• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I remember Colwick Cheese - my dad used to sell it in his shop on Colwick Road. I believe it was made from unpasteurised milk, and fell foul of EC prohibition, once we joined up in 1973.

I was walking along the road the other day and some chav chucked a big lump of cheese at me. I thought that's not very mature.

When I lived in Colwick (about 1962), I used to knock about on motorbikes with a lad called Trevor Shuttleworth. He lived in one of a group of really ancient looking tumbledown cottages. They are long

When I lived in Colwick (about 1962), I used to knock about on motorbikes with a lad called Trevor Shuttleworth. He lived in one of a group of really ancient looking tumbledown cottages. They are long gone, but they used to be on the site of the car park, situated where Sluice Gates Road meets the loop road. He had a rumour (no more than that), that Colwick cheese used to be made in those cottages.

I can't find a road called Sluice Gates Road, now or in the past. Is it also known as something else?

Clifton

The river road I posted leads to the sluice gates through colwick park, maybe before the park it was Sluice gates road ? I've never known any other access to the sluice gates and I fished first then sailed there many years from being a kid. There was no road access from the West end at all.

My dad used to love colwick cheese but haven't got a clue where mum got it from, maybe Marsdens on Mapperley tops.

trevor shuttleworth used to give me a lift on his motor bike to work we worked at tagg elect must have been 1966

he had a brother david they moved to vale rd after the cottages were demolished

• 4 weeks later...

I think "Sluice Gates Road" was just what we called it in the family. It could be River Road. Anyway, it's the road that leads from the Loop Road junction, to the sluices gates themselves, through the former gravel workings that are now the lakes of Colwick Park.

If anyone knows Trevor Shuttleworth, say hello to him from me - he won't remember me!

Re banjo48's link in #22, apart from the fact that I can't make the link work, no these were not the cottages. Trevor's were definitely demolished to make way for the car park. The houses over the road belonged to a family called Bagguley. They were quite posh, compared to we sn*t-nosed Colwick kids! I once acted as a teller for them in an election - I regret their candidate was of the same persuasion as the present government. "Won't get fooled again" - The Who.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...

As a young un, I enjoyed eating Sandwiches that were made with Colwick Cheese and Cucumber Slices (that had been soaked in Vinegar for a couple of days). The Chemical contrast complimented each other and made for a tasty combination. It is a popular Culinary concept that works well in 'Crisps' for example; Cheese and Onion, Salt and Vinegar and many more contrasting combinations of  foods that perhaps, do not occur to us and take them for granted as we wolf them down.

What kind of cheese is it, anyway?  Never had any.  Is it hard or soft?  What's the nearest to it in cheeses I might know?  

My dad was a huge fan of Colwick cheese in a sandwich with fresh cucumber although I wasn't taken.

IIR it was sold in butchers shops like Dewhursts and was round and wrapped in paper.

Dewhurst also sold beef and pork dripping which was very tasty on toast. I think it's been mentioned on here before but tripe and onions cooked in milk was a favourite in our house in the 50s. Liver and kidney were also popular and my dad used to like heart but we didn't have it often.

Bitter and sour that's my recollection too

Love Stilton and Saint Agur. Lymeswold was delicious too but I don't think you can get it anymore

• Upvote 1

Mess,We used to like Lymeswold as well and  I had completely forgotten about it until  i read your post. Apparently it was discontinued in 1992. There are quite a few references to the cheese on the Internet, so I chose this link.

http://www.foodsofengland.co.uk/lymeswoldcheese.htm

Fascinating. Thanks for the link Carni.

BTW as a kid I used to think Stilton smelt awful but when I was in my twenties I was egged on to taste it and was hooked thereafter.

My paternal grandfather, Ernest Edwin Sparrow, also liked cheese. He would purchase an entire gorgonzola, make holes in it, fill these with port and then, wrap the whole lot up and stash it away for several months.

My father recalled being despatched to buy a bottle of port from one of the inns of Beeston when he was a child. It was evening, dark, and he took the short cut through Beeston Parish churchyard on his way home with the bottle tucked under his arm.

At some point, he had the living daylights scared out of him when something all in white rose up from behind a table tomb and moved towards him. Terrified, he jettisoned the bottle and ran like the wind all the way back to number 12 Chapel Street where he got a good hiding from his father.

It later emerged that someone had been defacing gravestones in the churchyard and, in an effort to catch the culprits, a watchman had been posted with the idea of deterring vandals!

My father inherited his dad's love of smelly cheeses but although I'm not averse to a bit of stilton, I draw the line at gorgonzola!

Nice story Jill

I've heard of port being poured into Stilton too.

As for strongly smelling cheese I believe that Roquefort is pretty pongy Could be because it's made from ewe's milk and Limburger which is made from goats milk is supposed to smell pretty bad too.

A big cheese fan!  We had Colwick cheese at home - delicious,  with the cucumber and onion in vinegar.  My Mum was quite adventurous for those days, so we had Gorgonzola and Dolcelatte when she could afford them.  Now I love Brie, Strong Cheddar, Feta, Goats Cheese and Manchego