Wasn't Colwick cheese a victim of the "salmonella scare" some years ago? It used to be an occasional treat in our house, I think Wheldon's dairy sold it, as our local milkman (Jack Paling from Lowdham) got his milk from there.

I vaguely remember seeing something in the Evening Post about production being stopped due to the inevitable "Elf and Safety" stuff.

Seem to remember also it came in a round packet, wrapped in some sort of muslin stuff, with red writing on it.

I asked our local greengrocer if she stocked it recently and she said it has been banned....like you say due to health and safety as it is made with unpasturised milk...such a shame, was great stuff!!!!

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I remember Colwick Cheese - my dad used to sell it in his shop on Colwick Road. I believe it was made from unpasteurised milk, and fell foul of EC prohibition, once we joined up in 1973.

I was walking along the road the other day and some chav chucked a big lump of cheese at me. I thought that's not very mature.

When I lived in Colwick (about 1962), I used to knock about on motorbikes with a lad called Trevor Shuttleworth. He lived in one of a group of really ancient looking tumbledown cottages. They are long

I used to really like Colwick Cheese. I haven't heard anybody mention it for years and was beginning to think it was a product of my imagination. :-)

I recall they used to sell it on a stall on Victoria Market, at the south end upstairs facing the record stall.

Take one pint of full cream milk amd let it go sour. Strain it through a piece of cloth - an old sock is ideal but I BEG YOU TO WASH IT FIRST - put the solids into a bowl and mix in a little salt (I also add black pepper) and put it in the fridge to solidify and there you have a passable Colwick Cheese! Mind, if you buy the Frech Boursin its infinitely better! Du Panne, Du Boursin Du BLISS!

• 2 months later...

I remember Colwick Cheese - my dad used to sell it in his shop on Colwick Road.

I believe it was made from unpasteurised milk, and fell foul of EC prohibition, once we joined up in 1973.

Eyup Ron, sorry this is off-topic but do you by chance inhabit the R2OK board as well?

• 1 year later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I used to love a bit of Colwick Cheese too , glad to see it could be making a come back.

• 5 months later...

Colwick Cheese the only cheese i don't like the old cottage were it was made is still there.

It was made by a Mrs Brown and she sold it in the market square she died in 1805.

As for as i know it is still made by a butcher on Maperley Top.

John.

I used to love Colwick Cheese when I was young. When I left Notts. I started making my own imitation but sometimes I ended up with a bag of mould.

Mother used to buy it whenever she went in Burtons under the Council House.Didn't they stop making it because the process didn't meet modern standards with regard to the bacteria formed in the manufacture? Funny how our grandparents didn't all drop dead after eating it... :rolleyes:

• 3 years later...

When I lived in Colwick (about 1962), I used to knock about on motorbikes with a lad called Trevor Shuttleworth. He lived in one of a group of really ancient looking tumbledown cottages. They are long gone, but they used to be on the site of the car park, situated where Sluice Gates Road meets the loop road. He had a rumour (no more than that), that Colwick cheese used to be made in those cottages. I give you this for what it's worth!

• Upvote 1

Gave Wetherspoons a miss today,went in late yesterday morning,full of kids,(mostly my Grandkids) so had Colwick cheese substitute at home,Philly on pyclets.