Bring back any memories?

Hey Girls, It looks like the old Whirlpools will need an airing. Pointy bosoms are back in fashion. Better sort out my tight sweaters in preparation. Whoohoo! Hope the moths haven't had a feast. :biggrin:

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am having a lazy couple of hours sitting around browsing the Internet and landed on Picture the Past. I searched my favourite place "Gedling" and there have been so many additions since I last looke

I remember little 'Woolies' at the bottom of Hockley. It had very worn and uneven wooden floor boards and tripped over on them. I cried and had a bit of a tantrum with the pain but mam soon put a stop

Hope the moths haven't had a feast.

Obviously not man made, you must be an M&S girl?

The bullet bra thing seems a bit, well, sexist to me as well as one sided. Is there nothing from the fifties or sixties we men can re-invent to project us in a different light?

• 3 weeks later...
On 31/12/2010 at 2:10 PM, katyjay said:

11. Metal ice trays with levers

12. Blue flashbulb

13. Cork popguns

14. Wash tub wringers

If you remembered 0-3 = Youre still young

If you remembered 3-6 = You are getting older

If you remembered 7-10 = Don't tell your age

If you remembered 11-14 = You're positively ancient!

11-14. Don't mind being ancient - dinosaur's were around for 60 million years and we still have birds today LOL.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Lots of memories. The arrangement of desks in the classroom. The chairs are  different, I remember wooden ones. The crate of milk bottles! At Portland they did not put straws in for us.  I hated school milk and my mum used to write a note each year saying I should not have it! It used to make me feel sick. Even now I do not have milk in tea or coffee. Not an allergy just general disgust! 

Likewise, I hated milk at school. Because of school milk, to this day I can't drink milk on its own, nor bear to look at it when it's being poured.  I'm only ok with milk if it's within something and I can't see the milk itself. 

11 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

Likewise, I hated milk at school. Because of school milk, to this day I can't drink milk on its own, nor bear to look at it when it's being poured.  I'm only ok with milk if it's within something and I can't see the milk itself. 

School milk was dreadful. By the time we had it at first break (playtime) it was tepid and tasted disgusting. It put me off drinking raw milk for life.

Hubbys family are builders and when they worked at  one of the farms in the area, the owners would give them fresh milk from the cow. My husband says it was very fatty, but he didn't mind it.

When he was young (Before I met him), the area around here was more countryfied and the A449 Stafford road was just a one lane road. The farmer used to deliver the milk  by cart, it was carried in churns and he would  measure it in a one pint ladle, leaving it in the pans my future mother in law left out front on the wall.

There is a farm quite close to us at Water Eaton that advertises in the lane 'Raw Milk for sale', but we haven't tried it yet. Not sure if we have to get it ourselves? :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Wen aworra lad in Comyn Street, the milk was delivered from the back of a pony and trap from the churn, ladled into your jug. The milkman was Mr Cope, lived at the top of Gt Freeman St.

The raw milk round here is from a DIY dispenser into a plastic container supplied as part of your purchase, that's better than straight from the cow as it is almost impossible to aim into a plastic bottle.

7 hours ago, philmayfield said:

School milk was dreadful. By the time we had it at first break (playtime) it was tepid and tasted disgusting. It put me off drinking raw milk for life.

My taste buds must be different to yours Phil as we both drank milk from the same crate at the same school and I loved it!

1 hour ago, NewBasfordlad said:

I am going to upset some folk, when shooting over the farm at Strelley I use to drink it fresh from the cow, still warm and creamy...

When some friends of mine went on holiday or to dog shows which they did frequently, I used to milk their 2 goats twice a day and bring the milk home for our use.  The milk was lovely as the goats had a controlled diet (no cabbages etc!)   My mum was  living with us at this particular point in our lives and she loved it too as she was brought up on a farm.  We had lots of rice puddings, custards and bowls of cereals, of course.  Our 4 cats and 2 dogs  also lapped it up as goat's milk didn't seem to upset their digestion.

I got quite expert at milking these two goats as they had been well trained to stand still (most of the time!) for the 15 minutes it took for each one.  The very odd time, one of them would have a tantrum and stick her foot in the bucket, so all that had to be poured down the sink, and a clean new bucket used.   What a waste!

I also milked some other friend's goats For ONE day only, but they were very difficult to control... it's a bit like badly behaved dogs, I think.... the owners don't train them properly.

3 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

You probably drank the bottle that I left as well!

Quite possibly, Phil!

When I took my first church it was out in the country.  First time we went to one of the homes we were served fresh cows milk.  Not wanting to offend a new family I gave it a try.  I was pleasantly surprised.  It tasted better than the pasteurized stuff in the stores.  Never did me any harm.

Commo, luckily I didn't have to milk the beast that could have disastrous, there was a stainless steel pipe from the milking parlour to the dairy where it spilled into to a large vat for cooling etc. We just had to hold a cup under the pipe and Bobs your auntie.

As an aside haven't they now changed their minds and are now saying dairy fats are good for you?

• 2 months later...
On 1/6/2018 at 2:35 AM, NewBasfordlad said:

As an aside haven't they now changed their minds and are now saying dairy fats are good for you

I think that you will find, it depends on who is getting the biggest subsidy and which branch of the medical they support! ' eggs are good, eggs are bad, milk is good, milk is bad, meat is good, meat is bad. Any pattern showing up yet?.

• Like 1