Hiya,

I'm a student and I've been set the assignment of making a documentary. It can be on any chosen topic and well as you might have guessed, I've chosen the old railway tunnels.

My question is which tunnels can you still access today if any at all? Or if need-be get close to.

Also I've been told their is one near Canning Circus? But can't find anything about it. Any ideas?

Ollie

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ashley, by messing around with various bits, I've got it in a format where the world can see it.

Weekday Cross Great Central Mainline

neither do the people of Hyson Green, Beeston or Clifton! (in my opinion)

Nottinghamshire tunnels past & present

(Ratcliffe on Soar tunnels are in Rushcliffe therefore are in Nottinghamshire)

1. Annesley Tunnel, Midland Railway now Robin Hood Line, Kirby-in-Ashfield

2. Ashwell Tunnel, Nottingham Suburban Railway, Nottingham

3. Drakeholes Tunnel, Chesterfield Canal, near Wiseton

4. Mansfield Road Tunnel, Great Central Railway, Nottingham

5. Mapperley Tunnel, Great Northern Railway, Nottingham

6. Park Tunnel, between The Park and Derby Road in Nottingham built for horsedrawn carriages

7. Redhill Tunnel, near to Radclife-on-Soar Power Station

8. Sherwood Tunnel, Nottingham Suburban Railway, Nottingham

9. Sherwood Rise Tunnel, Great Central Railway, Nottingham

10. Sneinton Tunnel, Nottingham Suburban Railway, Nottingham

11. Stanton Tunnel, Railway Test Track, Stanton on the Wolds

12. Thorneywood Tunnel, Nottingham Suburban Railway, Nottingham

13. Victoria Street Tunnel also known as Weekday Cross Tunnel, Great Central Railway, Nottingham

14. Watnall Tunnel, (268 yards) Great Northern Railway, Watnall near Kimberley

add to list Basford Tunnel (the rathole) only 90yds long but still named with sign, have also seen branch to brickworks route at Thorneywood Station referred to going through a tunnel as opposed to a bridge under Porchester Road

Seem to recall the tunnel being used by HGV's during the building of the power station to transport aggregates from the gravel works on the Beeston side of the river, (possibly Butterly aggregates), aggregates were also shipped in from the gravel quarries in the Hilton area which was along the then A50/A38 roads (Hilton gravels)I think Kier was one of the main contractors moving aggregates and concrete along with Hoveringham gravels

Rog

Thanks everyone, some very useful infomation given to me.

We would of course appreciate the results of your research feeding back into the forum, if there is content not already covered here.

You might even credit our site and its members in your project :rolleyes:

Yes, the third tunnel at Ratcliffe is for feed water to the power station. I have walked through it several times! The power station does not discharge it's cooled water back to the river as many of the older stations do - it recycles it to feed water. The tunnel only carries additional feed water or "make up" water to replace that lost to vaporisation so the piping is relatively small.

We're a bit short on railway tunnels here in Essex, the only ones I can think of are at Audley End, like Haddon Hall, built to shield the excrescence of the railway from the Lord of the Manor and having very ornate portals, apart from the bit that faces the common people of course, I have a lovely home video of 'Britannia' bursting out of this on a steam special to Ely.