Does anyone remember an army surplus shop down the old Arkwright street, called Anglo American, they were near an old 2nd hand music shop with old 78s and windup gramaphones in the window, and when arkwright street closed they moved to Radford road I think...

I was a long haired hippy in the 60s and 70s and I used to by coats and bags from them.

You don't mean the one near Kirke-White Street on the west side of Arkwright street do you???

If that is the one I'm thinking of, that's where I bought my Elora half inch drive sockets from, both whitworth and AF, and still have them some 40 plus years later.

Hello & Welcome,

I remember that shop near the Bridgeway Hall.

In 1968 myself and a Friend John Vincent bought two womens double breasted great coats.

Ten bob each, and walked down arkwright street with the dragging along the ground behind us.

I cut mine shorter and stitched up the bottom.

We were some of the first to wear the new fashion, judging by the looks we got!

That's the place I was on about, I think it's full name was Anglo American surplus. I got a greatcoat from them in about 1970, if yours was like mine it never wore out, and was still hanging in a nail in my shed in the 1990's when I gave it to the kids to put on the guy.

there was two record shops the 2nd hand one and Selecta Disc a good record shop.

If that is the one I'm thinking of, that's where I bought my Elora half inch drive sockets from, both whitworth and AF, and still have them some 40 plus years later.

recall the shop, but never went in, in late 1970's there used to be a "dress agency" on arkwright street, people took stuff in and they sold it for a fee, near the station, recall wife getting vintage stuff there, then suddenly it shut without warning, loads of peoples stuff behind the locked doors for months!

Not quite army, but does anyone remember the Bath Street Surplus Store? My dad loved to wander the aisles there, took me many a time when I was a kid. It was like Aladdin's Cave if I remember rightly.

Not quite army, but does anyone remember the Bath Street Surplus Store? My dad loved to wander the aisles there, took me many a time when I was a kid. It was like Aladdin's Cave if I remember rightly.

!englandflag! I remember it well, me mam would take me around it when we'd been to Sneinton market............that was some market!! I remember a stall that sold 2nd hand spec's (also one selling false teeth, I wonder where they came from, Wilford Hill perhaps!!), me mam would try on lots of pairs, but usually ended up buying a pair that looked like Dame Edna's, very fashionable/sophisticated in the late fifties..............she had the finest collection of 2nd hand spec's in Minver Crescent, if not the world!! !rotfl!

Bath Street Surplus Shop was a Pownall shop. Bought a kitchen wall cabinet from there once. It got overloaded and all the crockery spilled onto the floor when the top screws came out. I was trying to hold it up as the pots and pans were bouncing off my head.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Trafalgar,

"Is my memory serving me corectly? Was Bath Street Surplus Stores run by the Pownall Family of Snienton. I think they also had a scrapyard on Manvers Street?"

The Pownall Army Surplus shop was on Southwell Street, at the junction with Manvers Street - The Shop on Bath street sold Surplus furniture also pots and pns etc - Not army surplus.

Cheers

DCGA