Bring back any memories?

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am having a lazy couple of hours sitting around browsing the Internet and landed on Picture the Past. I searched my favourite place "Gedling" and there have been so many additions since I last looke

I remember little 'Woolies' at the bottom of Hockley. It had very worn and uneven wooden floor boards and tripped over on them. I cried and had a bit of a tantrum with the pain but mam soon put a stop

On 1/5/2018 at 9:05 PM, NewBasfordlad said:

I use to drink it fresh from the cow, still warm and creamy...

Did the cow stand still, or did you have to chase it around?.:rotfl:

Ah, that clears that one up. Couldn't imagine risking a hoof in the gob if irmantrude decided to object!

• Like 1

Some of um could be nasty, though this photo was in ROI back in the late 60s. This one Blue was a pain in the a--e, back then they calved in the field and she would try to kill any other cow's calf, we would have to take two dogs down to keep her off whilst we got the calf and mum back to the barn. Otherwise she was like a pet dog, and would come to her name for a scratch.

• Like 1

Just realised, I spelt Ermentrude with a I, sorry. Just a spell it as you say it moment.

My mate was the sales director of Golden Wonder inc Goldwell drinks (Babycham competitor).  He pointed out a truth to me once, about sales and  marketing. A common excuse from his salesmen in certain Towns was "oh! but this is a Smiths crisps town" or "this is an exclusive Babycham  area".  It was good news for him and he told them that people liked choice. 'Choice' was the key. So the salesman went out to shops and pubs with the message of 'choice' to get sales - or they got the sack. Endless supplies of Goldwell drinks for the ladies in our gang. Lots of hangovers. Awful stuff.

• Like 1

Yes there was still rationing in the early fifties.  I clearly remember the happiness when sugar came off ration.  No more saccharine in the tea.  There was other stuff too but I can't remember the individual items.

Clothing, sheets and blankets too if I recall right Dave, there were other items I don't recall what they were without a search.

There you go, meat was still on ration too...all ended 1954.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/july/4/newsid_3818000/3818563.stm

• Upvote 1

I have been watching a series on TV 'Home in Time for Tea' basically about how northern working class families lived and ate for the last one hundred years. Rationing worked quite well during and after WW2 both rich and poor were eating about the same amount of calories per day. Actually more than the average we eat today, during last nights programme I said to the wife "Proves a point, they ate more calories and yet still there were very few 'lard arses' it's not food that makes you fat it's lack of exercise".

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I remember my mum mixing the butter ration with milk to make it go further - I just thought that's what people did!

Ian, Is that Zigger Zagger, the late great Joe Baker?

I remember that Brian Labone chopped him down in a tackle that today would have got him a red card. It was the famous quarter final against Everton and Joe missed the semi against Spurs at Hillsborough where the Reds were beaten 2-1. To this day I still reckon Jimmy Greaves goal was a mishit.

• Like 1

Remember it well, yes Bovril in the thermos and soggy cheese and tomato sandwiches out of the Tupperware box, hands smelling and tasting slightly of maggots in sawdust or worms and soil.

Judging from all the foam it is likely to be near a weir, Radcliffe/Stoke Bardolph, Gunthorpe or Hazelford or even near the Ferryboat Inn where the drainage dyke comes in. But if I had to put money on it I'd say Beeston Lock.

I thought slightly east of Gunthorpe Lock.

I had 6 months in the ROI back in the 60s before the last lot of troubles. We did up an old mansion house Ardruman (spelling) Hall into an hotel. Situated on the banks of lough Swilly just outside Letterkenny it was beautiful, used to booze in Ramelton on a Saturday night. The pub was owned by the family of a famous folk group and we were lucky enough to be there when they came home to celebrate one of the girls birthday. What a night that was my then mate Dusty fell out the back of a pickup on the way back, that drunk it didn't hurt, well not until the morning when the bruising came out:crazy:.

• Like 3
On 3/20/2018 at 2:42 AM, NewBasfordlad said:

Yep had my Pic took there when a kid, biggest pile of old horse shoe's I ever saw,

There's a pile of horseshoes like that if you go through aslockton, I think it was the done thing at the blacksmith, I've seen another somewhere but can't think where at the moment.

Edit, just looked at the map der! Might be the same pile after seeing the location. But have seen it done elsewhere.

• Upvote 1

Cor, that brings back some memories. Many a Saturday spent hunting for parts at 'Podders'. And if they didn't have it, over to Albert Looms for another rummage round. Don't know why I went to 2 totally different directions!. 

Spent a bit of time in one of those.  In the dark with a bike lamp.  Hoping the big black spiders wouldn't drop on me  'ed from the tank.  The newspaper was stuck on a nail in the wall.  'Appy daze.  :biggrin:

• Like 2