Bring back any memories?

To remember Two Way Family Favourites, you also have remember the joint cooking and the smells coming from the kitchen. And it wasn't a poxy chicken either! It was good old beef, pork and lamb. Chicken was for posh folks, how times have changed.

Used to be bubble and squeak in the evening whilst watching Sunday Night at the London Palladium.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am having a lazy couple of hours sitting around browsing the Internet and landed on Picture the Past. I searched my favourite place "Gedling" and there have been so many additions since I last looke

I remember little 'Woolies' at the bottom of Hockley. It had very worn and uneven wooden floor boards and tripped over on them. I cried and had a bit of a tantrum with the pain but mam soon put a stop

Seagoon: ...according to the hairs on my wrist it's only half past ten.
Grytpype: (disbelief) The hairs on your wrist say half past ten?
Seagoon: Yes.
Grytpype: You must be mad.
Seagoon: Why?
Grytpype: The hairs on my wrist say eleven-thirty.
Moriarty: I can vouchsafe for that, he set them right by the hairs on Big Ben this morning!

and also :

"You rotten swines - you deaded me."

• 7 months later...

lunch box came to nottinham castle with nole gordon and tinger and tucker and auntie jean was her name morton mam took us but you couldnt see muchas so many people and it had been put below the railings at the front of the castle think we ended up having our picnic and then walked up to the arboritum for the afternoon then up shakespear st back via the victoria statin over the bridge onto huntington st for bus home.

• Upvote 1

re reading some of this post reminded me i was whatching a repete of heir hunters the other night and they were reserching family of fred the tramp who lived on one of the main islands in wolverhampton for some years bet carnie and chris will remember him he left over 100 ,ooo pounds money from his council pention he never touched in his bank account turned out he came from poland just after the war and that his fammily neices and nephews in poland were already in the progreess of claimming his money

Yes Babs, I think every one In Wolverhamton has seen Fred at sometime. It did look a strange sight to see his tent on the grass verge on the ring road, but we just got used to seeing him there. He used to sweep all the leaves and litter up, he used to stand and accept ciggy's and things that people passed him as they slowed up in traffic queues at the island. I did read his story in the local paper after he had passed away.

Bumped into Fred once or twice when I spent a year working in the office right next to where his tent was, when I used to go into a small Polish deli just round the corner. They used to give him food every day.

He was a bit of a cantankerous old bugger, and the story goes that he refused any help from the Social to re home, as he didn't want to be surrounded by walls - a result of his being imprisoned by the Nazis during the war.

• 1 month later...

Can any one remember having steak for tea in the 50/60s, I can only remember having steak when Berni Inns came in. When you

started work you had to work a whole year before you could have any holidays also you only got paid sick pay after you had been off sick for 3 days. I was an apprentice hairdresser we worked 9 00 till 6 00 Mon Tues and Wed Thurs /Fri 9 00 8 00 and

Saturday 8 00 till 1 00. I think this was 44 hours at age 15. Wages for a week at 15 £1 9s6d.

Can any one remember having steak for tea in the 50/60s, I can only remember having steak when Berni Inns came in.

Never for tea. I don't remember ever having steak at all until the mid-1960s when we would often have it for Sunday dinner as my mother said joints of beef were getting too expensive.

Never for tea. I don't remember ever having steak at all until the mid-1960s when we would often have it for Sunday dinner as my mother said joints of beef were getting too expensive.

Only remember the Sunday roasts and then cold cuts etc during the week.

HOWEVER.....Came to Oz in 64 and immediately introduced to steak on almost a daily basis. Beef was so cheap down here that butchers were virtually paying you to take it home!

Steaks were and still are a staple item on the pub menus, in cafes, roadhouses and restaurants...T-bone, rump, fillet. Steak sandwiches for lunch.

We still enjoy steak at least twice a week as an evening meal.

...and prawns....and crab.

The first year or so was just one eye-opening smorgasbord of low cost meats, fish, vegetables and fruit that had only been enjoyed on special occasions in the UK.

Think my first introduction to steak was at the Berni Inn in sherwood, by my wifes older brother as a birthday treat for my wife.

Used to love the seasoning they put on it, maybe a concoction of MSG and other nasties but it tasted great.

Then we progressed to the Savoy Hotel for their rump steak meal deal with prawn cocktail starter.

Gone off steak a bit now as like Trevor said its like everywhere here in oz so I now actually prefer seafood instead. Had half a kilo of nice tiger prawns yesterday for tea.

My other weakness is chilli mussels, the black variety not the greenlip NZ ones, as they are too big and tasteless.

I was once stationed with some navy personnel. They had a new commander and took him out for a meal. When asked how he would like his steak, he said, " Shave it's arse and take the saddle off". A man of great breeding!

The Berni Inns were our favorite "Steak Houses". We never failed to have a good Steak. I always wondered what happened to them.

Berni inn was the name of British restaurants established by Brothers Frank and Aldo Bern and was founded in 1955. The Berni inn chain was sold to Grand metropolitan in 1970, and then sold to white bread in 1995. By the late 1990s, the chain started losing money and Whitbread announced the closure of the chain, by converting many of the former premises into other Whitbread owned brands.