Nottm Children's Home Skegness

Carrying on from the Pipewood thread http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=23&pid=74&st=0entry74

Does anyone remember the holiday home @ Skeggy ?

I went there about four times 59-63 ish. This place was were deprived kids & went for three weeks at a time. The boys home was on Roseberry Avenue can't remember where the girls place was.

A medical exam was taken @ a place on Chaucer St on the Thurs & if passed fit departed Shelton St school the following Tues morning for three weeks.

The regime there was very strict, I was always glad to get home !

Regular marches to Gibralter Point was a usual thing.

Anyone go ????

• Like 1
  • Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Until I joined Nottstalgia several years ago I’d never heard of this Skegness place, nor Pinewood.   The reason being, I suppose, I was brought up in a working class household with 2 very loving paren

Whilst visiting Skeg today we had a wander down Roseberry Avenue. The old place has changer a bit but the main structure is the same, As Davep1549 says now council offices. This was never there.

Similar to me, Lizzie.   I know I was fortunate to be brought up by 2 loving parents - the only difference was that we DID have a car as my dad worked for the Ministry of Food  in the forties and then

This place doesn't sound much of a holiday for kids, if they couldn't wait to get home. The authorities should have been ashamed of themselves.

This place doesn't sound much of a holiday for kids, if they couldn't wait to get home. The authorities should have been ashamed of themselves.

Always glad to get home, BUT we were well fed for three weeks, never went to bed hungry, so that was a plus side to it !

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...

Would have been there circa 1955. Have distinct memories of being marched along the front in a howling gale, with waves beating over the railings along the beach side of the "Esplanade". Also remember the food was good, and plentiful, which was something for a kid from the Medders.

• 4 months later...

Carrying on from the Pipewood thread http://nottstalgia.c...4&st=0

I went there about four times 59-63 ish. This place was were deprived kids & went for three weeks at a time. The boys home was on Roseberry Avenue can't remember where the girls place was.

A medical exam was taken @ a place on Chaucer St on the Thurs & if passed fit departed Shelton St school the following Tues morning for three weeks.

Anyone go ????

I only went to Skeggy with my foster parents, got a monkey on a stick and a good hiding and told to enjoy

myself,otherwise i would be sent back to Hartly Rd childerens home. I did attend Shelton St school though

My form teacher was Mr Spungin and the music teacher was Mr Key smile2 . Brings back memories or

or ???

• 5 months later...

Two sisters, a brother and I went on this 'three week holiday'. I remember having to line up in order of height to be issued a number. I was Red 2. I think there were four coloured groups with ten lads in each, so 40 of us in all. One big dorm, communal showers, no shampoo, just soap, having to participate in boxing, being 'marched' down to the beach, being admonished for deciding to wear a different jumper without seeking permission, waiting for the weekly parcel from Mam with goodies (don't recall content, probably chocolate and comics), being led to believe we were going to see Bob Monkhouse when it turned out to be Donald Peers (who?). I think we bumped into the girls' troup and saw our sisters at least once but as has been said, they were interned somewhere else in Skeggy. Mr Nicholls sounds familiar and there was a Mr or Miss Towel.

It was certainly an experience. I don't think I would have wished it on others but I guess the council education dept. meant well. Happy days.

• Upvote 2

I also remember another place where kids were sent from deprived area's it was in Charnwood forest near Woodhouse Eaves, I was much younger when I went there and all I remember was the terrible feeling of home sickness shared by all the kids. The councils meant well but its obvious from all the posts that at that age no one enjoyed being away from home and family regardless of where and how they lived.

• 5 months later...

Carrying on from the Pipewood thread http://nottstalgia.c...4&st=0

Anyone go ????

hi catfan

mayr 1947 here i can remember skegness holiday quite well there were 4 of us went from our class my self/ w husband/ p johnson/ and d plum. we used to plan how we would escape we all hated it. can you remember going to bed you had a cup of coco and the beds were in a long dormatiy at the very end near the door were two gus'unders so if you got out of bed in the night every one could hear you as they were made of metal.

