Bring back any memories?

Cliff Ton,

Thanks for finding the link, The Berni Inns were great places, we used the ones in Wolverhampton a lot when they were in business. When ever we fancy a Steak, one of the group we are with nearly always mentions the Berni Steaks.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am having a lazy couple of hours sitting around browsing the Internet and landed on Picture the Past. I searched my favourite place "Gedling" and there have been so many additions since I last looke

I remember little 'Woolies' at the bottom of Hockley. It had very worn and uneven wooden floor boards and tripped over on them. I cried and had a bit of a tantrum with the pain but mam soon put a stop

I remember mum doing braising steak in a pan, late 50's early 60's. It was OK till she started using a pressure cooker. That thing scared the crap out of me.

The steak used to come out like a shrivelled old face flannel.

I seem to remember going with mum & dad to somewhere like the Chateau when I was in my late teens, but I'm not sure.

In the mid 60's, a girl who had a flat in my mates house used to work at the Sawyers Arms. After closing, she'd do us loads of liquore coffees. Free.

Early 70's the Chateau was one of our favourite haunts. If you turned up just prior to closing time, you'd get extra salads, or extra apple pies. We'd probably drink in the pubs in Burton Joyce, then blast into town for a steak and more beer.

The Bernis were great, cheap and cheerful. Early 70's I was on fantastic money then so cost didn't matter.

• 6 months later...

Does anyone remember `Mad Ted' the barber at the bottom of Lotus St? The window was always full of cheap toys that you knew would break. Inside there were two chairs and Ted who had a permanent sniff. A short back and sides were all he knew, when he finished he applied so much Brylcream that if you combed your hair with the free plastic comb the teeth were clogged with excess Brylcream.

I just had a flashback when posting 'Westminster chimes' in the 'keep one, drop one' thread. Our doorbell in our childhood home was Westminster chimes, and had metal tubes hanging on the hall wall. Obviously something struck said tubes to make the tune when doorbell was pushed. I had completely forgotten about them. A far cry to today's doorbells.

• 2 weeks later...

Bump

As a kid, sometimes we had bread and if on fridays for tea.

We quite often had Bread and It anyday. I think it meant the same as your If.

I imagine it meant if we have got It. Then you can have It!

#105 katyjay. The Westminster chimes in our 'hallway' were made by dad. I think he got the plans out of Practical Mechanics magazine. I think I have the brass-tube chimes in my garage. Methinks that he made a set earlier, and gave them away.

• Upvote 1
  • 8 months later...

I am having a lazy couple of hours sitting around browsing the Internet and landed on Picture the Past. I searched my favourite place "Gedling" and there have been so many additions since I last looked. I have come over all nostalgic, looking at all of those places and images of my childhood.

This particular image of the entrance to Gedling Pit from opposite the Grey Goose, is probably uninteresting in its self to most people, but when I look at it, I see myself waiting there for my Dad to appear along the path. Coming home, probably from a double or more shift down the hole in the ground. Eyes all black with coal dust, Park Drive in hand, and a big smile on his face. Laughing and chatting with his mates. I see myself and siblings walking, holding mams hand on our way to the Pit Canteen for pie and chips. An occasional Friday treat. I see my self and friends standing there with our Guy, ready to shout "Penny for the guy" as the miners approached, hands digging in their pockets for their small change.

So you see, that dingy old side entrance on Lambley Lane/ Arnold Lane to Gedling Pit is rather special to me.NCCC002198.jpg

• Upvote 10

I remember all of the items on the list of the OP except ice trays. We did not have a fridge until the early seventies.

My favourite TV programmes as a child, which I watched at my grans as we did not have a TV, was Watch with Mother, Rag, tag & bobtail, Supercar & Fury.

We then got a TV and I loved Dr Who. On Saturdays & Sundays I would always make sure I was sat in front of the TV for Batman (Same bat time, same bat channel).

The Xmas edition of Ready, Steady, Go was a big thing for all the family.

I remember that New Years Eve TV was monopolised by Scottish shows - Andy Stewart and the like.

Sunday Evenings were The Black & White minstrel show or the Billy Cotton band show (Wakey, Wakey)

Michael, if you look at the picture, on the left hand side, you can just make out a car coming down Arnold lane. The entrance was right on the corner. The whole of the Pit area has been turned into a nature reserve or something like that, so I can't imagine that the entrance is still there. Just a memory and a photograph left (thanks to Reg Baker).

• Upvote 1

Bit late joining this topic, but I remember we used to play outside a certain neighbours house when we knew "Muffin The Mule" was on. Most times he would invite us in to watch it and his wife would give us a drink of lemonade. He was the only one in our street to have a T.V. at the time.

Looking at the aerial view, you can see that the Pit entrance in the first picture was no longer there. I expect it just got overgrown and closed up naturally. It looks as if the street light is still there on Arnold lane in both pictures, but the one by the Lambley Lane sign has gone.

Thanks CliffTon, It seems strange looking at that corner and the same one in my original PTP photo. The same place but look totally different. Gone but not forgotten.

Just noticed, There is a black car in my PTP photo and one in exactly the same place on your Map Post. lol

• 4 months later...

Gedling pit gate. Memories for me as well. My Dad worked there and i used to walk up with him to fetch his wages. Never had a meal there, just a giant jam tart, and a huge mug of tea.Walk back down bursting for a wee! Used to go swimming in pit top lake. We had a raft up there. Nearly got into trouble once diving in with all my clothes on, and had trouble getting back on the raft. I also had a packet of Park Drives in my shirt pocket. Had bought them for my sister in law who had supposed to have packed up. Dad used to sing take me back to the black hills as we walked up to the pit.Sitting in the class room watching the buckets tipping spoil on the slag heaps.The coal board had there own small tank engines shunting on there way up. [ Queeny ??} Not many years ago i went up on to pit top again to see a Rough -legged Buzzard.Through the telescope i could see the old classroom. Couldnt believe i wasnt in my chair, i never seemed to get any time off. Just down the road from the pit gates there was some Alms houses ,i was on my way to a friends house to play,and we ran behind a tractor pulling bits of hay off. My mate ran across the rest of the road, i followed, didnt make it, got hit by a car, broke my thigh. General Hospital, caught Chicken Pox there,got put in a isolation ward.Lad in the main ward used to cry all night, telephoney home, he never stopped drove you barmy.Oh and i had a cigarette tin in my back pocket which had pictures of warships in it. Never went in the Grey Goose. Was born born in Gedling on Main Road next to Leafs the butchers,can remember all the old shops,Chesterfield Arms, where i used to get abandoned in the Skittle Alley,and every hour or so get fed with a packet of Cheese and Onion crisps and a Lemonade. I seem to think a girl from our class at the Gedling school was a landlady there at some time, not sure about that though. As usual i am not on any thread, sorry Can you remember the Doll Hospital on the corner of Westdale. Proper steam rollers, chewing the bitchumen. The vicar cycling down Main Road with his hairy dog behind him. Anybody dropped off? I think i can remember most things about those days, but suffer from meeting more recent aquiantances and forgetting there names. Had trouble spelling then.Any thing else you want me to remember about that period just say.

• Upvote 3
  • 1 month later...