• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I remember Colwick Cheese - my dad used to sell it in his shop on Colwick Road. I believe it was made from unpasteurised milk, and fell foul of EC prohibition, once we joined up in 1973.

I was walking along the road the other day and some chav chucked a big lump of cheese at me. I thought that's not very mature.

When I lived in Colwick (about 1962), I used to knock about on motorbikes with a lad called Trevor Shuttleworth. He lived in one of a group of really ancient looking tumbledown cottages. They are long

Having worked in France for a while and had lots of holidays there over the last 30+ years, I developed a liking for goats cheese.  When I gave some to my Mum, she thought it was just like Colwick cheese.  Goats cheese in France is often unpasteurised, and haven't noticed  huge numbers of deaths from eating it

I quite enjoyed Colwick cheese. I don't agree it had a "gone off milk" flavour - it had a nice acidity and was very good on a sandwich with cucumber and pepper. There was a cheese that showed some resemblance to Colwick cheese called  St Ivel Lactic Cheese. Not quite the same stuff but it had this same acidic character. I doubt it is available now.

A number of the French fresh goats cheeses (Chèvre) are similar to Colwick cheese but I doubt they would travel very well away from their area of manufacture.

I did try once making my own lactic cheese by mixing lactic acid with milk and collecting and pressing the curds. It was quite nice but not the same as the real thing.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I noticed in the Nottingham obits an obituary for Brian John Barnsdall who was formerly the owner of The Richmond Dairy in Mapperley. They made the famous Colwick Cream Cheese so much loved in our household when I was a child.

When 'er indoors was pregnant with our first, back 66/67 I was the one with cravings and it was Colwick cheese ! Couldn't get enough of it.