Bring back any memories?

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am having a lazy couple of hours sitting around browsing the Internet and landed on Picture the Past. I searched my favourite place "Gedling" and there have been so many additions since I last looke

I remember little 'Woolies' at the bottom of Hockley. It had very worn and uneven wooden floor boards and tripped over on them. I cried and had a bit of a tantrum with the pain but mam soon put a stop

My very first day at work was a new year's day, so I know it wasn't a holiday in 1962. I don't recall anyone thinking they were being hard done by either, it was just a normal working day.

Firbeck, did your parent's telly receipt say how much it was? TVs were expensive compared to the average wage in those days, quite a luxury item. We always rented ours, from Redifusion.

We rented ours from Wigfalls. Grandparents bought theirs in 1952. Twelve inch Ecko. I think they paid the best part of 100 pounds. Pretty serious money in those days.

Same with video recorders in their early days, the old "piano key" vcr was over £600

Hi Eileeen.

I worked for the EMEB in the mid 60s. Started out at Talbot street. Later moved out to Bilboro. Were you at either place?

Anyone else on here ex EMEB? Once heard my buddy at the time telling a customer it stood for "Eight men, Eighty bosses." or Eat More Eggs and Bacon. Whichever you preferred.

Morning Loppy, I was at Mapperley Hall and then Foxhall Lodge from 1960 to 1966.

Pizzas were not delivered to our home... But milk was.

We still have our milk delivered every morning and its still in glass bottles

Morning Loppy, I was at Mapperley Hall and then Foxhall Lodge from 1960 to 1966.

They must have been administration type places. I wasn't familiar with either one. We were dispatched from Talbot street and later Bilboro to do installations, service calls etc. There were some good workmates there. I was there until I emigrated in 1970.

They must have been administration type places.

Yes - just office blocks really - Mapperley Hall was the Board HQ and Foxhall Lodge was the Chief Accountant`s dept.

Had some great evenings at the EMEB Social Club in West Bridgford. Did you ever go there?

Firbeck, did your parent's telly receipt say how much it was? TVs were expensive compared to the average wage in those days, quite a luxury item. We always rented ours, from Redifusion.

My brothers got the receipt, he's making a family scrapbook up of all this amazing stuff that we found. I have a feeling that it was £250, but of course paid for with a down payment, then 'On the Knocker' at so much a week, I'll try and find the details. It was a posh affair in a cabinet, walnut veneer, I recall that the screen was quite big for the time. We had a big matching radio underneath it, all Grecian columns and stuff, it caught fire once and had to be extinguished with a bucket of water, a few valves were replaced and off it went as if nothing had happened. When ITV came out, a large control box was put on the side of the telly by TV engineers in order to change the frequency, it was a pain in the bum to use, like a combination safe, especially when I came home from junior school on a monday afternoon and wanted to watch 'Popeye'.

The later telly was rented from Redifusion, it had a switch on the top to go from 405 to 625 lines, unfortunately, Redifusion involved having one of those overhead lines in and a big black switch on the wall that controlled the radio as well. When Radio One first appeared in 1967, Redifusion would have nothing to do with it, my brother built a hi-fi with a radio in it and we used to use that instead, I still have the working stereo 'Eagle' amp that went with it, purchased via Mr Kirton, our keen metalwork teacher at school.

Thanks for that Firbeck. I remember going to an uncle and aunt's house and they had a device over the small screen of their telly. I think it was magnifying the screen to make the picture bigger. not sure.

I still have the working stereo 'Eagle' amp that went with it, purchased via Mr Kirton, our keen metalwork teacher at school.

You know, that's real interesting, Firbeck. We had a Mr. Kirton as a metalwork and math teacher at Chandos school in the mid 50s. I bet it might have been the same guy. He seemed a genuinely decent helpful sort of man and gave me a lot of help in math. He left a year or so after I got to that school probably moved on to your school?

They must have been administration type places.

Yes - just office blocks really - Mapperley Hall was the Board HQ and Foxhall Lodge was the Chief Accountant`s dept.

Had some great evenings at the EMEB Social Club in West Bridgford. Did you ever go there?

Hi Eileen.

Didn't even know the EMEB had a social club. Guess I just didn't move in the right circles. :mellow:

• 7 months later...

Back then as a littlie, we had two Grans. Top Gran and bottom Gran, so named because we went up the street to get to top Gran who lived off St Annes Well Road, and bottom Gran who lived on Brierley Street, hence a walk down the street. Top Gran was the first to get a telly. The screen couldn't have been more than six inches across, but there was a large magnifying glass mounted in a stand that stood in front of the screen. When we got a telly used to dash home from school at lunch to watch Emergency Ward 10. Also remember Dixon of Dock Green - "evening all".

