• 1 year later...

Oh good. I was beginning to think I was the only one on this forum that had gone there!

I went back a few years ago to look at where I used to go to school and was surprised to find that it was all 'fenced in'.

Bramcote Hills Secondary Modern was built just after the war (1948 I think) and was a very well equipped school in a nice location. Loads of playing fields and facilities. A running track, fully equipped gym. Even the assembly hall was a proper working theatre with dressing rooms, a stage and projection facilities. Woodwork rooms with proper lathes and a metal workshop that had oxy-acetylene equipment and a forge (!)

Amazing now when I think of it. I don't remember any shortages of things like books and equipment.

It was generally reckoned that most boys would leave to work at Stanton Ironworks, but quite a lot of us went on to further education. Which proves that Secondary schools didn't necessarily mean second-class education.

Anyway, you're memories would be welcome.