Bring back any memories?

St Ann's was DC too, probably mid 50's when they changed us over, roughly about the same time the gas street lamps were replaced with electric street lighting.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am having a lazy couple of hours sitting around browsing the Internet and landed on Picture the Past. I searched my favourite place "Gedling" and there have been so many additions since I last looke

I remember little 'Woolies' at the bottom of Hockley. It had very worn and uneven wooden floor boards and tripped over on them. I cried and had a bit of a tantrum with the pain but mam soon put a stop

Yes Danny I remember Mr & Mrs Lymn at the shop on the corner and Taylors the Newsagent just on Henrietta Street, there was the greengrocers next to Lymn's whose name I cannot recollect, then on Highbury Road the other way was May Clark's sweet shop, when I was a young child we called her "Goody Shop May". Further along was Turners chemists. You must be older than me I cannot remember 1936 and the only gas mantles I remember were in caravans at Skegness.

Hi Brian , I was 4 in 1936 , so I may be a bit older, the Greengrocers was Ellis`s. I remember May Clarks, if you wanted something in short supply, her standard reply was ' sorry it`s all ordered ".

Cheers Danny

I remember Albert Brown a hairdresser Got put in jail When he got out someone drew a bum on his shop window & it said business as usual

Does anyone remember the guy we used to call the Nottingham Nose i have a story about him that nearly kills me everytime i think about it

I remember around 1970 an old tramp type guy who had a big pock marked nose who hung around snienton market.

I always thought it was some kind of nasty disease?

Itchy Coo was a tramp i remember he would walk half way across the road & then run back getting a bit further each time ,It took him about 30 min to actually make it,I know cos i watched him one lunchtime

The guy we called the Nottingham Nose had something wrong with him & it was about six inches long

• 1 year later...

I remember at work workers play time (I think that' what's its called)

Can anyone remember any others.

I remember it from the sixties (did it start in the fifties?)

Carni, re #60, "It's 12 Noon in Britain, 1.00 O'clock in Germany". Jean Metcalfe and Cliff Michelmore with Forces Favourites, followed by a half hour comedy such as Rays A Laugh, life With The Lyons, Archie Andrews, Ignorance is Bliss etc, then The Billy Cotton Band Show.

That was how to have Sunday dinner in them thar days!!

To remember Two Way Family Favourites, you also have remember the joint cooking and the smells coming from the kitchen. And it wasn't a poxy chicken either! It was good old beef, pork and lamb. Chicken was for posh folks, how times have changed.

• Upvote 1

As I remember it - in my day at least - The Billy Cotton Band Show was always on first, at 1.30pm, following Family Favourites. Then it would be the two comedy shows at 2pm and 2.30pm (a couple of my own favourutes were The Navy Lark and The Clitheroe Kid. At 3pm it would be Movie-Go-Round (I think) - the film news and review programme introduced by Peter Haigh. I think it was 4pm when Pick of the Pops was on for an hour.

Re Workers Playtime, at High Pavement in the early 1960s for the boys who took sandwiches rather than have school dinners a classroom was set aside for you to eat them in during the lunch break from 12.30 to 2pm. The radio (through Rediffusion speakers) would be switched on, tuned to the Light Programme, and Workers Playtime would be on at least one day a week (may have been more) so very likely would have started at 1230pm. There must have been singers on the programme but I only remember the comedians, such as Cardew 'The Cad' Robinson and 'Mrs Shufflewick'.

On at least one other day of the week there would be Mid-Day Music Hall - another variety show - and I think there was also an early pop music programme called Go, Man, Go!

To remember Two Way Family Favourites, you also have remember the joint cooking and the smells coming from the kitchen. And it wasn't a poxy chicken either! It was good old beef, pork and lamb. Chicken was for posh folks, how times have changed.

You're right there - chicken was a treat for Christmas Day. Now beef is!

And corned beef was a cheap substitute for 'real' meat - now I can hardly afford it.

I recall hearing Morecambe and Wise on Workers Playtime, long before they were on TV, there were some good comedians started on radio.

And don't forget "Have a Go" with Wilfred Pickles......

Regarding "Have a go" - there was a question that stumped a lot of contestants - I think it went on for more than one week : "My watch is five minutes fast; I think it's five minutes slow; I think it's two o' clock. What time is it really?"

Hilda Baker,,,Has he been yet and I must get a little hand for this watch, anyone remember a TV programme called Lunch box with Noel Gorden?

Rog

yes I just remember Lunch Box as a kid, they showed a trailer for Doris Days "Move over Darling" ( The car wash Scene) it looked funny on a small grainy BW TV set, but when we saw it on the big screen in colour we started crying in fear!!!

Regarding "Have a go" - there was a question that stumped a lot of contestants - I think it went on for more than one week : "My watch is five minutes fast; I think it's five minutes slow; I think it's two o' clock. What time is it really?"

10 minutes to 2