With thanks to www.policeoracle.com

2005-08-24T174714Z_01_HO457350_RTRUKOP_1_PICTURE0.jpg

As an encounter, it was the criminal world's equivalent of Stanley finding Livingstone on the shores of Lake Tanganyika.

Yesterday one of the participants, the detective who famously remarked "long time, no see, Ronnie," to fugitive train robber Ronnie Biggs when he tracked him down to a Rio de Janeiro hotel in 1974, died at the age of 81. Four years ago, not long after being diagnosed with cancer, Jack Slipper, or Slipper of the Yard, as he was always known, remarked: "I am older than Ronnie and it would give me great satisfaction to outlive him to show that my way of life was the best in the end."

In the end, Biggs, now desperately ill in prison and reportedly struck by MRSA, survived the man with whom he will be forever associated.

As a young detective sergeant, Jack Slipper had been a member of the squad that hunted the gang responsible for the 1963 great train robbery. Biggs had been jailed with the rest of them but had climbed over the wall of Wandsworth jail and disappeared.

When he was finally found in Brazil, it was Chief Superintendent Slipper who was sent out to bring him triumphantly home. But Biggs slipped through a loophole in Brazilian law because his girlfriend, Raimunda, was pregnant and Mr Slipper had to fly home with an empty seat beside him on the plane as a poignant reminder of the one who got away.

The episode became the subject of a BBC television film over which Mr Slipper successfully sued, claiming that it unfairly portrayed him as "the fall guy in an Ealing comedy".

Yesterday one of the first to offer condolences to Mr Slipper's family was Michael Biggs, the son whose birth saved his father from a lifetime in jail, although Ronnie Biggs returned to Britain in 2001 and gave himself up because of illness.

"Even though my father and Mr Slipper were on different sides of the fence, there was a very high and mutual respect between them," said Michael Biggs, who has been campaigning for his father to be released to spend his final days with his family.

"A clear sign of that is the fact Mr Slipper visited my father twice in Brazil. Our thoughts are with his family."

"He was one of the old school," said one retired bank robber in recognition of the old-fashioned style of a detective who believed in "coppering" and golf, and who found today's police service "too political".

"He was always affable," said Bruce Reynolds, who masterminded the great train robbery and who described the 6ft 3in ex-RAF Slipper as a "gentle giant."

He was famous for his neatly trimmed moustache and military bearing and, although irritated by all the jokes about the "slip-up" with Biggs, bore no grudges and was always happy to discuss the case, even admitting to a grudging respect for the man who eluded him for so long.

The Metropolitan police commissioner, Sir Ian Blair, said he was verysorry to hear of Mr Slipper's death.

"I served under Jack Slipper's command as a detective constable while he was detective chief superintendent," said the commissioner. "I regarded him as the finest detective of his time and it was his inspiration that led me to work in CID for much of my career."

Other fellow officers joined in the plaudits for a man who also successfully investigated the fatal shooting of three police officers in Shepherds Bush in 1966. This led to the jailing of three men, one of whom, Harry Roberts, is still in prison.

"Through the illustrious history of the Flying Squad, Jack Slipper is a name that sits above all others as a tenacious investigator and well-respected head of the Flying Squad," said Detective Chief Superintendent Barry Phillips of the Flying Squad. "His detective ability, professionalism, commitment and dedication is something that all detectives should aspire to."

Mike McAdam, a former detective chief inspector on the Flying Squad and close friend of Mr Slipper, said: "Detective Chief Superintendent Slipper was one of the finest detectives in the last century. New Scotland Yard has a worldwide reputation and the name Jack Slipper, or Slipper of the Yard, is synonymous with the Yard."

As for the "long time, no see, Ronnie" remark, that may become the subject for an academic thesis.

In his book, The Train Robbers, Piers Paul Read suggests that Mr Slipper really said: "Nice to see you, Ronnie, it's been a long time."

Mr Slipper, who went on to a career in construction and as a media commentator on crime after retiring from the Met, leaves a wife of 57 years, Annie, two daughters and five grandchildren. His funeral will be held next week.

• 3 years later...

Parole refused 'cos he's never expressed regret at the robbery.They may as well let him out he's half dead anyway...save the taxpayer some money and make room for a drug pusher in the nick.

Just heard that the police search for Keith Bennets body is called off after searching Saddleworth Moor for over 40 years.Ian Brady refuses to disclose to the police where he is buried.That's one bloke I'd like to get at with a blowlamp...I'd make the scum talk...mental patient or not.

Bennets Mum has suffered 45 years not knowing where her son is...poor old biddy.

From todays Guardian.

It's six years since I first met Ronnie Biggs in Belmarsh prison. He was a pitiful sight. After three strokes he couldn't say a word. All he could do was tap out words painfully slowly on an alphabet board. He was bent double and dribbled, and fed liquid food through a tube inserted into his stomach. Biggs was 73 then, and the notion that he posed a threat to decent people was laughable.

I visited him with his devoted son Michael over the period of a year. Communication didn't get easier, but I did feel I got to know the man. It was strange that he was known as one of the great train robbers because if there was one thing Biggs wasn't great at, it was robbing. He was a useless robber, and that's why his accomplices had never let him on the train in the first place.

In his time, Biggs had been crude, dishonest and foolish, but he was the ulitmate likeable rogue. How the establishment resented him for laughing in their face – for doing a runner, for revelling in the sun and fun of Rio, for lifting up a flute of champagne on the beach and crowing: "Here's looking up the Queen's skirt."

He was convinced that's why they wanted to keep him in jail – not for his crime, but because he had made a laughing stock of the great and the good. In that sense, he argued, he was a political prisoner. Was he repentant? He wished he hadn't been caught. Has he served his time? He's done eight years in this stretch alone, at a cost of more than £2,000 a day to the taxpayer.

My abiding memory is of his smile. On one visit, he played in blissful silence with a toddler visiting his dad. The boy was captivated. When I asked Biggs why people liked him despite his crimes and misdemeanours, he spelled out the answer: "M.Y C.H.A.R.M."

That's all well and good but....... because he escaped from prison and spent 35 years on the run, he hasn't done his sentence for the crime he committed.

As was said on the radio....if he had done his time, he would be a free man by now. No sympathy here.

I know what you're saying ...but he's an old crippled man now...a prisoner in his own body if nothing else.

I'd rather see a thieving MP take his place...or how about Blair ...responsible for the deaths of thousands...and free as a bird.