• 2 weeks later...

piggy sez the children from nazareth house used to go to a big house near the boating lake at mablethorpe for there summer holidays his dad used to drive the coach and he and his dad would stay in one of the local b and bs for the week and have a hoilday themselfs.

• 1 month later...

Hi, Just read the above having just posted my memories on Pipewood Camp, I also went to Skegness before Pipewood and I would have been about 8 years old some 66 years ago. I enjoyed it, my first time away from home.

At the time i was going to Forsters Street Junior School in Radford.

Mike

• 1 month later...

I too remember the Skeggy children,s home. My brother Alan, and myself went twice. About '64 & '65.

Personally, I loved it there. Apart from the liquidised carbolic soap that was used as shampoo. That REALLY stung the eyes.

During the first visit, I took part in a 'shadow play'. (A back lit sheet) I was supposedly a patient having an operation. During which, strange objects were removed from my stomach, to comic effect.

At one point I was to wake from the anesthetic and be clonked over the head with a wooden mallet. To ensure I was not hurt, I had to wear an old tin, 'Air Raid Warden,s' helmet.

Unfortunately, there was a rivet protruding from the inner webbing liner, that cut my head open.

I still have the scar to this day. And it still makes me smile at the memory.

At the the following year, the girls came over for some kind of sports/fun day just before the 'holiday' was over.

One of which became my sweetheart on the return to Nottingham.

As I say. I loved it. I guess homelife must have been grimmer than I thought.

• Upvote 1
  • 5 months later...

Reading some of the posts here I wonder if I went to the same place! The Nottingham Girls Home was on Brunswick Drive, Skegness......I went for 3 weeks (from Douglas School) around '53 or '54 and then I stayed on another 3 weeks 'cos I loved it so much. I went to a school on Huntingdon Street (just up from the old Central Market) for the health check. ..perhaps the lads went elsewhere.

In charge of the home there was a Matron, (wore full nurses uniform) and some 'nurses' and lots of free range chickens ...one I took care of as it had arthritis! We went over to the Boys Home once a week for Sunshine Corner....singing and games etc...Mr Ellis was in charge with his wife. i used to have a lovely photo of a group of girls and Mr Ellis on the pier...sadly lost!

I was there at Easter time and we were donated the biggest thick chocolate Easter egg decorated in iced roses... a work of art...it was broken up and shared out.....it lasted for quite some time!

I remember the uniform we wore for church trips on Sundays...beige coats with brown velvet collars. I too loved the cocoa and the bread and dripping for supper.

All in all, it was a pleasant episode in my young life. Thanks for bringing all this back to me!!

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...

I remember going to the nott,m holiday home in rosenby Skegness ,it was about 1956. I have never been so unhappy in my live, it was for 3 weeks ,it felt like 3 years can,t remember the good times there cus there were not any,,just remember the beatings and the cold showers every morning, you did not come out of the showers until you were told it could last for 20 mins!!. there was one little boy called ted ,poor lad, he used to wet the bed every night, he was about 5or6years old and the guy in charge he was a real understanding man, and I use the word man cus I can,t write down the word that fits him,, he used to hit this lad with a piece of heavy wood every time he wet the bed ,I will never for get that little boys cries!! the big b------ seemed to like doing it. I got a beating with said wood for picking some blackberries .The big swine was thieving some of the postal orders that parents had sent their kids. I almost choked to death on a fish bone!! and when I got home I was off school for about 6/7 weeks because I had open soars on my backside which I got of the toilet seats .My parents were not to know what was going off neither did any of the other parents. There was about 20 or 30 of us and we were al scared stiff What an awful awful place. I was talking to my mam about it some years later ,, it turns out he was kiddy fidleling too. the big --------

• Upvote 2