Long time, no see, Alison, welcome back. We watched a movie the other week called The Dish. Not bad at all. One of the characters looked very familiar so we watched the credits to see who it was, and it was Charles Tingwell, who used to play a doctor in Emergency Ward 10. The Dish was an aussie film.

I remember i had to suffer Mrs Dales Diary every morning at work

Feeding my ginger beer plant , Drinking vinagar, Condensed milk sambos

Airtex underpants that felt like you had ants in your pants at least to me it think i was allergic to them

Rollerskates with a key to tighten the clamps that would eventually rip the sole off your shoes i had lots of talking shoes !rotfl!

My first telly i bought had a cash slot meter on the back from Owin Alex

Long time, no see, Alison, welcome back. We watched a movie the other week called The Dish. Not bad at all. One of the characters looked very familiar so we watched the credits to see who it was, and it was Charles Tingwell, who used to play a doctor in Emergency Ward 10. The Dish was an aussie film.

We saw a trailer for this film on another video we had rented (That gives you an idea as to how long ago this took place !!) and it seemed very funny, so we rushed out to rent it too !! We decided that they had taken ALL the funny bits and put them into the 30 second trailer!!

Got to say the funniest bit was where the town is welcoming the American dignitaries near the end and ...... "Ladies and gentlemen , distinguished guests please remain upstanding for the national anthem of the United States of America" and the town band strikes up with............

Hi Eileeen.

I worked for the EMEB in the mid 60s. Started out at Talbot street. Later moved out to Bilboro. Were you at either place?

Anyone else on here ex EMEB? Once heard my buddy at the time telling a customer it stood for "Eight men, Eighty bosses." or Eat More Eggs and Bacon. Whichever you preferred.

My dad worked at Talbot street he used to wave to me and mum when we went shopping at the Co-op

His name was Douglas Eric Pendleton (known as Eric)

Another oldie just read through the thread. I remember everything in the list in the first post!

I believe it was only the Meadows that suffered DC electricity, certainly in my part of Bulwell it was AC we had two meters one taking shillings for the "power" the other taking pennies for the lights. The meter reader came and emptied them on the kitchen table he made piles and rolled them up in strong paper tucking in the ends so he ended up with a cylinder of shillings and another of pennies.

When I was very young the milk delivered daily was not in bottles it was ladled out of small churns and tipped into jugs. The first milk bottles I remember were at school they had wide necks with a circular cardbord cap which snapped into grooves inside the neck with a perforated bit to push a straw through.

As well as the milk man and the bread man there was the greengrocer with his horse and cart. I also remember being sent over to the corner shop for whatever Mum had run out of, sometimes two, three or even four times in a day! Oh and there was the coalman as well.

We had DC on Nottingham Road New Basford till I think 1958, also on Ford Street, quite certain of that as a mate who lived there had a "Rotary Converter" a DC mains electric motor driving a 12 volt DC generator to run his train set, mind you same era just further up Nottm Rd there was a house just below Sandon Street with gas lighting!

Hi Bulwell Brian and others , Does anyone remember " Little Eric " I believe its o.k to call him a Dwarf. He used to deliver Firewood, and he Chopped his wood at the back of the Oxford Pub. Also Albert Brown, the " Gay " man who wore Lipstick and always had a Flower in his Lapel.---- We had Gas when we moved to Bannerman Rd in 1936 !!! . I can remember being sent to Robinsons Shop on the Vale to get the " Mantles ", and get the Low Voltage Accumulator for the Radio Charged up for 2p, and Valves for the Radio. Mr Robinson had a square show Cabinet at the front of the shop and we would love to press our noses and see what was on display " Coombes " the shoe repair shop on the Vale had an enamelled sign outside the shop listing a load of Branches of the Business and we would stand with our backs to the sign and see to what Town we had grown to !!!. We would sometimes buy a " Bread Cob " for a halfpenny on the way to school. Mr Lymn had a Drapers shop at the bottom of Henrietta St and I remember going in with my Mother and seeing the showcards for " Balito " Stockings " Nearby was " Taylors " Newsagent , and Cigarettes were in short supply and he would bend down and get you some if you were a regular customer

Yes Danny I remember Mr & Mrs Lymn at the shop on the corner and Taylors the Newsagent just on Henrietta Street, there was the greengrocers next to Lymn's whose name I cannot recollect, then on Highbury Road the other way was May Clark's sweet shop, when I was a young child we called her "Goody Shop May". Further along was Turners chemists. You must be older than me I cannot remember 1936 and the only gas mantles I remember were in caravans at Skegness.

Not Bulwell, but the house my grandmother lived in had gas lights until she moved out in 1964! That was in Heanor (Ray Street). The house had one electric outlet in the "kitchen" and still shared an outhouse with the house next door.