spoon, believe or not I still have a set of six, six knives, six spoons and six forks. No not four candles? to quote a phase. Married 1965.

While on holiday early in the year, I got talking to a man and his wife don't ask me how, but the talk got around to Woolies it appear' s that the man had worked his way up at Woolies from shop floor / manager/ director. He ask me what do you remember about Woolies. as I said earlier the chandelier's  the big brown wooden counters and you could bye a 45rpm record of the top ten for 4/6 not by the real artist though. Woolies bottom Hockley was always called Little lWoolworths    Never thought I would see the day when Woolworth's had gone.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Slight lack of consistency there, Rog, but you've turned out a thoroughly decent chap and none the worse for it!

Character building Jill, character building, din't do me any harm in the end

Rog

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

It was the coal shovel one day for being late home from school one lunch time,right across the elbow,split me skin it did blood everywhere, when I got back home that night from school (on time this time) I got another one from the same shovel for getting blood on me shirt, couldn't win,never been a winner at owt lol

Rog

• Like 1

It would have been a very different story today, Rog. Possibly resulting in your being placed in foster care. Your mum would also have been visited by the police, not to mention a tribe of social workers. Times have changed.

In my formative years, between about 10 - 14, my mother used to slap me across my mouth, because she said that that's where all the rubbish came from. She got a shock one day when she slapped me, and I kicked her on the shin !

Dad meanwhile NEVER hit me. He just used words !

The funny thing about all this is it wasn't until reading some of the posts about members childhoods some years ago that what happened to me wasn't the norm,I thought everyone (of my generation) got the same treatment,so I suppose you could say I didn't know any different,whats happened in the past has happened and nothing is going to change that, to me it was all part of growing up,don't know whether it made me a better or worse person,what I do know though it made me what I am today,I never saw my mother for the last seven years of her life so never got the chance to find out if I was really that bad as a kid or whether that was just the way things were in those days, going to get me trike out now and have a blast around the lanes yipee

Rog

• Upvote 1

I got the odd slap across the side of the face for impertinence but not on a regular basis. Just a few doors along the father kept a stick over the mirror in the front room and regularly thrashed his sons for seemingly minor offences. At junior school the final year teacher used a ruler to slap you over the palms and I did get some of that but in fairness I did get a shilling on two occasions for knowing the names of the Cinque Ports and the Five Towns. At Mellish corporal punishment was used, usually the slipper, but the headmaster did give severe canings which involved him running across his study to deliver the blows. He was a devout Christian. I only slapped my son once for beating the hell out of his sister. Oh how times have changed. I think the more religious the parent or teacher, the more severe the punishment.

• Like 2

My Mum tapped me sharply on my arm once (it really shocked me as I was never slapped),  Dad never slapped me and only once at Junior school did I get a ruler across the back of my legs. (Same teacher as Phil's did that).   

Strangely, I did smack my own children occasionally when they'd been very naughty or rude, but I did feel guilty about doing it afterwards as I knew I should have been able to discipline them without physically hurting them.   I know it's not an excuse, but we had 3 children in 3 and a quarter years so it was hard work and sometimes quite stressful.  But  I really wish I'd never smacked them, as I don't think it necessarily made them into better people..... I hope that was achieved by  really listening to them, teaching them how to share and to understand other people's feelings.  They, as far as I know, have never smacked their own children - who have been taught respect by other more civilised means.

• Like 3
On 9/4/2018 at 8:47 AM, Jill Sparrow said:

It would have been a very different story today, Rog. Possibly resulting in your being placed in foster care. Your mum would also have been visited by the police, not to mention a tribe of social workers. Times have changed.

My mam always threatened us with us being "Put away" as she put it. Often wondered what I missed, couldn't have been any worse than life as it was.

• Like 2

Yes I used to get threatened with that as well Mick, was it Hartley road kids home, "I'll have you put in there" and "I'll chop you down the middle if you do owt wrong"  yep growing up was just one long threat, bless

Rog

• Like 2
7 hours ago, IAN123. said:

Our kid saw The Move5635389211_15c4302b0f.jpgwhat a lineup..Hello Suzie..Night Of Fear..Hey Joe..America..See Emily Play..

Sunrise and Please Help Me.All for 17/6 !!.Eire Apparent are lush and Outer Limits..are often on the turntable.

Won't see the likes of this at Nottingham Arena.

I think 5 bob was a bit steep !!!  smile2

• Like 2