Nottm Children's Home Skegness

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Until I joined Nottstalgia several years ago I’d never heard of this Skegness place, nor Pinewood.   The reason being, I suppose, I was brought up in a working class household with 2 very loving paren

Whilst visiting Skeg today we had a wander down Roseberry Avenue. The old place has changer a bit but the main structure is the same, As Davep1549 says now council offices. This was never there.

Similar to me, Lizzie.   I know I was fortunate to be brought up by 2 loving parents - the only difference was that we DID have a car as my dad worked for the Ministry of Food  in the forties and then

Also very decent & friendly staff working there too Ian.

What struck me as surreal was the fact that not many of the workers there had been born when I was last there 55+ years ago  !

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

139 Catfan. 

That 4'th photo down would have been taken from around where my my bed was, (4'th bed along from the door bottom bunk, my No was B8) still have shivers when I think of the place. I've lived in some right grotty places since: Drafty & freezing army nissen huts on many occasions; but nowt as ghastly as that horrible place. Thanks for photo's CF..

• Upvote 1

I was at Skegness girls home in the 50,? and at the time it was the Skegness Carnival week, the home had two open lorries which had to join the parade, we had a beauty queen and attendants, and other girls in fancy dress (can't remember what kind of fancy dress) but there were two sister's who had very bushy hair and they dressed them as Adam and Eve using large  leaves to cover their bits with a vest to cover the top half. The problem was that it was a freezing cold day, I felt very sorry for the two girls.

• 8 months later...

Loved finding this group while doing a bit of nosing round on the internet. Visited Skeg for the first time in at least 30 years recently. My other half took me to see the place where his parents ran a b&b in the 60s/70s. Turned out it was on Clifton Grove so got the story of the home on Roseberry which I looked up and that's how I found this forum. Would love to see the photos from then, as part of the site is a Mormon church now. 

Not surprised Nottingham City Council did not want to let any info out about the goings on there. Most (possibly ALL) of their children's homes are being investigated now for abuse, this one wouldn't have been any different I imagine. It certainly doesn't sound it. 

Anyone who did suffer abuse and has carried it with them throughout their adult life should make sure to report it now, to the IICSA enquiry. 

A few interior photo'staken a couple of years ago. Now not a children's home but has something to do with children & parents, (parental access) etc.

Much more friendly & children focussed than when I spent time there as a child, last time 55 years ago.

P1030198_zpsvf9dqsm9.jpg

P1030199_zps53nrfbef.jpg

P1030202_zps941fuwp7.jpg

Office area, was the original "Back Door" entrance where new arrivals would queue.

P1030205_zpsclnl0xcj.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Yes, I think that it is called something like that now Jill, me & Mrs C turned up quite early in the morning & the staff on hearing about my memories there were only too kind in inviting us i for the guided tour before any parents or children arrived, they had only a brief idea of the sites former use & were quite surprised to have an "old boy" visiting.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2
  • 2 months later...

we went there in the late 50s after my dad died, me and my sister ran away, the police found us on the beach, I remember have a uniform on and marching over to the church on Sunday.tried to find the place when on a visit to skeggie many years ago but since found out it was pulled down

• 9 months later...

Until I joined Nottstalgia several years ago I’d never heard of this Skegness place, nor Pinewood.   The reason being, I suppose, I was brought up in a working class household with 2 very loving parents who worked extremely hard, didn’t go out drinking, didn’t own a car, washing machine, refrigerator until the late 60s and they put their children first. Every year without fail they took us to the east coast for a week,   I had the utmost respect for my Mum and Dad, they did their very best for my brother and I.   

Today is the 30th Anniversary of my Mum’s death (at only 64 years of age)  I think about her every single day, couldn’t have wished for a better friend.   

