If it is the same lad who fell,his name was "Jack laing" who lived on Gainsford crescent,and yes the hospital was an isolation one and thats were we went scrumping the back of it backed on to the railway and we knew it as Whitewall,the front went on to hucknall rd and was known as Redwall (wall still there).i delivered newspapers to the hospital and with it being an "isolation" hospital we used to throw them thru the windows.my mother worked there as a seamstress.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ashley, by messing around with various bits, I've got it in a format where the world can see it.

Weekday Cross Great Central Mainline

neither do the people of Hyson Green, Beeston or Clifton! (in my opinion)

Yes my Dad who was a "railway man" always talked about Bagthorpe" and i never really knew where he meant,although i believe part of the "City hospital was also refered to as "Bagthorpe"

Here's a quote below from an article about workhouses including Bagthorpe:-

"The workhouse later became Nottingham Poor Law Institution then in 1937 was renamed Valebrook Lodge. The infirmary, originally known as Bagthorpe Infirmary, was called City Infirmary from 1930-37, then City Hospital. After the inauguration of the National Health Service in 1948, the workhouse section of the premises was initially known as City Hospital South. In 1951, it became Sherwood Hospital and provided accommodation for chronic cases until 1983. Most of main workhouse buildings no longer exist but the administrative block, chapel, and other surviving buildings now form part of Nottingham City Hospital."

• Upvote 1

The area around the Rathole and Arnold Road may have included Bagthorpe Curve, but it wasn't the location of Bagthorpe Junction.

That was on the GC near where the line crossed Valley Road; as the RCTS photos show:- http://www.rcts.org.uk/features/mysteryphotos/show.htm?location=Bagthorpe%20Jct.&serial=2&img=65-33-29

Does anyone know why there is ? (or was till about 10 years ago) an old single decker tram in the grounds of Nottingham City Hospital, as I recall the later buildings had been sort of built around it, was in the area east of the outpatients and north off the long corridor (I think)

The Bagthorpe Curve seen on the left in that photo led from Bagthorpe Junction which was actually just 2 sets of points connecting the GCR to the GNR, Not sure if the "rathole line" had an official title, but that did the opposite connecting the GNR to the GCR

Re #156. I think it was used by the younger patients at one time. I saw it last time I w2ent to visit someone in there.

As promised in post 150 have found and uploaded to photobucket a picture of the turntable at Basford North/ Basford and Bulwell, only since I last used photobucket they have meddled with such and I can now no longer send to Nottstalgia without access to every other photo I have on pc! any ideas how to place just that one photo here? or I could send as email and someone else post it in the topic?

Photograph probably taken off Arnold Road looking towards Basford North station

G.C.R. main line behind photographer.

The row of wagons at the top of the picture are on the G.N.R line to Derby.

Photograph was NOT taken in summer :)

hi ashley hope this info will help you with your photobucket problem - if you go to the photo you want to display here on photobucket on the right hand side of the photo should be 4 options choose the html one it should briefly say "copied" then open the page here where you are going to put it in a post and go to reply but choose more reply options and tick enable html and then right click your mouse and choose paste then click on post and the photo should now appear here

i did try to send you this info in a message but it said your inbox was full

Well done cliff ton,never thought a picture of that turntable would turn up,if ive got my directions right the taller building (centre right) is the "Standard of England" pub on Park lane,which was my Grandparents local.

Thanks for that, Comparing the photo and the map side by side those carriages would be on the siding off the turntable line, and the signals above them for the bagthorpe curve joining the GNR? the trucks on the latter would be on a moving train and they hide the line to the rathole, To find such on street view go on Arnold Rd just past Barlock Rd, one of the embankments of the lines over the former can still be seen, both in real life and aerial view on google

if you reverse the street view you'll see the remains of the embankment (south side of Arnold Rd) and that little road you see takes you up to a warehouse car park built on top of the embankment

if you reverse the street view you'll see the remains of the embankment (south side of Arnold Rd) and that little road you see takes you up to a warehouse car park built on top of the embankment

And if you go slightly further down Arnold Road to here https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.98931,-1.17464,3a,75y,219.57h,93.78t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sQ-OfNOjc3g2pxcaVGFP8cg!2e0?hl=en you see a small embankment behind the red sign. That is the cut-down embankment of the link from the GC which went over the road to the GN line towards Basford.

I'm not sure Cliff Ton? when I follow your link I am took further UP Arnold Rd? Memory defeats me for certain, it's over 15 years since I explored that area, but on the south side of the road the embankment of the GCR to GNR branch was far wider, originally carrying 6 or 7 lines, ( though only 2 crossed the bridge) and was still wide enough to later build the warehouse/factory c/w with massive car park on top of it wheras the GCR main line had only 2 lines, what's needed is a real life visit? Thinking about I cant find any photos of the bridges on Arnold Rd either?