Bring back any memories?

Worked in that Coop Jem many times in the 90s........and back in the 60s do you recall Marsdens in that block could have been Farrands ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am having a lazy couple of hours sitting around browsing the Internet and landed on Picture the Past. I searched my favourite place "Gedling" and there have been so many additions since I last looke

I remember little 'Woolies' at the bottom of Hockley. It had very worn and uneven wooden floor boards and tripped over on them. I cried and had a bit of a tantrum with the pain but mam soon put a stop

• 1 month later...

Re Ian's post above, before Paul and I got married, the only NEW things we bought were two blankets, some bath towels, bedsheets and pillowcases - nearly everything else had been left in the house we bought, as the previous owners were emigrating.   We scrounged a few other bits and pieces from other sources like parents, and wedding presents covered everything else, although they probably weren't as lavish as presents given these days.   I never made a wedding present list with specific details like the design of the dinner plates etc, as we were just grateful for whatever we got.  

• Like 1

Does anyone still use a Filofax?

Not seen one for about 20 years or so, handy in their day but a little bit "Poncy" . Suppose no need for em nowadays with smartphones doing a multitude of tasks.

• Like 1

^^^^Yep every day at work I like hard copy then folk can't deny it was said. Like you say phones are great for something's, they can take photos on site and send them to me to help explain a situation or to help with pricing and sometimes they are kept for evidential purposes.

But I write their work load into their personal Filofax.

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, catfan said:

Does anyone still use a Filofax?

Not seen one for about 20 years or so, handy in their day but a little bit "Poncy" . Suppose no need for em nowadays with smartphones doing a multitude of tasks.

Remember walking from St.Pancras to Euston with 4 London Geezers all wearing Crombies and carrying a filofax,,for a meeting at an hotel near Euston station (about 1998) main man was a black Del-boy,followed by a Boycie  and a Mickey Pearce and , Rodney with me bringing up the rear, got to the hotel (just come to me,the Thistle) and black Del-boy, shoves a couple of notes in Commissioners top pocket,, allwite John ? see we ok for coffee and not disturbed my man,............just loved my days down there.......what characters       still in touch with a couple.....Dying breed......

• Like 2

Probably on the northbound Bournmouth - York / Newcastle, depending on the time of the year.

These were very popular engines on the Eastern Region, especially on NE / SW fitted  freights. Many seen at Vic were from York, and occasionally Heaton, and whenever one appeared at Annesley, it was invariably commandeered for a fill in turn, before it's trip back home. 

Beautiful looking engines too !

On June 9, 2018 at 1:26 PM, IAN123. said:

I remember the night so well, Reginald Bosanquet read out the newsflash-

That night was filled with mixed emotions..think i had just bought Animals by Pink Floyd and was digging that...John Peel was equally upset that night.

.images_4.jpg

I remember it well. Was working on some Texaco tankers in Swansea dry dock. If I’m not mixing things up it was a really hot summer and there was water rationing. I had to get up several times in the night at the hotel, check the water was on then run a bath so that when i got in from the shipyard that night I could get clean in stone cold water. Down in the hotel bar everybody was singing Elivis songs, all very sad. 

• Like 1
On 6/15/2018 at 5:24 PM, IAN123. said:

Went downhill at the end and split into a Chinese...recall hiring a motor from EuroDollar next door...talk about 3rd degree!

Ian 

Whats that a picture of?

• Like 2
53 minutes ago, IAN123. said:

The old cricket players..opposite from Ice Stadium...great Berni Inn at one time.

Panthers team always in there.

Phew, I thought for a minute it was the Royal Children

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

I was passing a small town-gas distribution compound 'other day. Fixed on the wooden gate was an old discoloured sign which read EAST MIDLANDS GAS BOARD. NOTTM 45555.

I guess that sign would stir some memories. Especially from the days of 5 digit phone numbers.

• Like 1

Do you remember the day the gas board came round and changed all the gas burners? We were all going to get cheap gas as I recall. Still waiting for it of course, and thanks to the labour government it's got VAT on it. Imagine the scale of that work, designing and making universal burners for every gas appliance that had ever been made, and sending men out to every gas customer in the country. I wonder how much that little exercise cost ?

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 8:09 PM, IAN123. said:

Spending money..and into Woolies!aEarly-_Pick-n-_Mix-counter-_Stafford-_Wo

Also add "Broken Biscuit's" can you remember the large chandelier lights  Woolworths used to have, eat your heart out Dell-boy.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, IAN123. said:

Ding Dong: The Avon Lady!007.jpgA flexi disc..remember those?..the ones from the NME are worth a few bob.This is advertising 'Elusive'...Herself did Avon for years..but it went to Poland from here several years ago.

The Beatles Christmas fan club flexis are worth good money too Ian.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jonab said:

Plus hot, roasted, salted peanuts and cashews dispensed from rather strange shaped glass jars with a metering device at the bottom.

I remember the hot nuts from Woolies. My recollection is of the lady in a white cotton overall scooping them up with a small metal scoop. The glass cabinets they were contained in were always smeared with the grease from the nuts.

The old Woolies stores had wooden floorboards and in the 50s at the front of the store they were the first to sell whippy ice cream. The ice cream machines were behind a barrier consisting of a tubular chrome bar.

• Like 1

Woolworths on Radford Road was a frequent port of call in my childhood. If I close my eyes, I can mentally walk round it now.

The wooden counters with their glass inserts were too high for me to see over but I loved the smells, especially of the biscuit counter!  A couple of weeks before Christmas...not mid way through August....cards and decorations would appear. I recall vividly, choosing good quality cards liberally sprinkled with glitter, for one halfpenny each! Mum would take me to choose them after she collected me from Berridge Infants. Remember being so excited, walking through the dark, cold streets to choose my Christmas cards, aged 5!  Precious memories.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I remember little 'Woolies' at the bottom of Hockley. It had very worn and uneven wooden floor boards and tripped over on them. I cried and had a bit of a tantrum with the pain but mam soon put a stop to that. Up came the leg of my short trousers and two hand prints quickly appeared on my thigh - that's for showing me up she said. Only when we were back home did she find the splinter in my knee. A kiss, a cuddle and a big jam sandwich soon made things right.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2