• Like 10
  • Upvote 1

Similar to me, Lizzie.   I know I was fortunate to be brought up by 2 loving parents - the only difference was that we DID have a car as my dad worked for the Ministry of Food  in the forties and then as a travelling salesman in the fifties/very early sixties.    We certainly weren't rich in a material sense and I never even asked if I could go on any big school trips as I know there wasn't 't the money to pay for things like that.  My mum was amazing as she fed and clothed us with great imagination.   My few clothes were made by her well into my teens.   

They were very careful with money because they had to be... I remember the happiness I felt when I got my first pay packet and was able to give my mum some.of it.  

I still think of my mum every day, too, and SO wish she'd been able to meet her great grandchildren.. she would have loved them so much (as she did all children she met)

Even though my childhood was happy,  I do know, and have had dealings with, deprived children, as we fostered 3-4 damaged teenagers over several years, so I do understand what difficulties they have been through and the effect it has had on their lives..

Although  I may not have had the childhood experiences of some on here, does it make me a 'snowflake' because I want to do all I can to break the cycle?  (of inadequate parents bringing up deprived children)

As I've said before, I also like hugging trees occasionally  (but I've never understood why this has anything to do with anything!!).   

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Sadly my early life was the opposite to Lizzie's & Margie's in many respects. Certainly not a loving home life at all. BUT I have no problem with anyone who had a good childhood, I'm more than happy for them. The truth is we cannot choose our parents, It's a biological lottery if you like. I cannot / don't want to go in to too many personal details on here or any other public forum. That is why I get so annoyed when on a almost daily basis see parents who should never have been allowed to have children in the first place, hence my obvious anger towards LGBT weirdo's who are happy to poison the minds of young children.Also some  "snowflakes" who sit back & think what a wonderful diverse society we live in today. Child cruelty is another of my pet hates too.Been there, had some & have the tee shirt as well.

• Like 7
  • 1 year later...

I have very little memories of childhood from about the age of 5 to about 15. However in the past few days I have started to remember little bits( I have a mental health condition which doesn't help) I seem to remember going to a childrens home in skegness not sure how old I was but if I'm remembering right the building was yellow? It had separate dorms for boys & girls. It was a very strict place not sure how long I was there for though. Does this sound familiar to anyone?? Could it be Roseberry house??

• Like 1

I wish I could but Photo bucket has swallowed my hosted photographs sadly. 

But no worries I will be on holiday in Skeg in a couple of weeks & will go & take some more photographs. 

When you were there the home was amalgamet with the girls home & I think the holiday period was reduced from 3 to 2 weeks duration. 

I went there in the late 50s early 60s.

• Like 1

I'm not entirely sure to be honest. I have very little memories of childhood from the age of 5 years. I was born in Feb 1970 so may have been around 75 onwards??

For some strange reason I have started to remember bits of my childhood like this. I have no idea what has triggered it off as before a few days ago I had no knowledge of this place. I didn't even know what it was called until I googled " childrens homes in skegness"  just as an afterthought my name then was Andrew Evan's but I've since changed my name via deedpoll

I believe the Nottingham Children's Home on Roseberry Avenue was the only children's home in Skegness at the time. 

Don't knock yourself out over it Patrick the place is no more now a LCC place for kids to meet estranged parents of sorts. 

Roseberry House is just a vague distant memory to many of us & best left there. Look to the future. 

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

At school there were four of us and we all wanted to go to The Poor Girls Holiday Home at Skegness. The thing was we all thought it would be an adventure and it was!!!

Sunday you had to go to church which the Church we went to is still there, you had to have on a Blue or Grey Blazer with a Girls holiday home badge on, also your skirt had to match your Blazer, i can remember at the time i had long hair, so it was tied up with a ribbon in a bow.

You slept in a dorm and at the end of the dorm there were two guz un der's just in case you had to go in the night, now this was ok but the guz under's were the metal type so if you had to go !!! Well you can just can not have a wee on the quite  the sound it made was so quite until that railway horse started then??  

Well non of the famous four liked  the home so while we all played on the swings we planned an escape. Never did work though.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1