Was there another train station in Nottingham as well as Victoria and Midland? Have just read this and looks like the Victoria Station 'took it over?'

"The London & North Western Railway offers facilities for visitors coming from Northampton and certain other stations on that Company's lines. The Nottingham terminus is the old Great Northern Station, which was practically vacated when the Victoria Station was opened (1900) for the joint use of the Great Northern and Great Central Companies."

There was another "companies" station (though goods only) The London North Western Station on Manvers Street, guess the 3 Nottingham Suburban ones could maybe classed thus also? Basford and Bulwell had at one time 7 stations with either one or the other of those place names in their title and depending on where you termed the Nottingham city boundary must have been over 20 local stations within it?

18 - on the former Great Central north to south

Bulwell Hall Halt, Bulwell Common, New Basford, Carrington, Victoria, Arkwright Street

On the former Great Northern (inc the Nottingham Suburban Rly)

London Road Low Level, London Road High Level, Thorneywood, St Anns Well, Sherwood, Basford & Bulwell (later Basford North), Bulwell Forest

On the Midland route to Mansfield at the Midland Station, Lenton, Radford, Basford (Vernon) and Bulwell Market

Was there another train station in Nottingham as well as Victoria and Midland?

Sorry to be pedantic, but the correct term is 'railway station', this misuse of the term is taking over and even being used, to my disgust, on BBC news programmes, lets get back to proper English and not Americanisms please or we'll all be doomed to using the word 'Soccer' instead of football, as well.

• Upvote 1

know what you mean, train bridge, train viaduct, train tunnel don't sound right, however neither does railway driver railway whistle or railway set, then again I can't relate "the tin boxes" now running (yes I know more powerful, more economical etc etc) or the "bus stop" built then destroyed at Bulwell Robin Hood Line as part of a railway! lol

It's "Railroad Station" over here....

• 6 months later...

The old GNR station, London Road Low Level ceased to be used by the GNR as a passenger station when the high level station and Victoria were opened. It continued to be used by the LNWR later LMS for passenger trains from I think Northampton which came by the GNR/LNWR joint line.

It was used by the British Forces Post Office during the second WW when all forces mail was dealt with in Nottingham.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

There was:

Nottingham Victoria, Nottingham Midland, Nottingham London Road High Level, Nottingham London Road Low Level and Nottingham Arkwright Street. There was another station on Carrington Street, which was the predesessor to the midland station. and as so only last around 10 years before demolition aroind 1869ish. That is now the site of the magistrate courts i believe, and The two gatepost are from when the station was built.

That original Midland Station was a terminus (dead end) with 2 platforms and 4 lines into it. In 1846 a junction was added before the station to Lincoln but any through train from say Derby to Lincoln calling at Nottingham would have to go into the station then back out past said junction then after points changed continue on the new line. A "Lincoln platform" was added so trains could run through but this only lasted 2 years before a new Station was opened on the then new "Station Road" on May 22nd 1848, the original station closed on that date but was later reopened as a goods depot. The modern frontage on Carrington Street with clock tower, street level booking hall etc and new platforms etc which remains virtually the same was built 1903/1904 and opened Jan 17th 1904.

The modern frontage on Carrington Street with clock tower, street level booking hall etc and new platforms etc which remains virtually the same was built 1903/1904 and opened Jan 17th 1904.

And don't forget that prior to the modern frontage, the entrance to the station was down the side on Station Street, roughly opposite where the Capitol One building is now.

• 4 months later...

The old GNR station, London Road Low Level ceased to be used by the GNR as a passenger station when the high level station and Victoria were opened. It continued to be used by the LNWR later LMS for passenger trains from I think Northampton which came by the GNR/LNWR joint line.

It was used by the British Forces Post Office during the second WW when all forces mail was dealt with in Nottingham.

The LMS used Victoria Station from about 1944 & B.R.(Midland Reigeon) until the L&NWR/GNR joint closed to passenger traffic in 1951?

The LMS used Victoria Station from about 1944 & B.R.(Midland Reigeon) until the L&NWR/GNR joint closed to passenger traffic in 1951?

Baffled me too. I can't work out what it means, can you explain? :unsure:

Baffled me too. I can't work out what it means, can you explain? :unsure:

The LNWR then the LMS(from 1923) had "running rites" from Saxondale Junction to the GNR station on London Road. and it was origanally intended for the LNWR to also to use Victoria Station for some reason they did not take up the option.

I will have to read up the date the LMS actually started running into the Vic.

I have a picture of a LMS 2P(4-4-0) on a Northampton train in the Vic dated 1944.

A point of interest tht GNR origanally wanted to build it's main loco shed in Nottingham somewhere near to Trent Lane Junction but this did not hapen & Colwick was chosen instead.

There was a small engine shed,coal stage & turn table at the "Low level station" till the time of the first world war.

I suspect it was the second world war that moved the LMS trains into Vic. Someone has already posted that London Road Low Level was used for British Forces mail, and in those days the Ministry of War Transport would have simply ordered (mere) passenger traffic to be moved.

Just read up(a bit)

The services to Northampton (5 a day) were transfered to the "Vic" in 1944.

For info "Railways in and around Nottingham" By V. Forster & W Taylor.ISBN 1-870119-13-4 (pub 1991)

This book has recently been up dated & reprinted By Book Law & is available from their shop on Carlton Hill.

Just read up(a bit)

The services to Northampton (5 a day) were transfered to the "Vic" in 1944.

For info "Railways in and around Nottingham" By V. Forster & W Taylor.ISBN 1-870119-13-4 (pub 1991)

This book has recently been up dated & repronted By Book Law & is available from their shop on Carlton Hill.

As London Road(L.L.) had 7 platforms I don't think the forces mail trains were used as a excuse to move the departures to Victoria. And no mention of this is in my book.

I think the trains were moved on a cost basis.